Since I am new here

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So, if the subtitles are grammatically inefficient, we can blame anonymous. ;)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I am a film music composer :)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I currently proof-read subtitles/close captions for DVD's. Mostly TV shows and old movies. I also worked a year as a writer in a TV network (I live in the Philippines) and I was also a freelance feature writer. I'm also currently working on two screenplays which I plan to make as indie features someday.

Edited By anonymous on 1222175362
MerryKarma
Graduate

Post by MerryKarma »

I am really enjoying hearing more about y'all. I think it is really neat that many of you are working or trying to work in the film industry. It seems to be a tough nut to crack, but I think there's plenty of room for new and innovative talent.

I would like to write a book someday, but it being made into a movie is not really part of the dream. I'll just live vicariously through y'all, if that's okay.

I can be a set medic or a costume designer, though. Those are skill sets I do have.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I am only in the entertainment industry by way of selling movies at a video store locally, although I was quite active in high school/college as a film critic for the school papers. Because of necessity, I am not exactly living my dream of being a paid writer or making a contribution to the film world. Not that I'm complaining really, but that's my reality. So I live a rather unglamorous life. There's nothing boring about being on this board, though. :)
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I'm trying to be an indie filmmaker, but I've mostly done a few PA jobs here and there. The last project I worked on in was Tree of Life for Terrence Malick, but it was in a pretty small capacity and wasn't very interesting, although I'm crossing my fingers that I'll receive credit. I've been told that PAs tend to be overlooked sometimes and go uncredited. Here's hoping. I think it might factor into the Oscars next year, so it would be sweet for my name to be in the credits of an Oscar-nominated film (especially since I turned down work on No Country for Old Men for the really stupid reason that it was being filmed out in the middle of nowhere in West Texas, a decision I've regretted for some time now, and probably always will).

But alas, right now I'm doing absolutely nothing in film. I'm trying to pay for my last 15 hours of college, so I made the decision to get a steady job until graduation and then pursue film. So right now, I'm working at a car dealership. Pretty boring, but it's work, so I can't complain.

Edited By MovieWes on 1222138778
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

I work in the film industry for a trailer house, while writing and working towards the next film to direct at every free moment.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I consider myself somewhat of an indie filmmaker, though the more appropriate term is probably "amateur" since my product thus far is few and low in quality. Otherwise I'm just a normal 20 year-old that's learning more about the art of film. I'll begin studying next Spring to become a drama teacher.

Welcome. :D
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
MerryKarma
Graduate

Post by MerryKarma »

Well, I am probably the only middle-aged, working mother who likes to watch movies and tell her friends about them...and who has to see the movies nominated for the big Oscar categories...and...and...
:)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

We have a couple of people partially a part of the entertainment industry and we have co-author of Inside Oscar, plus a few film critics.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

No, actually, very few are in the entertainment business.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
MerryKarma
Graduate

Post by MerryKarma »

There are many peoples and I don't know what everyone does.

Is everyone but me in the film industry in some capacity? I am a physician assistant. My existence is pretty mundane, but I am a generally happy creature. Let me watch movies and cook and knit and spend time with people that I love, and I am good to go.

What about you?

Return to “General Off-Topic”