Foreign Film Submissions

1998 through 2007
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

jack wrote:What about 'Black Book' from The Netherlands? Imagine Paul Verhoeven as on Oscar nominee.
I'm already imagining him as the winner.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

tootpadu wrote:Verhoeven already was nominated once in the Foreign Language category, for Turks Fruit in 1974.

The film was called initially Turkish Delight and with that name was entered into the Academy´s database.
tootpadu
Graduate

Post by tootpadu »

jack wrote:What about 'Black Book' from The Netherlands? Imagine Paul Verhoeven as on Oscar nominee.
Verhoeven already was nominated once in the Foreign Language category, for Turks Fruit in 1974.

But another nom 33 years later would be nice all the same !
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

What about 'Black Book' from The Netherlands? Imagine Paul Verhoeven as on Oscar nominee.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I Know what happened. The mistake was made in the first two columns (country and film) from Romania on to the end. The last word of Romania´s submission pushed the space of the russian movie, 9th company, that was displaced toward the other line. And that happened with the last 12 countries. As for the director´s column, it is correct.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No, I didn't. I got it directly off the Academy release. I double-checked it and I double-checked my posting and there is not confusion. YOu may want to make sure your browser window is maximized.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:We no longer have to wonder what's submitted. The Academy released their list. Please find it linked on my website.

The Oscar Guy

Wes, you made a mistake in your listing. Spain and Sweden´s submissions are mixed up
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Volver is clearly the front-runner here, but The Lives of Others seemed to be the hit of Toronto, so I'd imagine it's a likely possibility as well. I bet Days of Glory (which won the Best Actor award at Cannes for its male ensemble) will also make it to a nomination.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Volver is a top contendor as far as what is the most popular among the contendors (though that usually never fairs well, but it is Almodovar). Water might sneak in as it had some decent indie buzz likewise Curse of the Golden Flower could bring Zhang Yimou a nomination he failed to earn for House of Flying Daggers. Those are the only three that I've really heard of and feel have the best chances at nominations. Of course, like I said, popularity means nothing in this catagory, so it is up to chance.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

We no longer have to wonder what's submitted. The Academy released their list. Please find it linked on my website.

The Oscar Guy

And as my note states, the Academy's press release indeed mentioned the Kaurismaki incident...very interesting (they're using the same tactics they use with the people they invite to become members).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”