Happy birthday, Sabin and Zahveed!

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Happy major belated birthday to the both you..
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Sabin wrote:I didn't know there was a new Kenneth Anger short. I'm colleagues with Alicia Conway who just got her short film Rite into competition and the guys I'm here with are probably not terribly down for seeking out a Kenneth Anger short so I'm going to have to seek that one out for myself.
It's not playing the Frontier Shorts program (by far the sparsest-attended program I saw last year) with the Pat O'Neill and other films, so you might be able to trick them into seeing it. I guess the Anger is attached to a feature documentary on a guy who swims the world's rivers, called Big River Man.

Have a great festival! I regret not having dragged my ass to any Slamdance screenings the years I went.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

A double-birthday celebration...and Capricorns cusping on Aquarius...I wonder if that means anything...

It means I don't know how to handle my liquor. Holy shit...

I don't know. It's weird I've been told. There are no current buyers for Cold Souls which I don't understand. It could be fashioned into a very marketable trailer and with some minutes shorn a more successful product. I worked as a PA on the feature Were the World Mine which is just now being released and is apparently quite good (wouldn't know from the set) and I just saw the director's new film Peter and Vandy which is basically Before Sunrise/Sunset crossed with Eternal Sunshine in its mix-and-match non-linear chronology. As with Cold Souls, the vibe at Sundance is "Do something the same but different." Both movies are unchallenging works of interest but outwardly unamazing.

I didn't know there was a new Kenneth Anger short. I'm colleagues with Alicia Conway who just got her short film Rite into competition and the guys I'm here with are probably not terribly down for seeking out a Kenneth Anger short so I'm going to have to seek that one out for myself. The big buzz is around a film called Moon with Sam Rockwell that I'm getting an opportunity to see. I missed Black Dynamite, a blaxploitation feature. I'm going to see Mystery Team and hopefully some Slamdance features. Humpday just got picked up for a mild six figure-deal which is low. I would have thought that with a burgeoning threat of strike that people would pick up everything but I guess after Hamlet 2 failed to cross-over much in the same way Happy, Texas disappointed that buyers have more trepidation.

BTW: how the fuck am I infuriating?

Edited By Sabin on 1232480664
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Happy Birthday to my friend Josh, who for a decade has been one of the most refreshing, fun, provocative, wonderfully inquisitive, infuriating and genuinely smart (and also, admittedly, smart ass) posters here.

Happy Birthday to Zahveed, who's one of the bright new stars of the board, and who always evinces great intelligence, warmth and simple nice-ness.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Happy Birthday!
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Happy birthday to both of you!
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Happy birthday Zahveed and Sabin!

Are you at Sundance for the duration or just for a few days, Sabin? I hear it's not so crowded this year. Heard any buzz about the new Kenneth Anger short?
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Happy birthday!
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Happy Birthday!
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Many happy returns, both of you!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

21?! Good Lord...when I turned 21, my douchebag friends took so long to finish up playing video games that the bars closed. Lesson learned? Make new friends.

I'm at Sundance right now. I saw a movie called Cold Souls starring Paul Giamatti as himself/a miserable actor who finds a Charlie Kaufman-esque foundation that removes souls from the overly weighted. Thinking it will help his performance in Uncle Vanya, he does so but cannot act "soulless" as he would like. He then rents the soul of a Russian poet and is fantastic but life is too overwhelmingly emotional. Meanwhile, in the illegal Russian soul-mule traffic, a Russian soap opera actress wanting the soul of Al Pacino winds up with his soul. Giamatti must find the mule who is becoming overwhelmed by soul shards to get his soul back.

What I will say is by in large I love films like these, if not especially this. If I'm given some nominal insight into how to live my life through abstractly fantastical concept (unlike The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), I'm down. It feels like Charlie Kaufman directed by Wong Kar-wai and not for the best. In fact, it feels like every single Charlie Kaufman movie ever made. It's needlessly self-indulgent and LONG but enjoyable enough with a fairly strong screenplay. The fact that Paul Giamatti plays himself feels unnecessary. I like Cold Souls but it would not surprise me if what I saw was not the finished version.

Of interest.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Woohoo! 21!

Thanks for birthday wishes, guys. I appreciate it.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Happy Birthday!!!:D
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Happy birthday guys!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Happy birthday to both of you. What a great week to be celebrating. Enjoy it, guys.

Return to “General Off-Topic”