Cinematography and Editing - A list of possibilities

1998 through 2007
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

rolotamsi, Ask the Dust has been on the shelves at video stores for so long now, I wouldn't be surprised if people forgot it was released this year.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Jeffrey Wells is beside himself with praise over 'Children of Men', calling it the best movie of the year. A bit much? Perhaps, but he calls Emmanuel Lubeszki's lensing the stuff of legends. Have we reason to suspect otherwise? Lubezki has shot all of Cuaron's movies to luminous effect and is a three-time Oscar nominee. I think he looks like a pretty solid bet.

Usually Cinematography nods match up with Best Picture in twos or fours, only once since I started watching in '95 has it been three or one (in 2002, with 'Chicago', 'Gangs of New York', and 'The Pianist').

This year's lineup for Best Picture (RIGHT NOW) seems to be 'Babel', 'The Departed', 'Dreamgirls', 'Little Miss Sunshine', and - now that the soon-to-be-infamous Eastwood shuffle is on - 'The Queen'. Of these only Ballhaus can be called an Academy fave with three nominations (for 'Gangs of New York' and 'The Fabulous Baker Boys' and 'Broadcast News' - but somehow not 'The Age of Innocence' or 'Goodfellas', though esteem for his career with Scorsese and Fassbinder overflow'th), and although Prieto is getting there with his 'Brokeback' nod and accolades for 'Frida', '25th House', '8 Mile', and his work Innaritu. It's possible, but I see 'Babel' dividing as many people as it wins over. Possible.

I don't see Soderbergh's alias Peter Andrews making it in for 'The Good German' out of snob appeal alone.

'Dreamgirls'' Tobias A. Schliessler seems a lock as part of the 'Dreamgirls' juggernaut.

I think Vilmos Zsigmond for 'The Black Dahlia' (no bad ink for him) and Emmanuel Lubezki for 'Children of Men' looks like decent picks. Tom Stern could cancel with himself, leaving one more slot to go to possibly Lance Acord for his first career nod for 'Marie Antoinette', Wally Pfisker for his second consecutive for 'The Prestige', Stuart Dryburgh his second for 'The Painted Veil', or even Dean Sembler for 'Apocalypto'.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Well, Out of Africa won the award, and this makes it look like Painted Veil stole every shot from that film, so...
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

"the painted veil" needs to be seriously considered for a cinematography nomination.
watch this trailer and then tell me it does not look impressive:
http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wip....700.mov
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Apocalypto; Dean Semler (though recent events may cloud this movie's chances at any nominations now)
agree
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

rolotomasi99 wrote:VILMOS ZSIGMOND
**THE BLACK DHALIA (BRIAN DE PALMA)
Mmm... Killing multiple birds with one stone.
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

So far, for Cinematography and Editing, I'm predicting these:

Cinematography

Across the Universe; Bruno Delbonnel
Apocalypto; Dean Semler (though recent events may cloud this movie's chances at any nominations now)
Dreamgirls; Tobias A. Schliessler
Flags of Our Fathers; Tom Stern
The Prestige; Wally Pfister

Film Editing

Babel; Stephen Mirrioine
The Departed; Thelma Schoonmacher
Dreamgirls; Virginia Katz
Flags of Our Fathers; Joel Cox
United 93; Claire Douglas, Richard Pearson & Christopher Rouse
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Jesse James has officially been put off to '07.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

i read that both the deakins films were 2007 releases, but they change the dates around so much i cannot keep up. if either one is a 2006, expect them to be nominated.
i saw the trailer for "the assasination of jesse james by the coward robert ford" and the cinematography looked great. kind of reminded me of "legends of the fall" -- brad pitt/wester/great cinematography.
the coen brothers always allow for great cinematography in their work. hopefully only one comes out this year so one does not get shut out.
as for "lady in the water," while shyamalan is an expert at using the camera to help tell the story in exciting ways, he is not known for "pretty" cinematography -- although "the village" came close with its nice use of shadow, natural candle light, and "good/bad" colors. however, you only get nominated for an oscar for pretty cinematography. why the academy thought "batman begins" gloomy (but striking which is the same as pretty) cinematography was better than the expert camera work "munich" is beyond me. the trailer for "lady in the water" does not scream pretty cinematography. doyle may have to wait until next year when peter weir's "shantaram" is released for his nomination.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Christopher Doyle should get his long, overdue Oscar nomination for Lady in the Water.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

You missed Roger Deakins, who will probably be nominated for either The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (easily the best movie title in years, maybe since personal favorite Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia) or Hail Caesar (if it is out by then). He will also probably be the best nominee by far, and lose to some ridiculous piece of crap.

