Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Changeling (2008) 8/10
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Indiana Jones and the something something Crystal Skull

Kinda fun, kinda stupid - 6/10
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Mamma Mia! 6/10

A film that had everything to be loved by me, however, for some reason I was disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high and the film clearly didn't live up to them. Or simply, it is a regular film. Entertainig? Yes, indeed. But uneventful in the end. Better acted than directed (actually, Phyllida Lloyd, if she's as good as people say in directing plays, she should stick to it cause when it comes to directing movies the woman has no talent), the film could have been way better. It feels rushed and disconnected. "Lay all your love on me" could have been a truly good scene, the definite romantic one, but in the end it was like they were trying too hard to make it everything: they tried to make it funny, romantic, intimate, corny, flamboyant, theatrical, choreographed, camp (specially camp) and in the end I didn't know what to do with it.

Of course I had a good time watching the film, as I said, it was entertaining to some level, but I wasn't satisfied by it. Thank god for Julie Walters and Christine Baranski, along with this relaxed Streep, they are the best of the film.

And by the way, let's keep Pierce Brosnan away (far, far away) from a singing part!
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Changeling (1980; Peter Medek) 8/10

Genuinely chilling horror/thriller with George C. Scott as a grieving composer who moves into a mansion with a very unhappy spirit. Taut, atmospheric direction, terrific score.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Quality Street (George Stevens) 7/10
The Gorgeous Hussy (Clarence Brown) 6/10
Magnificent Doll (Frank Borzage) 5/10
State of the Union (Frank Capra) 8/10
All the King's Men (Robert Rossen) 9/10
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

A Canterbury Tale - 9/10
Lovely, sweet, moving film, with grand location work and plenty of the moments of beauty I've come to expect from Powell & Pressburger. The simplicity of the slightly odd plot only enhances the film's many wonderful qualities.

Edited By rudeboy on 1225456564
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Damien wrote:
Cinemanolis wrote:Burn After Reading 3/10
What a disapointment!

Blindness 6/10
Wonderful work in the cinematography and editing departments

Hmmm how can a lousy film by the Coens be considered a disappointment?
I take it you don't have much love for the Coens. You are not alone, but i did expect more with such a cast. At least to laugh a bit. But noooo.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Death Race
7/10

Surprisingly entertaining.

:)
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Saw V
Actually, much better than Saw IV, although i didn't like the end...
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Cinemanolis wrote:Burn After Reading 3/10
What a disapointment!

Blindness 6/10
Hmmm how can a lousy film by the Coens be considered a disappointment?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Ghost Story (1981; John Irvin) 3/10

Hapless horror film about four old friends (Fred Astaire, John Houseman, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Melvyn Douglas) who are haunted by a decades-old secret. The Peter Straub novel certainly had potential, and the old pros (and the genuinely errie Alice Krige) do what they can, but the inept direction, choppy editing, a ridiculous music score and a terrible performance by Craig Wasson torpedo the project.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Didn't see any movie today! What a sin! :O
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Burn After Reading 3/10
What a disapointment!

Blindness 6/10

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1225315766
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Reza wrote:
Cinemanolis wrote:Up next
Maurice
Prick Up Your Ears

What did you think of these films?
Haven't seen Maurice yet.

Prick Up Your Ears 8/10

I loved Gary Oldman's performance. Oldman showed such promise in this and in 'Sid and Nancy', that the rest of his career was a bit of a let-down. Vanessa Redgrave was also great in a role that was nothing important on paper, but she manages to give it importance and weight. As for Alfred Molina, i agree with flipp when he says it was a disgusting and desperate performance. Even though i realise that he did a brilliant job in such a demanding role, it failed to connect with me (which i suppose is good for me). Overall an underrated film with excellent perfomances.

I just saw the video comment from Ebert and Siskel from back then. Siskel was full of praises about Oldman and particularly about Molina and he said that they both deserved the Oscar in that year. Ebert was particularly impressed by Oldman and he said that he felt he was witnessing an actor like Olivier or Richard Burton in the making.

A pity that the film went un-noticed at the oscars, but it is understandable considering its subject matter and the academy voting of that period. By the way, what happened to Oldman's once promising career?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Vanessa Redgrave's performance in Prick Up Your Ears is fabulous. Alfred Molina is just vile beyond words. A disgusting and desperate performance. I suppose that was the character, though.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “Other Film Discussions”