Trip to Hong Kong

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous wrote:
Reza wrote:
anonymous wrote:Hong Kong is an awesome city, Reza. I've been there several times. It's a great adventure every time.

Please provide a quick ''to do'' in Hong Kong. What to see etc? I'm not even sure how much time the bank will allow us to do things on our own. Are there any good bookshops you could recommend? And I would like to visit Macau. Is a separate visa required for this trip?

I'm not sure about the bank question. But here are a few helpful tips:

01. Watch where you eat. I know you would love to try the local Chinese eateries but we did that once and found out that the chef cooks shirtless and sticks his finger into people's drinks. The food wasn't bad but the cleanliness of it is suspect.

02. If you want to shop, don't buy the item at once. Make sure you know it's the cheapest you can get it. So I suggest you look around first. At the Night Market in a place called Mong Kok, you can even haggle and bargain.

03. I don't know any good bookshops that offer a wide selections and cheaper prices apart from the one in the airport but when it comes to DVD's, HMV Hong Kong has a lot of titles to offer (but they're not cheap). Although, you can find a few of the titles cheaper in smaller shops.

04. If you like amusement parks, Ocean Park and Disneyland Hong Kong are must-visits.

05. If you want a more educational trip, there's a Hong Kong Museum which pretty much details the culture and history of Hong Kong from beginning to end which I found utterly fascinating. It's a great museum.

06. If you get a package tour, you're probably going to visit the Hong Kong equivalent of the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It features handprints and star markers of such Hong Kong cinematic greats like Jackie Chan, Wong-Kar Wai, Tsui Hark, Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung, Sammo Hung, etc.

07. I don't know much about Macau. I'm not sure if you need a seperate visa for it. You do need a visa to take the Windows of the World China tour. I didn't go but my parents did and they said that it's totally not worth the trouble. Unless you've seen and absolutely loved the Chinese film The World which was shot at the Windows of the World, I suggest you pass.

I'll post more once I think of more.
Well I'm back and I had a great time in Hong Kong! It was exciting but also sad. Exciting because it reminded me of my favorite city - New York (there was even a Times Square). And sad because the city lacked it's own individuality.

1. The food was atrocious. And not because of any cleanliness factor. Cantonese food had a smell to it and it was so bland. Pathetic as it may sound good ole McDonald's came to the rescue every time.

2. Yes managed to find great bargains. Visited Mong Kok and picked up a number of fake bags for my wife - exact rip-offs of Louis Vitton, Chloe and Prada. Many other great shopping areas - the outskirt town of Stanley being just one. I did pick up two pairs of original eye shades at good prices - Versace and Ferragamo. And I-Pods for my kids. A lot of clothes.

3. Picked up a number of books and a couple of dvds. Am kicking myself for not picking up 10 Japanese editions of Ozu's films. Did get two films of Nagisa Oshima.

4. Skipped Ocean Park and Disneyland. Not my cup of tea now. Been there done that in America. Instead enjoyed a trip to see the world's largest Buddah on top of a mountain. This was a new attraction which recently opened. A frightening cable car ride over the sea and through deep valleys to the top of a mountain. Followed by a trek up 350 steps to get to the huge statue. Also a facinating visit to an authentic buddhist monastery.

5. Skipped the museums. Instead went up to Victoria Peak via the old tram. What a fabulous view of the city from up there. Took a ride on the ferry from Kowloon to HK island a number of times.

6. Can you believe I actually did not see the Walk of fame. I planned to go daily but ended up elsewhere instead. I did watch two films on the big screen. The Departed and a Bollywood flick called Don! Dissapointed with Scorcese's film but enjoyed the Bollywood flick. I need to now see Internal Affairs to compare the two.

7. Sadly could not make it to Macau as I had a single entry visa to HK. I would have needed a separate visa for Macau but wouldn't have been able to come back into HK to catch my flight out.

I'm glad for this visit but it's not a place I'd like to go to again. I'd rather go to the ''original'' - New York instead anytime!
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

In Die another Day, Bond after escaping, emerges from the waters of Victoria Harbour, which is located between the Kowloon peninsula and the Hong Kong Island.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hustler wrote:Die another day
Are you sure? Maybe it was Tomorrow Never Dies?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Big Magilla wrote:
Damien wrote:
Reza wrote:Was wondering which Hollywood films have portrayed Hong Kong. I can think of only three - Macau, Love is a Many Splendored Thing and The World of Suzie Wong.

