Oprah to receive Kennedy Center Honor

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
dbensics
Graduate

Post by dbensics »

Let's not forget Jane Wyman, who never stood a chance of receiving a Kennedy Center Honor during her 1980s renaissance due to political circumstances.

Though I do remember reading somewhere that Ronald Reagan did enjoy watching Falcon Crest.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Supposedly politics have nothing to do with the selections, but I couldn't help but think of how Oprah helped Obama with his campaign. I also remember that Irene Dunne was honored while Ronald Reagan was in the White House. Although she was a richly deserving winner due to her many great screen performances, she was a staunch Republican who raised money for Reagan for both his Gubernatorial and Presidential races.

And let's not overlook the influence of the Kennedy Center's George Stevens, Jr., whose primary goal in life has always been to venerate his late father. I found it quite amusing that The Kennedy Center blurb on Dunne says that his father's I Remember Mama was her favorite film, when every other source indicates her favorite film was Leo McCarey's Love Affair.

Of course it works in reverse as well. Loyal Democrat Myrna Loy was honored under Reagan and Democatic fundraiser Barbra Streisand was honored under George W. Bush.

Tom Hanks at 46 was absurd.
dbensics
Graduate

Post by dbensics »

The connection to the Obamas does make one wonder.

Also, it is probably true that the Kennedy Center receives a fee from CBS for televising the event in late December - a fee that undoubtedly slides up or down based on ratings for the show.

Therefore, the Center has a vested interest in selecting honorees that have maximum audience appeal.

Who better than Oprah !

This kind of financial math has infested the American Film Institute selection process, also.

Once, a major primetime network show, the AFI Salute has been demoted to cable.

The film stars that the AFI chooses to honor now are more than likely to be in mid-career so as to appeal to current fans.

Tom Hanks was honored at age 46.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dbensics wrote:I've always enjoyed the annual Kennedy Center Honors gala on television.

I just noticed that Oprah Winfrey will be one of this year's honorees.

Now, Oprah is a daytime talk-show host, but does that make her a performing artist?

Johnny Carson received the honor in 1993. No doubt, he fit the description.

I like Oprah, but am somewhat puzzled as to why she deserves this kind of award.
It was ridiculous when Johnny Carson received this award and it's even more absurd with Winfrey. Carson was at least a comedian of sorts. But I guess it helps to have friends in high places, especially when you help such a friend get elected president.

A friend posted this list of names on Facebook of people who are infinitely more deserving of recognition than Winfrey and, lo and behold, they are actually Performing Artists:

Carol Channing, Barbara Cook, Sid Caesar, Regina Resnik, Martina Arroyo, Samuel Ramey, Andre Watts, Gene Hackman, Jane Fonda, Meryl Streep, Al Pacino, Garrison Keilor, Bill T. Jones. Question: Many foreign-born artists have been given this honor, but only some of them (Angela Lansbury, Julie Andrews, George Balanchine) have become American citizens or residents. Artists I adore (such as Joan Sutherland, Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey) received the honor but never became American citizens or residents. What should the rule be on this? If it can go to citizens of any nation, then Sophia Loren, Liv Ullman, Claudio Abbado, Carla Fracci, Mirella Freni, Maggie Smith, Vanessa Redgrave, Kiri Te Kanawa, Jose Carreras, and many more should be considered.

I would also add any number of jazz greats, starting with Sonny Rollins and Geoge Shearing.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Oprah also happens to be an Oscar-nominated and Golden Globe-nominated actress.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

My guess is Oprah will be recognized primarily as a producer. I believe the Kennedy Center Honors have recognized producer/director/etc. individuals in the past, such as Steven Spielberg.

Edited By Greg on 1285083257
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

At present, she doesn't.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dbensics
Graduate

Post by dbensics »

I've always enjoyed the annual Kennedy Center Honors gala on television.

I just noticed that Oprah Winfrey will be one of this year's honorees.

Now, Oprah is a daytime talk-show host, but does that make her a performing artist?

Johnny Carson received the honor in 1993. No doubt, he fit the description.

I like Oprah, but am somewhat puzzled as to why she deserves this kind of award.

Edited By dbensics on 1285028186

Return to “The People”