[PO] Penelope's Elimination Game

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Shame that Menken's glorious score for Beauty and the Beast was revoked an Oscar but Morricone's work on Bugsy and Williams' on JFK are worthy as well.

Wow. I haven't seen a single one of these. I'll just give it to Mervyn LeRoy for Random Harvest.

Reza gets Best B&W Cinematography, 1942.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've listened to Catch Me If You Can a few times, but even it pulls strains from his past work. In particular, the opening number, which is his most inventive, eventually gets away from its catchy music and devolves into another retread of Jurassic Park. The same goes for the Harry Potter scores. I would have to say Schindler's List seems to be the farthest from any of his other scores, IMO.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Great! Williams has this tendency of "oversigning" his scores, I mean, for one reason or another he (amazingly, though) reinvents himself, but his signature is all around his themes. The prominent use of horns, the mesmerizing ostinatos underlying some of the main themes, and the melodic/epic spirit of them. JFK has a wonderful, intriguing and effective score that doesn't sound so Williams as much as some others (maybe the short-phrase-based main melody, but the arrangement and the orchestration gives it a total different sound. Probably his most unique score is the one from "Catch me if you can", a gem in its own right that easily can trascend the films boundaries, followed by the aching Schindler's List.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Harry, good choice. I am completely with you on Raging Bull.

This is a real tough year. I am tempted to use my remaining pass to preserve the score to Beauty and the Beast. It is one of the great scores of the past two decades. However, Menken has already gotten a PenelopOscar for the film and I can spread the wealth. John Williams is certainly an icon of film music, and where he is overrated (and overnominated) most of the time, JFK is one of his best scores. I'll give him the award here.

Sabin: Director 1942
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Coal Miner's Daughter -- Arthur Schmidt
The Competition -- David Blewitt
The Elephant Man -- Anne V. Coates
Fame -- Gerry Hambling
* Raging Bull -- Thelma Schoonmaker

I might be one of the very few that's not absolutely enthusiastic about Raging Bull, and one of the very few that doesn't include it in the kind of holy pantheom it already is. I find the film pretty hard to watch and the editing work might be superb but in my humble (and probably quite ignorant) opinion, I think the film is over-edited. It might have worked the when it was first ehibited but right now I don't buy it.

I haven't seen The Competition and I refuse to give this award to Fame, no matter how neat its editing work is. Coal Miner's Daughter is a little jem but its strength ain't really in this department.

I go with Anne V. Coates, a name I first heard when I was 12 watching the 66th ceremony. The editing in a film as strange as The Elephant Man surely was a work of love, trying to find the perfect rythm for a story like that.

FilmFan720... Original Score 1991
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

mlrg wrote:Cinemanolis: Supporting Acress 1941
The most memorable performance was Sarah Allgood's in 'How Green Was My Valley". She gets the award

HarryGoldfarb: Editing 1980
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

This one is very easy

Citizen Kane takes it

Cinemanolis: Supporting Acress 1941

Side note: my name is mLRg and not mRLg.... lol... check on your left
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:Okri: Editing, 1941
Actually, mrlg is up.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There weren't a lot of great scores this year, so I'll give it to John Williams for Prisoner of Azkaban (it was the only good film even in the bunch).

Okri: Editing, 1941
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

bump for Oscarguy.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I haven't seen The Spanish Main or A Song to Remember.

This probably belongs to Leave Her to Heaven, but I'm gonna go with Anchors Aweigh. I mean, Jerry and Gene? Sorry, but the six year old in me can't deny that.

Oscarguy, tackle original score, 2004.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Actually, since I'm running the game, I've given myself a special extension until the end of the day to get to this one. Thanks.
Thank you for at least crawling out from wherever u were hiding even if it was only to justify your usual rude and flippant behaviour. Oh wait....you aren't justifying your behaviour this time around at all. You are simply breaking a rule that you yourself imposed. It is perfectly acceptable to be busy elseshere but decency demands that you inform the other players in the game so as not to hold it up. And you do this on purpose on all the games which is incredibly juvenile of you.

Anyway enjoy this game guys. I am not interested anymore as I really have no desire to observe the juvenile antics of Flipp.

Joe you are sorely missed. You did a great job running this game but it was a BAD choice to relinquish it to somebody who is always in PMS mode.
Ha. This is cute.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Color Cinematography, 1945.
Since Flipp has not responded and it has been over 48 hours, the game can continue if Okri takes on this category.
Go ahead and take this one, Okri.

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:Actually, since I'm running the game, I've given myself a special extension until the end of the day to get to this one. Thanks.

Thank you for at least crawling out from wherever u were hiding even if it was only to justify your usual rude and flippant behaviour. Oh wait....you aren't justifying your behaviour this time around at all. You are simply breaking a rule that you yourself imposed. It is perfectly acceptable to be busy elseshere but decency demands that you inform the other players in the game so as not to hold it up. And you do this on purpose on all the games which is incredibly juvenile of you.

Anyway enjoy this game guys. I am not interested anymore as I really have no desire to observe the juvenile antics of Flipp.

Joe you are sorely missed. You did a great job running this game but it was a BAD choice to relinquish it to somebody who is always in PMS mode.

Edited By Reza on 1250869619
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Actually, since I'm running the game, I've given myself a special extension until the end of the day to get to this one. Thanks.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”