The Last King of Scotland's FYC Screener

1998 through 2007
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Maybe it will rise again with critics' awards, but Whitaker's stock seems to be falling. King of Scotland is already being booted out of theatres here in New York Vity, and, actually, I don't know a single person who has seen it, or has even expressed a desire to see it. I have close to no interest in sitting through the film, although at some point I will feel obligated. Whitaker will still be nominated, but it's very rare for a no impact movie to take a major Oscar.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Whitaker is a lock. Washington, maybe.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

criddic3 wrote:...On the other hand, Kerry Washington did.

Gillian Anderson's character (with accent) appears mostly at the beginning of the film. It is good to see her career being refreshed in movies like this and 'Tristram Shandy'. Kerry Washington gives the memorable performance though. However I don't hold out any hope for it being noticed come nomination time.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

criddic3 wrote:I agree Penelope, but I think if the Academy were to have nominated both actors from either film, they would have relegated Robbins and Washington to supporting.

Washington, maybe, although I doubt it. Robbins, definitely not - he would most certainly have been nominated in lead, as he was by the SAG.

Does anyone have any memory of how Denzel was campaigned? I always thought he was every bit as much a lead as Hanks, and that due to his star status as by then he would have been promoted as best actor.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I agree Penelope, but I think if the Academy were to have nominated both actors from either film, they would have relegated Robbins and Washington to supporting.

Aside from that, I do not see Anderson as a viable candidate this year, as her role was too small to make all that much of an impact on the film. On the other hand, Kerry Washington did.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Great to see Anderson being campaigned for.
For those who've seen Last King, may I know her screen time? And what are her chances in your opinion?
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I don't think there was any way anybody could consider Tim Robbins as Supporting in Shawshank; same with Washington in Philadelphia (personally, I had Washington nominated that year for Best Actor and NOT Tom Hanks).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

It's interesting to see this development, as it is the direct opposite of The Shawshank Redemption. In that film, Morgan Freeman's character is our eyes onto Tim Robbins. He was nominated, while Robbins was not. Had he been nominated, Robbins almost surely would have been added in supporting, though.

This is, however, what might have happened had Denzel Washington been nominated for Philadelphia. He is the one whose eyes we see the story through, but is not the true subject of the film.

In both years, the competition for supporting actor was packed with other terrific performances and so the borderline lead/support roles were left out in favor of others. It might be the case this year, which is filled already with top supporting performances like Michael Sheen, Adam Beach, Jack Nicholson, etc. If McAvoy makes it, I will be thrilled, but it will be tough.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I knew they would do it, but there is absolutely NO WAY on god's green earth that James McAvoy is supporting anybody. When will people stop falling for these flat-out ridiculous category placements? It's akin to placing Helen Mirren in support for The Queen.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Actor - Forest Whitaker
Best Supporting Actor - James McAvoy
Best Supporting Actress - Gillian Anderson
Best Supporting Actress - Kerry Washington
Best Cinematography
Best Art Direction
Best Film Editing
Best Original Score
Best Costume Design
Best Sound Mixing
Best Sound Editing
Best Makeup
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”