Best Christian Films

Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

I'm gonna vote for Bad Santa.

Now THERE'S a Christian film. I dunno, something about Lauren Graham in a hot Santa outfit. Made me say "Jesus", that's for sure!
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Doesn't the lovely Yearling film come across as morally enriching?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:Is it more Christian to watch "The Yearling" than "Passion of the Christ"?
How did The Yearling get into this?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If anyone is looking for a good Christian film. i.e. one that is both about Christians and Christian values, look no further than End of the Spear, which has just been released on DVD. Told from the perspective of the Ecuadorian rain forest tribesmen who speared five missionaries to death in 1956, it's a powerful film of faith, hope, charity and redemption. The closing credits featuring footage of the real life tribesman who killed his father and the now grown son touring the U.S. is a special treat.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

As I said, I totally get what you are saying, but I wouldn't be throwing around titles like "Birth of a Nation" and "Basic Instinct" in that context. My point was that, while films like "Dead Man Walking" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" display moral values that Christians readily respond to, some people might not say the same thing about some of the other titles. Is it more Christian to watch "The Yearling" than "Passion of the Christ"?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:Actually, I hadn't heard this debate yet. Still, it does seem hypocritical to make the blanket statement you made earlier about Christians when you are trying to make a point about racism and closed-mindedness.
I guess you are too dense to realize I was making a distinction between true Christians (which I consider myself to be) who follow Jesus's teachings and the faux, so-called "Christians" who distort everything for which Jesus stood and yet shamelessly invoke His name.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Actually, I hadn't heard this debate yet. Still, it does seem hypocritical to make the blanket statement you made earlier about Christians when you are trying to make a point about racism and closed-mindedness.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:Does Damien truly believe that Christians are, by nature, racist? Or is he basing his opinion on the fact that some right-wing hard-liners are opposed to gay rights and live in a time-warp? If that's the case, than he is substituting those views for the general Christian population, which is itself discriminatory.
Aww toeing the new Company Line, I see, criddic, which came to the forefront in the debate over the Hate Amendment last week, and as set forth by the likes of Sam Brownback and Santorum: To be against bigots makes you a bigot. Positively Orwellian.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Re-read the second paragraph. While I understand what Damien is saying, I don't think that films with some moral values displayed is the same thing as a "Christian" film.

My point was that I don't think that Christian films are necessarily "filled with hate and intolerence," but this is largely based on the list that Damien presents as proof of his statement. "Birth of a Nation" and "Triumph of the Will." "Basic Instinct"? All have their merits and a place in cinema history, but mostly for being controversial and, to varying degrees, quite racist.

Does Damien truly believe that Christians are, by nature, racist? Or is he basing his opinion on the fact that some right-wing hard-liners are opposed to gay rights and live in a time-warp? If that's the case, than he is substituting those views for the general Christian population, which is itself discriminatory.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Perhaps no one said anything about because they took it in context by reading the second paragraph.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I must have missed this thread when it first appeared. In any case, given how full of hate and intolerance so-called "Christians" are, I'd say that some of the movies which are most "Christian" include Birth Of A Nation, Triumph Of The Will, Braveheart, Cruising, Jud Suess and Basic Instinct.

I'm surprised no one said anything about this statement, Damien. It is "full of hate" and is utterly untrue. At least the Christians that I know are not like you describe them here.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

My updated list:

01. The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer)
02. The Diary of a Country Priest (Bresson)
03. The Son (Le Fils) (Dardenne/Dardenne)
04. The Last Temptation of Christ (Scorsese)
05. The Night of the Hunter (Laughton)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:I'd like to ask the board what they think are the best Christian or Christian-themed films in cinema (not necessarily movies dealing directly with Christianity or with Jesus Christ but also movies that touched upon Christian themes or characters)?

I must have missed this thread when it first appeared. In any case, given how full of hate and intolerance so-called "Christians" are, I'd say that some of the movies which are most "Christian" include Birth Of A Nation, Triumph Of The Will, Braveheart, Cruising, Jud Suess and Basic Instinct.

For me. the most truly Christian picture in the sense that it reflects Jesus's teachings of love, forgiveness and compassion is Dead Man Walking. End Of The Affair, Grand Illusion, Kinsey, Talk To Her, Lilya 4-Ever, It's A Wonderful Life, To Kill A Mockingbird and Voyage To Italy are other great films that possess genuine Christian values, even though assholes like Pat Robertson, Billy Graham, Bush, Popes Benedict and John Paul 2, Rick Santorum. John Ashcroft, Allen Keyes, Jerry Falwell and Randall Terry would never get it.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Mann wrote:
anonymous wrote:I happen to consider Schindler's List as much a Christian film as it is a Jewish film. After all, the title character was a Christian and he did what every Christian SHOULD be doing.

And the people massacreing the Jews...are Christian.
How come it's acceptable for people to make jibes like this towards Christians?

But everyone gets their panties in a tizzy if someone says Muslims are terrorists and Jews are Christ-killers.

And frankly, it's getting tiring.
Mann
Graduate

Post by Mann »

anonymous wrote:I happen to consider Schindler's List as much a Christian film as it is a Jewish film. After all, the title character was a Christian and he did what every Christian SHOULD be doing.
And the people massacreing the Jews...are Christian.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”