R.I.P. Cam Dagg

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I only just saw this today, and although I unfortunately never really knew Cam, I am saddened by the sorrow his passing has caused to his family, and to the posters here on the board. He sounded like a wonderful person and he led a great life full of love and laughter.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Guys. I can´t believe that happened. (I was on vacation during that time) I´ve just found a recent post from Damien in which he was referring to Cam´s widow, so I decided to check what´s going on. I want to express my condolences to Cam´s widow and to his family. I will miss him.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

I just found out today and I'm still in shock. This gives me a more strong feeling that we create bonds even with people we have never seen... our minds, our thoughts, our ideas are capable of joining human beings just by a matter of likes. This board is some kind of a family to me...

Cam, of course will be missed. May my condolences go to Cam's family,
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Cam was a sweet and honest soul who always said what he felt, no matter what the situation, with a charming grace I often lack in my own posts (which he was always quick to call me out on!). And, like someone else said downthread, he also gave us glimpses into what sounded like a rather quaint and fulfilling life with his lovely partner, Danae. Although we didn't always see eye to eye, I appreciated his no-nonsense candor. He sent me an email once to get some things off his chest about stuff going on on the board and told me that I was one of three UAADB people he most wanted to meet in person. I'm now sorry that meeting never came to pass.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to mourn the loss -- only from this board, not from this world, fortunately -- of Penelope. His was an important voice here (one cam also appreciated, by the way) adding a necessary counterbalance on several important topics. While laughable to some, his insights into certain derided genres were always extremely detailed, well-argued and thoughtfully crafted. And his reviews honed in on the human essence of a film in a meaningful, explorative way. His contributions on current events, particularly those that effect the gay community, were invaluable to me.

Edited By flipp525 on 1262706047
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

My condolences to Cam's family - what sad news.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Didn't see this before I posted on the previous thread. It's sad to hear this news but it's good to know he won't be in pain any longer.

Rest peacefully, Cam.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Cam's obituary:

Dagg, Campbell Colin ( Cam )
Born Vancouver , B.C. October 11th, 1937
Died January 1, 2010

The world has lost a bright light. It is with great sadness we announce the passing of Cam Dagg after a seven month battle with pancreatic cancer. Cam was the first son of the late Reginald and Julianne Dagg. He leaves behind his loving and dedicated wife of 47 years, Danae; daughter Kieran (Jen); son Chris “Tif” (Sakiko); grandchildren Peyton and Cooper; brother Chris “Kit” (Lindsay); nephew Alex; niece Caroline (Abdul); great-nieces Zahra and Samaa; our ‘adopted’ son Rick and many, many kind friends.

Cam had a natural joyful spirit. He had a generous nature and a positive outlook. He never stopped loving life and believed that it was important to learn something new every day. His energy, enthusiasm and most of all, his quick sense of humour were his trademarks. More than anything else he cherished a sense of the ridiculous, as many of his friends will attest.

He was an accomplished composer, pianist, arranger and conductor, a prize winning gardener and an excellent chef. He and Danae loved making pickles and chutneys and he loved painting watercolours at their vacation home at Cain Lake , WA . Cam loved all kinds of music from 20th Century classical to bawdy party songs. He compiled 2 books of recipes with the help of family and friends and aided in the completion of the ‘Dagg Families in Canada ’ website. He was also a director of the Oakdale Heritage Society in his community.

Some of his happiest times were at UBC with the Fijis (Phi Gamma Delta) where he led several winning song teams. He could be found at every fraternity party, playing songs at the piano, surrounded by the life long friends he made there.

The song team experience led to a career teaching Music, Musical Theatre, Drama and English in Burnaby and North Vancouver . Thanks to Cam hundreds of students got their first opportunity to be on stage. Many of his students are now comfortable in front of any audience - activist lawyers, singing bus drivers, countless theatre and film professionals have Cam to thank for their success. He was very proud of every one of his students.

Cam would like to thank Dr. Walter Rebeyka, MD. We are very lucky to be associated with such a fine man. The family would like to thank all the staff and volunteers of Crossroads Hospice for their wonderful kindness and care. In lieu of flowers donations can be made to Crossroads Hospice, 4th Floor, 101 Noon’s Creek Drive , Port Moody, B.C. V3H 5J1.

There will be a celebration of Cam’s life at 1:00 pm on Sunday January 10th, 2010 at Eagle Creek at Burnaby Mountain Golf Course, 7600 Halifax Street Burnaby B.C. www.eaglecreekbc.com
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

What a sad way to start a new year. Cam will certainly be missed here.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Penelope wishes to pass on his condolences. He liked cam and is deeply saddened by this news.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Oh no! I really don't know what to say, except that I am very saddened and I wish that I had taken the time to get to know Cam better.

R.I.P. Cam.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I resisted posting on the other Cam post as I didn't want to believe that he could be gone soon.

Campbell and I used to email each other quite regularly a few years ago. He grew up in Cape Breton and used to talk foundly of spending summers on Lake Ainslie. He was always fascinated with the area and I loved reading his emails about its history.

I will miss you greatly old friend.

Cha d’fhuaireadh facal Beurla mar sa Bhriathrachan Bheag, Campbell.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

The virtual universe allows a vast amount of options for people to act. Some, as we all know too well on this board, use it for fabrications, deceits and lies in falsely presenting themselves to the world. Others use the same tools to extend their ability to reach out and sincerely connect with many more people. Cam was such a person – he was always straightforward, unassuming and very candid about who and what he was and what he believed in, and at times gracefully and tactfully shared glimpses of his life with us. His absence from this board was evident and he will be missed, but he'll always be an organic ingredient of the fabric of this board's joint consciences.

Edited By Uri on 1262501752
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm trying to think of something to say but all I can think of is how quickly this happened.
"How's the despair?"
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

R.I.P. cam. We already miss you...

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1262485320

Return to “General Off-Topic”