R.I.P. Idgie

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Very sorry to hear of your loss Wes.

The death of a pet is horrible thing to go through.

My cats who are both approaching 14, have recently diagnosed health issues. Don't know how long they will last but I try to have an optimistic outlook on their future. Though I cannot help but dread having to take them to the vet when it is their time.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I can't tell you how sorry I am, Wes.

We almost lost my dog Annie twice in the past two years. She's a 14 year old Westie with drastically failing eye-sight. Recently her eyesight was incredibly improved through some minor surgery and she's been doing better, but there have been quite a few instances where it was insanely touch and go. I'm going back to Phoenix to take care of my family's house this week and care for Annie for a week and a half and just last night I had a horrible dream of her dying, which I have from time to time. It's so difficult when your pets get old. You want to block their mortality from your mind, but it's there. Just love the shit out of your dog while you can. Hug your grief for your cat out on your dog.

There will come a time when another cat enters your life. Just be open to the universe and it will provide you with another one of those strange beasties.
"How's the despair?"
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Sad to hear this Wes.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I.m so sorry abiut Idgie, Wes. The loss of a pet is one of the hardest and worst things to endure, particularly because the two of you communicate not through words but in primordial ways, depending on looking, touching, vocal tones, etc. We and our pets therefore interact in the most basic and primary means as if we own a part of each other's soul. And that is why a pet's death is so devastating and why I feel so bad for you.

Take care, and think of Idgie reunited with Savage and Agatha, chasing each other and having fun.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sorry to hear the sad news.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I am so sorry for the loss of your cat. :(
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

As most have no doubt, I named her after the character from Fried Green Tomatoes, sometime in the early-to-mid '90s. She was over 15 years if anything, but I don't know for certain as we don't still have her birth record.

Our calico was the last of our three cats, having outlived brother and sister Savage and Agatha over the last couple of years. She was the least friendly of the three, at least with me, but as each of the other two passed, she became more accepting of love, though still frustratingly aloof. She hadn't been running around the house, leaping up on tall precipices for some time now and I told my mother months ago she didn't look well and needed to go to the Vet. Two weeks ago, she finally agreed.

She had two enlarged heart valves and liquid in her lungs. They got the liquid out, but her heart condition almost ended her that day, but she pulled through. After that, she barely moved from one of two or three places in the house and barely had an appetite. Today she went in for a second check up and they decided that she had not improved enough and it was better for her if we put her down.

All that we have left is our dog Sabrina, who is too old now to go walking and has difficulty jumping up on the couch, but she's still peppy when she needs to be, loves rolling in the grass on a warm day and still gives wonderful lovins. But, one pet just doesn't seem like enough when, for nearly ten years, we had four. I doubt we will get another cat for some time, but it's still tough to lose a part of your family.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “General Off-Topic”