Post by Big Magilla »

Quite an experience.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I tried it and it worked. Hmmm.

Here's what I wrote:

What a day yesterday!

I found out when I got up in the morning that there's a typhoon coming. It didn't look that bad so I went to work as usual. The day started out normally. Then the winds and the rains became stronger and the power was cut by 10:30 am. Our job requires computers. Since there was no electricity, no computers. So, we had no choice but to call it a day by 11:30 am. The streets were flooded and commuting is still a no-no since we know it's going to get worse. So I and five other of my co-workers rushed to the nearest mall not surrounded by floodwaters. It was quite a trek, my umbrella upturned quite a few times.

The mall was still partially open. A few shops were closed due to the typhoon. We went to the food court to grab some lunch and to wait out the worst part of the storm. The food court had a large panoramic glass window which you can see the outside. Trees where flattened, garbage cans were flying. It was pandemonium. Then it was announced that the mall will be closing in a half an hour but we would still be allowed to hang in the corridors for safety. After eating and waiting out the worst, we stepped out of the food court to an almost empty mall, trying to find the nearest, safe exit. I felt like I was in a disaster movie. I called my mom who was on her way to pick me up but she was stuck in floodwaters and could not take the risk of going any further. So our company dispersed, me and a co-worker who also lived near my area, went to try to get a cab. We did but he couldn't take us all the way. He dropped off my co-worker first, then dropped me off in the corner of my street. No way I could walk the rest of the way due to the flood. So I waited for a tricycle to take me all the way to front gate of the house.

I dried myself, opened the windows and took a nap.

It was dark when I woke up. The storm has passed but the power was still out. My mom had a friend who is an American expat and he owns a condominium. The condo is pretty good and has a generator. We packed our overnight bags and tried our luck to go to the condo (which is in the other side of town so we had to try to find a non-flooded way to go). We got there and there was power but only lights and the TV are functioning. No airconditioning. Then we saw that rainwater somehow seeped into the room. The American is gonna be here in the weekend so my mom called maintenance to clean up the place ASAP. Since there was no airconditioning, we were going to leave after the maintenance guys finish but shortly afterwards, regular power was restored in the building (no power at home yet) so we turned on the airconditioning and stayed. Unfortunately, the cable TV was out. Luckily, I brought the Sunday in the Park with George DVD and that entertained me throughout the rest of the evening until I finally gone to bed.

I woke up the next morning. Lo and behold, the sky was blue and the sun was shining. It's hard to believe that there was a huge typhoon that blasted in the place less than 24 hours ago. But as we drove our way home, there were a lot of uprooted trees, broken glass, collapsed billboards, etc. It was a real disaster zone. Power was back on in our house, thank God. (The last time this happened, it took around three ####ing days for regular power to be restored).

I dressed and came to work which is where I am now.

As of this writing, the cable is still out.

And yes, until now, the cable is still out.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

your link can´t be open due to technical errors.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Oops.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Details in my blog.

Return to “General Off-Topic”