USC Scripter Nominees

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The winner was announced to be the all-living No Country for Old Men scribes...shock there (who actually thought they'd ignore the opportunity to recognize Cormac McCarthy? It's not like Upton Sinclair's still alive to accept the award).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

dws1982 wrote:Into the Wild is one that I can't get my finger on in terms of Oscar prospects.

Honestly, there are a lot of films this year I feel like I can't get my finger on. The only two I feel confident about are No Country for Old Men (with the question mark being if Jones can join the film's nomination total) and Michael Clayton (three acting nods and the script are safe, I still think Picture is a good bet too.)

I totally agree with dws's take on Into the Wild.

Atonement could be the nomination leader or miss nods for all of its cast and director.

There Will Be Blood could be this year's Thin Red Line (doing WAAY better than anyone expected) or this year's Far From Heaven (some categories can't be ignored...but a lot can).

Sweeney Todd's tech nods seem safe. But can it nab Picture, Director, Actor, and Actress, or will it experience an Evita-like Oscar nod morning after Globe success?

American Gangster could pick up Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actress, and Screenplay spots. Or it could miss them all.

Will Juno be limited to Actress & Screenplay slots? Or will the Little Miss Sunshine crowd push this little underdog farther than seems possible at this point?

How far can The Diving Bell and the Butterfly go?

How deep is the love for Lars and the Real Girl, Eastern Promises, and Elizabeth 2 (all films most of thought were D.O.A. a while ago)?

Can Amy Ryan possibly claw her way into the Supporting Actress lineup? (Okay, I kid. It's not ALL up in the air...)

Edited By The Original BJ on 1199428640
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Into the Wild is one that I can't get my finger on in terms of Oscar prospects. It could potentially be the leader on nominations day, since Atonement seems to be fading, No Country doesn't seem poised to rake in a lot of tech nominations, and especially given the way we've seen lower than normal totals in recent years--if all of its contending categories pan out, it could bet Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor/Actress, Screenplay, Cinematography, Score, Song (x2), and maybe even a surprise mention for Editing if it's really well-liked by the Academy. And yet, I can't think of a single category where I'd call it a lock for the nomination. There aren't usually locks in the Song category; Holbrook seems likely, but I could see him getting edged out; and so on.

I'd say the most likely scenario for Into the Wild though, is somewhere around 5-7 nominations. I do think it'll make the Best Picture lineup, mainly because the field seems to be thinning considerably--Atonement may not make it; Sweeney Todd has not exactly lit up the box-office; There Will Be Blood seems very divisive.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I may eat my words after the guilds next week, but all I see are acting nods. It hadn't received any substantial precursor support until that freak day at the SAGs.

And I'm holding on to Zodiac for as long as I can. Personal preference.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1199421950
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Okri wrote:Short stories can compete (or at least could - Brokeback Mountain was nominated here, as was The Illusionist).
Oh, that's right!

And now I remember...Brokeback's baffling loss to Capote....
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sonic Youth wrote:
anonymous wrote:I think Zodiac will be bumped at the Oscars by The Diving Bell and The Butterfly which wasn't eligible here.

I'm calling Zodiac. I see Into the Wild falling short in most categories.
Why?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

anonymous wrote:I think Zodiac will be bumped at the Oscars by The Diving Bell and The Butterfly which wasn't eligible here.
I'm calling Zodiac. I see Into the Wild falling short in most categories.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Penelope wrote:

Why wasn't it eligible? Does the source have to be American, or originally in the English language?
Foreign language entries are not eligible.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Why wasn't it eligible? Does the source have to be American, or originally in the English language?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Short stories can compete (or at least could - Brokeback Mountain was nominated here, as was The Illusionist).
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think Zodiac will be bumped at the Oscars by The Diving Bell and The Butterfly which wasn't eligible here.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Ah...my alma mater.

Very good list this year (though, of course, it would have been even greater had The Assassination of Jesse James been on it.) Nice to see Zodiac bump less impressive late-year efforts like The Kite Runner and Charlie Wilson's War.

Was Away From Her eligible? Can films based on short stories compete here, or just novels?
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I doubt Fantastic Four was eligible.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Penelope wrote:but Into the Wild and Zodiac are middle-brow entries at best.

Which doesn't tell me they're less worthy.
I'd say they were less worthy, not only of Atonement or No Country, but also of, say, Away From Her, The Assassination of Jesse James..., The Diving Bell and the Butterfly or even Fantastic Four 2.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Oops - I thought since it was taken from his diaries he was given credit. My bad.

Return to “The 8th Decade”