Enter The Dragon, The Road To Hong Kong, Chinese Box, Hong Kong Confidential

Some others would include In the Mood for Love; Infernal Affairs; Eros; To Live and Die in Hong Kong; Romeo Must Die; Rush Hour; Chungking Express; Fallen Angels, Once a Thief; That Man Bolt and Tai Pan.
I woluld add The Hitchikker´s guide to the Galaxy, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: the Craddle of Life, Die another day, Spy Game, The Pillow book, Shanghai Surprise, Oliver´s story, Year of the Dragon, 2046,
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
Reza wrote:Was wondering which Hollywood films have portrayed Hong Kong. I can think of only three - Macau, Love is a Many Splendored Thing and The World of Suzie Wong.

Some others would include In the Mood for Love; Infernal Affairs; Eros; To Live and Die in Hong Kong; Romeo Must Die; Rush Hour; Chungking Express; Fallen Angels, Once a Thief; That Man Bolt and Tai Pan.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Reza wrote:
anonymous wrote:Hong Kong is an awesome city, Reza. I've been there several times. It's a great adventure every time.

Please provide a quick ''to do'' in Hong Kong. What to see etc? I'm not even sure how much time the bank will allow us to do things on our own. Are there any good bookshops you could recommend? And I would like to visit Macau. Is a separate visa required for this trip?
I'm not sure about the bank question. But here are a few helpful tips:

01. Watch where you eat. I know you would love to try the local Chinese eateries but we did that once and found out that the chef cooks shirtless and sticks his finger into people's drinks. The food wasn't bad but the cleanliness of it is suspect.

02. If you want to shop, don't buy the item at once. Make sure you know it's the cheapest you can get it. So I suggest you look around first. At the Night Market in a place called Mong Kok, you can even haggle and bargain.

03. I don't know any good bookshops that offer a wide selections and cheaper prices apart from the one in the airport but when it comes to DVD's, HMV Hong Kong has a lot of titles to offer (but they're not cheap). Although, you can find a few of the titles cheaper in smaller shops.

04. If you like amusement parks, Ocean Park and Disneyland Hong Kong are must-visits.

05. If you want a more educational trip, there's a Hong Kong Museum which pretty much details the culture and history of Hong Kong from beginning to end which I found utterly fascinating. It's a great museum.

06. If you get a package tour, you're probably going to visit the Hong Kong equivalent of the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It features handprints and star markers of such Hong Kong cinematic greats like Jackie Chan, Wong-Kar Wai, Tsui Hark, Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung, Sammo Hung, etc.

07. I don't know much about Macau. I'm not sure if you need a seperate visa for it. You do need a visa to take the Windows of the World China tour. I didn't go but my parents did and they said that it's totally not worth the trouble. Unless you've seen and absolutely loved the Chinese film The World which was shot at the Windows of the World, I suggest you pass.

I'll post more once I think of more.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Yes, Scaramanga's beach house is located near Phuket, Thailand, but much of the rest of the film is set in Hong Kong and Macau.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Penelope wrote:The James Bond flick The Man With the Golden Gun is set in Hong Kong.
Surely the scenes with Scaramanga were set in Thailand not Hong Kong?

Wasn't In the Mood for Love set in Hong Kong?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The James Bond flick The Man With the Golden Gun is set in Hong Kong.

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Hong Kong is an awesome city, Reza. I've been there several times. It's a great adventure every time.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The local Pakistani bank I work for has been bought by the British bank Standard Chartered. A number of us branch managers are being sent for a week to different countries to get to know the culture of this bank. The countries chosen are Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong. I am in a group of 14 going to Hong Kong on October 16. Am excited as I've never been to the Far East. The city appears (at least in movies) as a far more crowded version of Manhattan.

Was wondering which Hollywood films have portrayed Hong Kong. I can think of only three - Macau, Love is a Many Splendored Thing and The World of Suzie Wong.

Return to “General Off-Topic”