College Football/Heisman - A race more exciting than the Oscars

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I think that Ndamukong Suh deserves the Heisman after the defensive pounding Nebraska put on Texas in the Big 12 championship, but I think they'll go with Mark Ingram. At least I'm hoping they go with Mark Ingram just because of the track record that Heisman winners have in bowl games this decade, and I desperately want Texas to win the National Championship. Since 2000, only two Heisman winners have gone on to win their bowl games: Carson Palmer in 2002 and Matt Leinart in 2004.

2008: Sam Bradford (Oklahoma Sooners) lost to the Florida Gators 14-24 (National Championship)
2007: Tim Tebow (Florida Gators) lost to the Michigan Wolverines 35-41 (BCS Bowl Game)
2006: Troy Smith (Ohio State Buckeyes) lost to the Florida Gators 14-41 (National Championship)
2005: Reggie Bush (USC Trojans) lost to the Texas Longhorns 38-41 (National Championship)
2003: Jason White (Oklahoma Sooners) lost to the LSU Tigers 14-21 (National Championship)
2001: Eric Crouch (Nebraska Cornhuskers) lost to the Miami Hurricanes 14-37 (National Championship)
2000: Chris Weinke (Florida State Seminoles) lost to the Oklahoma Sooners 2-13 (National Championship)

I'm not sure that I agree with you, dws, that Colt McCoy had a bad game against Nebraska (the ending was almost disastrous, but Texas somehow got the win). Ndamukong Suh is a monster defensive tackle, probably 2010's #1 draft pick, and he was giving Texas' offensive line fits all night. The fact that they couldn't guard McCoy was probably the main reason he got sacked 9 times. Even with Nebraska's defense being so strong, McCoy was still able to complete 20 of 34 passes for 184 yards and ran in the only touchdown scored by either team. And two of McCoy's INTs were not his fault. One was deflected high into the air and picked off and one was pulled out of the hands of one of Texas' receivers, which I thought should've been counted as a fumble because he had control of the ball before he was stripped. And another one of McCoy's INTs was caught out of bounds and shouldn't have have counted. However, he also nearly committed one of the biggest errors in the history of college football when, in the final play of the game, he threw the ball away with one second left on the clock. What was he thinking?!? (Cool note: the player who kicked the game winning field goal, Hunter Lawrence, graduated from the same high school that I did and is good friends with my best friend's younger brother, lol)

I think the votes will go this way...

1) Mark Ingram
2) Colt McCoy
3) Ndamukong Suh
4) Toby Gerhart
5) Tim Tebow

And if Ingram wins, Texas goes on to win the National Championship 18-14. :p

Taking it onto the National Championship game, I think that a lot of people are saying that it's a foregone conclusion that Alabama is going to win the National Championship just based off of this past weekend's outcomes. Yes, Alabama knocked off top-ranked Florida in a commanding fashion, and yes, Texas was nearly upset by #22 Nebraska, but they also forget that Alabama nearly lost twice this season to unranked opponents; first to Tennessee in the middle of the season, and then most notably to Auburn a couple of weeks ago, in which they had to block two field goals in order to get the win. Texas had a couple of close calls this season to Oklahoma and Texas A&M, but sometimes it's all about who's the best team on that day, and sometimes it's all about luck. This season, both teams had to have a little bit of luck to win close games, and that's why both teams are 13-0 playing in the National Championship game.

Also, I'd put Nebraska's defense up against anyone, any day. This season, they had 3 losses prior to the Big 12 Championship game, and 2 of them were by 3 points or less (one was by a single point). If Nebraska had an offense, they would probably have gone undefeated this season, Texas would've lost the Big 12, and Nebraska would be playing in the National Championship. But their offense is so feeble that Texas' defense could've left the field and they would still have had trouble getting into the Red Zone. All 12 of their points were scored from field goals, and one was a 52 yard attempt. To call it all over just because Texas had a miracle win against Nebraska is misinformed and, frankly, kind of insulting to Nebraska, who played a TERRIFIC game.

