Happy birthday, ITALIANO!

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:Do you think that opening up the clergy to marriage would alleviate some of those proclivities? I'm not saying that pedophiles are innately drawn to the Catholic Church, but I wonder if a lack of release inhibits their moral judgments. Of course, it's entirely psychological, but the position of power over young children probably doesn't help matters much.
I personally don't think there isn't that much difference of a percentage of pedophiles among priests than there are among other professions. Two key differences: Priests are supposed to be celibate, holy vessels of goodness and for them to violate children in that manner makes their actions worse. The other difference is the Church's handling of it when they get caught. Other people when they caught, they get handed over to the police in most cases. But priests get transferred all over the place, allowing them to molest even more children.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Some of my friends call him Pope Palpatine because of his modest resemblance to Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars movies...of course, I don't entirely see it, but they share a similar evil bent...what happened to Ratzinger being the "interim" pope...he's sure been in there an awful long time.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I'm not sure if it's just "lack of release" - and as a certain kind of Italian press is even too often reporting, many Italian priests, despite celibacy, lead a quite fulfilling sexual life, either straight or gay - but I guess allowing marriage could be a partial solution, and a good thing. But with this Pope? Never.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1281630694
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Do you think that opening up the clergy to marriage would alleviate some of those proclivities? I'm not saying that pedophiles are innately drawn to the Catholic Church, but I wonder if a lack of release inhibits their moral judgments. Of course, it's entirely psychological, but the position of power over young children probably doesn't help matters much.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I still remember - I was a young boy, so not 100 yeeas ago - that when election day was getting close, the priest during the mass used to proclaim things like: "Anyone is free to vote for any political party, but I know the one I will vote for - Christian Denocracy". Christian Democracy, of course, always ended up being the number one party (the White Whate, as it was called), till the day when, quite predictably, a series of big corruption scandals - too many even for this too tolerant country - destroyed it (it was the party of Giulio Andreotti, the leading character in Il Divo). The Church, after a moment of confusion, quickly recognized in Silvio Berlusconi their new man (Father Verzè, a priest who's Berlusconi biggest fan, keeps calling him "sent by God", "God's gift to Italy", etc.). I don't think that priests still openly urge people to vote for him during the mass, and nowadays they'd certainly be less successful, but the message is clear for those who wants to follow it.

As for MY priest, the one who told us to vote Christian Democracy, he had a habit of asking young boys, during the confession, questions so intimate, so morbid, that at the time I didn't even understand most of them. But when I did, of course, I realized that my period as a devoted catholic was over forever.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's the boat the U.S. is in...and that's precisely what I was referencing, not that Italy was a Catholic country, but that the Catholic Church had its fingers very deep in the pockets of the country's government.
Wesley Lovell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Thank you danfrank.

Yes, it's more about the influence of religion (any religion I'd say) on a country's politics, something which shouldn't happen and which always prevents that country from becoming modern - but it happens, it happens often.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Damien wrote:The very Catholic country of Mexico has just gone gay.

My understanding is that Mexico City, DF (not the entire country) legalized marriage last December, and the law took effect in March. The Supreme Court just upheld that law, and also stated that those married in Mexico City would have their marriages recognized throughout the country. Same-sex couples are unable to legally marry in the rest of the country, though the state of Coahuilo has established civil unions.

I think Marco is right that the likelihood of legalizing same-sex marriage in a particular country has less to do with how Catholic that country is, but has more to do with the interface between Catholicism (or other religious factions, as is the case in the US) and the governing bodies.

Happy Belated Birthday, Marco!
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I will.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I didn't forget Milan and Lake Como - some day - alas, we're only stopping in Verona to see Juliet's balcony on the way from Florence to Venice.

I found a restaurant in Lucca on the internet that has pictures of mouth watering food and excellent reviews. It's called Ristorante All'olivo. Please ask your friends about it for me.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Also your tour - which sounds very well-planned - doesn't take you to my region (unless you forgot Milan or Lake Como). The closest you come to where I live is Verona - just one hour by car - and I could certainly meet you there if you think you have some time or a free evening.

Lucca is a very beautiful city. I have friends from where and when they come back from their holidays I will ask them about a restaurant which they can recommend.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:Gracias again! Of course in case any of you decides to visit Italy, just let me know it - I can be a very good guide, or at least we can have a good AUTHENTIC Italian dinner together.
Actually I will be in Italy for nine days - late September/early October. I'd love to meet you for dinner but it's one of those guided tour things - Rome, Pisa, Lucca, Siena, Florence, Verona, Venice, Assisi, etc. with not much free time but if you could recommend a restaurant in Lucca, I promised to take my cousin to one there for his birthday.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Gracias again! Of course in case any of you decides to visit Italy, just let me know it - I can be a very good guide, or at least we can have a good AUTHENTIC Italian dinner together.

It's true that at any age one can discover something new or exciting - what I mean is that I realize that the intensity one feels is a bit different, less strong. Love would be the obvious example, but I'm actually referring to other areas. One's way of appreciating things changes - not necessarily for the worst (I actually like it). Or maybe one just has less emotional energy to waste.

I'm glad for Mexico but, of course, it doesn't really have much to do with a country being more or less gay. As we all probably know, some of the "gayest" places in the world are the ones where officially homosexuality "doesn't exist" or is even actively persecuted. We have all been to countries where the eyes of men, their physical gestures or even their direct invitations said things that would be unthinkable in the areas we come from. Italy itself has a long tradition of natural, uncomplicated, healthy male-to-male "bonding", especially compared to the United States or England - whole books have been written about foreiogn intellectual or artists coming here to enjoy a more welcoming, warmer attitude towards their sexual orientation. But laws are often on a different - intentionally opposite, even - level, and laws are very important.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1281524068
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The very Catholic country of Mexico has just gone gay.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Happy Birthday Marco... haven't been around for the last few days... Sorry I missed this, but receive my hug. Hope that, despite what you said, life can always surprise you... hope you still get amazed with the things ahead.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “General Off-Topic”