Happy birthday, ITALIANO!

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Happy belated birthday Italiano! I wish I could visit Italy soon.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Yes, a long time. Portugal and Spain may be Catholic, very Catholic even, but in Italy - historically and for centuries - the Catholic church has literally, physically grown up, developed, and established its political roots (and its connections with certain parts of Italy's political power).

Italians themselves are very tolerant - they were the first to elect a transexual in the Parliament, and even in the conservative, southern region of Puglia an openly gay guy was elected - twice - as Governor.

In the early 70s people here voted in favor of divorce and of legal abortion, something which shocked the Church which had actively campaigned against them. Now they will do their best not to lose again.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

ITALIANO wrote:Actually, a "civil partnership" law - similar to the French PACS - was about to be approved a few years ago but then the left-wing government more or less suddenly crashed. With Berlusconi it'd be unthinkable - the famous and self-proclaimed womanizer (and less self-proclaimed but still famous client of prostitutes) had made "traditiional family values" the centre of his political campaign (the Church, of course, approved). But in case another left-wing Prime Minister gets elected, a law of that kind will probably finally be made. For a true "gay marriage", though, I'm afraid Italy will have to wait a bit longer...
But would it really be such a long time? Portugal and Spain have legalized same-sex marriages and those countries are very strongly Catholic.

Also, congratulations.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Happy Birthday! (Belatedly...)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Actually, a "civil partnership" law - similar to the French PACS - was about to be approved a few years ago but then the left-wing government more or less suddenly crashed. With Berlusconi it'd be unthinkable - the famous and self-proclaimed womanizer (and less self-proclaimed but still famous client of prostitutes) had made "traditiional family values" the centre of his political campaign (the Church, of course, approved). But in case another left-wing Prime Minister gets elected, a law of that kind will probably finally be made. For a true "gay marriage", though, I'm afraid Italy will have to wait a bit longer...
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think Italy might be one of the last countries in the world to approve gay marriage...if ever. Only if the European Union required it and the Catholic Church lost its control over the country...it would be an interesting debate.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

True, and this is just one of the (several) reasons why my sunny country, despite the food, the wine, the art, the beauty, is FAR from perfect.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:Thank you, Damien.

No, well, Big Magilla, not "officially married"... but I've been living for the last two years with a very handsome, VERY complicated, IMPOSSIBLY young man from Lebanon, and this has kind of put an end to the Casanova in me. I'd lie if I said that I don't miss it from time to time - there are still plenty of chances around - but it's a choice that I don't regret.
Ah, well, if you lived in Canada or certain places in the U.S. you could be married.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Thank you, Damien.

No, well, Big Magilla, not "officially married"... but I've been living for the last two years with a very handsome, VERY complicated, IMPOSSIBLY young man from Lebanon, and this has kind of put an end to the Casanova in me. I'd lie if I said that I don't miss it from time to time - there are still plenty of chances around - but it's a choice that I don't regret.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Strange -- I did a Happy Birthday post earlier this afternoon and it seems to have disappeared. So again, I'll wish Buon Compleanno to one of the liveliest people here.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:In a way, I realize that some of the most exciting things that this life has given to me till now are, let's face it, behind me. But there are certainly other places, films, books there waiting to be discovered (no more sexual adventures though, not because of age but because I'm a married man now.)
Care to elaborate?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Thank you! This is the first birthday that I'm spending in Italy in a long time - I've become an uncle today for the first time and, well, you know Italian families... I had to be here. I had almost forgotten how beautiful my country can be in summer.

Turning 41 isn't as traumatic as turning 40 I must say - you get used to the idea that you are in your forties and well, you say to yourself that it's just the EARLY forties after all...

Strange to think that when I first started taking part in this board I was, I think, in my late twenties maybe - can it be possible? Or just thirty. My God - as Louella Parsons said, "tempus really fugit". How much enegy, how many posts, and, of course, how many fights!

In a way, I realize that some of the most exciting things that this life has given to me till now are, let's face it, behind me. But there are certainly other places, films, books there waiting to be discovered (no more sexual adventures though, not because of age but because I'm a married man now.)
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Buon compleanno!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Happy Birthday neighbor!
Reza
Laureate Emeritus