And Colt McCoy might be not only the best quarterback in the BCS right now, but has a strong case as being one of the best quarterbacks in NCAA history. He owns several NCAA records, including career wins by a starting quarterback (45-7), highest single season completion percentage (77.6%, last season), and highest career completion percentage (70.9% over 4 years). He's also the only college quarterback in history to win at least 10 games 4 years in a row! He also owns nearly every quarterback record at UT, including some that had been set by Vince Young. And 6 of his 7 career losses came during his freshman and sophomore seasons. If anyone is capable of having a Vince Young moment in the upcoming Championship game, it's Colt McCoy.

Edited By MovieWes on 1260403299
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The five finalists are Toby Gerhart, Mark Ingram, Colt McCoy, Ndomakung Suh, and Tim Tebow.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I misread a stat. And I knew better, because Matt Leinart just won a few years back.

Edited By dws1982 on 1260240892
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

dws1982 wrote:And no Pac-10 school (which Stanford is) has ever won a Heisman.
Hmmm...not sure what this means...
Terry Baker
Mike Garrett
Gary Beban
O.J.
Jim Plunkett actually from Stanford
Charles White
Marcus Allen
Carson Palmer
Matt Leinart
Reggie Bush

All would preced Gearhardt as winners from PAC 10 schools...maybe I misinterpreted but it seems you were missing these 10 winners
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Yes, more exciting than the Oscars is the wide-open race for the Heisman Trophy. I don't know if anyone else keeps with this, or with college football in general.

It started off looking like a race between the quarterbacks, as the first-ever season where two previous Heisman winners (Tim Tebow from Florida, Sam Bradford from Oklahoma) playing, and the first in over sixty years where the top three candidates from the previous year (Tebow, Bradford, and Colt McCoy from Texas) were all returning.

But Bradford left the season early due to injury, and has ultimately decided not to return next season, hoping to be drafted in the NFL instead. (Big mistake, I say.) Tebow had a good season but not as good as his previous two seasons. Plus in the SEC Championship Game Saturday, against Alabama, he was kept in check pretty clearly, and threw an interception at the last possible minute when Florida might have come back. He seems to be getting some flack for his tears after the game, but I don't have a problem with that, and I don't think it'll cost him any votes.

Colt McCoy had a very good season (not quite as good as last season, where he was runner-up for the Heisman), with some truly impressive games. But that last game, the Big 12 Championship on Saturday, was a disaster for McCoy. 8 sacks. 3 interceptions, one of which nearly cost his team the game. Texas won, but on a last-second field goal, and generally despite McCoy rather than because of him. I think that a lot of last-minute Heisman voters were probably persuaded to look another direction, possible at Nebraska tackle Ndomakung Suh, who dominated the Big 12 game. But when has a defensive tackle won a Heisman? Never, that's when. Only one primarily defensive player has ever won a Heisman. (Charles Woodson, 1997) Suh will probably be the number one NFL draft pick, but I'll be a little bit surprised if he even places on the Heisman ballot.

So, if it's not Quarterback year, it's probably a running back year, and there are three solid contenders: Mark Ingram from Alabama, Toby Gerhart from Stanford, and CJ Spiller from Clemson. Based solely on numbers, Gerhart looks like the best, followed by Ingram and Spiller in that order, but you have to base it also on the defenses that those yards were rushed on, and touchdowns scored on. What numbers would Ingram and Spiller have if they were in Gerhart's position at Stanford, and would would Gerhart have running for Alabama or Clemson?

The interesting thing is that none of these schools have ever won a Heisman. (Not even Alabama with our 12--possibly soon to be 13--National Championships.) And no Pac-10 school (which Stanford is) has ever won a Heisman.

If we consider long shots, keep an eye out for Quarterbacks Case Keenum (Houston) and Kellen Moore (Boise State).

The Heisman is considered the award for the best college football player, but it's more an award for the star player on one of the best teams. In that case, I say Ingram would be the one ot get it. But McCoy wouldn't be a surprise as a career tribute--he's had four solid seasons. Still, it's hard to imagine anyone who watched the game Saturday who hadn't yet voted would vote McCoy.

I think it's going to be a close vote, but on the Best Player/Best Team rule, I'm going to go with Ingram. Gerhart places second, McCoy places third. Tebow will get an invite to NY, and will be a close fourth, but I'd be completely stunned if he won.

Edited By dws1982 on 1260221613

Return to “General Off-Topic”