Fall Predicitons

1998 through 2007
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

flipp525, I'll be interested in your checking back after you've finished the book. I liked reading it, but found the latter portions not particularly effective in wrapping it up into a dramatic whole; it seemed to me to sort of dribble away -- and I'm not sure how that'll play on screen.

I also question the web-focus on Connelly as potential supporting nominee, as her character seemed fairly uncompelling to me.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'm in the middle of "Little Children" by Tom Perrota right now and boy, is it ever compulsively readable. I think Patrick Wilson and Kate Winslet's characters have a lot of potential. If executed well, I think this film could definitely be picking up some nods, particulary in the acting and writing departments (Perrota's dialogue is very smart).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Ryan Murphy is a friend of mine (he's Bill Condon's ex), but Running With Scissors looks to me like a Royal Tannenbaums redux, and seems to fall into that category of fall release that gets some attention in October and then is forgotten by awards season (a la I Heart Huckabees, Shatered Glass).
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

God forbid Hilary Swank wins another undeserved Oscar!

I suppose part of the reason I´m hopeful that Bening goes Supporting is I´d hate to see a Lead face-off between 3 time loser Bening and 4 time loser Kate Winslet; I don´t know if I could survive Kate losing a 5th time!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'm gonna say Jennifer Hudson wins Best Supporting Actress for her film debut for matching the almost inconquerable Jennifer Holliday rendition of Effie in 'Dreamgirls'.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

It looks hard for Bening to win so far
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

After her messy marriage and her loose lips...on top of 2 Oscars already for Best Actress, Swank will be lucky to EVER be put into the same sentence as Katharine Hepburn, Jack Nicholson and Ingrid Bergman. Good grief, Meryl hasn't even gotten into that club yet.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

What if TADA... Swank makes it to supporting as well?
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

If Annette Bening gets another nomination this year, I'd expect her to win, unless her competition is deemed too good to lose.

If she makes it to supporting, I think she'll win. She's been nominated three times prior to this year, including two tight races with Hilary Swank in '99 and '04.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I will be out of town and am currently working on updates for the OFTA, however, I will probably have a new list next week.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Ben Affleck as Best Supporting Actor?
Are you mad ? ? ?
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Wesley, make a new update!!!

I want to see your new predictions! ;)
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I just saw the trailer for Infamous and it sure looks like they blew it last year or at the very least it should get all the nominations that Capote did assuming there aren't several movies that are better.

It will really be a shame if Toby Jones is as good as it appears and gets completely ignored because he wasn't "due" like the seemed to think PSH was and because of his win for the same role.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: it's going to depend on how Ryan Murphy has scripted the film--Annette Bening's character in the book is supporting--indeed, it could be argued that if one where to say the book has a female lead, then that would be Evan Rachel Wood as Natalie.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Rudeboy,
As for Running with scissors, I would consider Benning for lead and Clayburgh for supporting. IMHO Harris has a shot here.

Return to “The 8th Decade”