Tripp
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

here is my early short list of picks for cinematography and editing noms. of course, this is simply based on looking at past nominees and the tops in each filed, and also looking at certain directors who are known for making films with good cinematography and editing.
obviously the real challengers will not reveal themselves until we can actually see the films, but i have seen some previews that look really good.
also, a film being nominated for best picture always helps its chances in these fields, particularly editing.
let me know what you think.

---CINEMATOGRAPHY---

=LIKELY=

DEAN SEMLER
*APOCALYPTO (MEL GIBSON)

STUART DRYBURGH
*THE PAINTED VEIL

PAWEL EDELMAN
*ALL THE KING'S MEN (STEVE ZAILLIAN)

TOBIAS SCHLIESSLER
*DREAMGIRLS

MICHAEL BALLHAUS
*THE DEPARTED (MARTIN SCORSCESE)

TOM STERN
*FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS (CLINT EASTWOOD)

=POSSIBLE=

CALEB DESCHANEL
**ASK THE DUST

ROBERT RICHARDSON
**THE GOOD SHEPHERD

EMMANUEL LUBEZKI
**THE CHILDREN OF MEN (ALFONSO CURAN)

VILMOS ZSIGMOND
**THE BLACK DHALIA (BRIAN DE PALMA)

RODRIGO PRIETO
**BABEL (ALEJANDRO GONZALEZ INARRITU)

PHILIPPE LE SOURD
**A GOOD YEAR (RIDLEY SCOTT)

BRUNO DELBONNEL
**ACROSS THE UNIVERSE (JULIE TAYMOR)

WALLY PFISTER
**THE PRESTIGE (CHRIS NOLAN)

=LONGSHOT=

CHRIS MENGES
***NOTES ON A SCANDAL

JOHN TOLL
***RISE
***SERAPHIM FALLS

DION BEEBE
***MIAMI VICE

BRUNO DELBONNEL
***INFAMOUS

DANTE SPINOTTI
***THE CONTRACT

REMI ADEFARASIN
***AMAZING GRACE

SEAMUS MCGARVEY
***WORLD TRADE CENTER

HARRIS SAVIDES
***ZODIAC

NEWTON THOMAS SIGEL
***SUPERMAN RETURNS

---EDITING---

=LIKELY=

THELMA SCHOONMAKER
*THE DEPARTED (MARTIN SCORSCESE)

JOEL COX
*FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS (CLINT EASTWOOD)

VIRGINIA KATZ
*DREAMGIRLS

TARIQ ANWAR
*THE GOOD SHEPHERD

WILLIAM GOLDENBERG
**MIAMI VICE (MICHAEL MANN)
PAUL RUBELL
**MIAMI VICE (MICHAEL MANN)

=POSSIBLE=

DAVID BRENNER
**WORLD TRADE CENTER (OLIVER STONE)
JULIE MONROE
**WORLD TRADE CENTER (OLIVER STONE)

ANGUS WALL
**ZODIAC (DAVID FINCHER)

STEVEN SODERBERGH
**THE GOOD GERMAN

STEPHEN MIRRIONE
**BABEL (ALEJANDRO GONZALEZ INARRITU)

=LONGSHOT=

DAN HANLEY
***THE DA VINCI CODE
MIKE HILL
***THE DA VINCI CODE

CONRAD BUFF
***SERAPHIM FALLS

MARK WARNER
***THE CONTRACT

LEE SMITH
***THE PRESTIGE (CHRISTOPHER NOLAN)

DODY DORN
***A GOOD YEAR (RIDLEY SCOTT)

ELLIOT GRAHAM
***SUPERMAN RETURNS
JOHN OTTMAN
***SUPERMAN RETURNS

Return to “The 8th Decade”