Cannes 2024

dws1982
Emeritus

Re: Cannes 2024

Post by dws1982 »

The Camera d'or went to Ingmar Bergman's and Liv Ullmann's grandson, Halfdan Ullmann Tøndel.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Reza wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:53 pm They don't provide the names of the actresses who won in the lead category. Did all three win....or were there any more from the supporting cast too?
Karla Sofía Gascón, Selena Gomez, Adriana Paz, and Zoe Saldaña.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

anonymous1980 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:34 pm Cannes predictions:

Palme d'Or: Anora, Sean Baker
Grand Prix: The Seed of the Sacred Fig, Mohammad Rasoulof
Jury Prize: All We Imagine as Light, Payal Kapadia
Best Director: Francis Ford Coppola, Megalopolis
Best Actor: Sebastian Stan, The Apprentice
Best Actress: Karla Sofía Gascón, Emilia Perez
Best Screenplay: Coralie Fargeat, The Substance
Just noticed, this was staggeringly close to what actually came about. Kudos.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Mister Tee wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:22 pm Love for Emilia Perez, however, was undeniable. When was the last time anything won more than a single award? I knew such a thing was still technically allowed, but it seemed so frowned upon I never expected to see it again
You Were Never Really Here won for screenplay and actor in 2017; The Salesman also did that double in 2016
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

They don't provide the names of the actresses who won in the lead category. Did all three win....or were there any more from the supporting cast too?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I watched the presentations on YouTube, though in French, so I had to wait for the chiron to tell me who each winner was. And, even when someone accepted in English, the commentator spoke over them, translating. So all I can comment on are the choices.

As Sabin noted the other day, the latter half of the festival atypically redeemed the disappointment of the first few days. And the jury seems to have made reasonable/unshocking choices from (mostly) that latter group.

Once The Seed of the Sacred Fig was pensioned off with the "special" prize to Rasoulof, it was chiefly a matter of whether Anora or All We Imagine As Light would end up on top -- an American indie hero, or female director; Gerwig's ethos triumphs either way. (I say that mostly facetiously; the folks at Awards Watch were ready to blame/trash her for either choice.)

So, NEON came in with two tickets, and, though missing on one that seemed favored, recovered with the second. There seems wide expectation Anora will be a big commercial/industry prize breakthrough for Baker -- and many reviews do seem to indicate more crowd-pleasing elements -- but, having been told much the same about Red Rocket and The Florida Project, I'll wait to be convinced on that.

Jesse Plemons was the big surprise, as his film wasn't listed among those invited back today. Best actor felt like a thinner field than usual -- certainly compared to best actress.

I have a vague feeling the ensemble aspect of the best actress choice might have been to ward off ugly attacks had they only honored the trans woman. But maybe they really just genuinely wanted to spread the wealth.

Love for Emilia Perez, however, was undeniable. When was the last time anything won more than a single award? I knew such a thing was still technically allowed, but it seemed so frowned upon I never expected to see it again.

Sight unseen of course, but screenplay seemed a rather odd place to award The Substance.

So, Coppola's place on this list was, as dws notes, related to his presenting Lucas with the special award. Not being any particular fan of even the first Star Wars -- let alone the numbing set of sequels/prequels -- I mostly sat through the presentation stupefied, that such a dreary set of credits was getting him lauded at a festival otherwise aspiring to high art. For a while, it looked as though the clip-reel was going to ignore American Graffiti -- his only legit great credit, by me. It finally appeared, but got much less attention than endless shots of guys with laser guns.

In the end, a way better Cannes than it appeared a week ago.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sabin wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:05 pm So why did Coppola hang around?
George Lucas' honorary Palme.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

So why did Coppola hang around?
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

(So, Anora must win the Palme?)Answer: Yes
Grand Prix to All We Imagine As Light.
Jury prize to Emilia Perez.
Best director is Gomes for Grand Tour.
"Special award" to The Seed of the Sacred Fig.
Best actress goes to the ensemble of actresses in Emilia Perez.
Best actor Jesse Plemons in Kinds of Kindness.
The Substance wins screenplay.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

By reports of who's been asked back, this ought to be the list of films contending for prizes:

Emilia Perez (Audiard)
Anora (Baker)
Megalopolis (Coppola)
The Substance (Fargeat)
Grand Tour (Gomes)
All We Imagine As Light (Kapadia)
The Seed of the Sacred Fig (Rasoulof)

Jia Zhangke posted (briefly; subsequently deleted) that CAUGHT BY THE TIDES won’t win any award.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Sabin wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:24 pm And now The Seed of the Sacred Fig sounds like a Palme winner.

This fest really turned itself around.
If it wins, it will be Neon's 5th in a row (Parasite, Titane, Triangle of Sadness, Anatomy of a Fall being the other four)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

And now The Seed of the Sacred Fig sounds like a Palme winner.

This fest really turned itself around.

(NOTE: but it sounds like the magical realism of As We Imagine Light would also be very much up Gerwig’s alley)
Last edited by Sabin on Sat May 25, 2024 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Good predictions although I think Grand Tour and Caught by the Tides will get something.

I’m half wondering if they create a special prize for Megalopolis.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Cannes predictions:

Palme d'Or: Anora, Sean Baker
Grand Prix: The Seed of the Sacred Fig, Mohammad Rasoulof
Jury Prize: All We Imagine as Light, Payal Kapadia
Best Director: Francis Ford Coppola, Megalopolis
Best Actor: Sebastian Stan, The Apprentice
Best Actress: Karla Sofía Gascón, Emilia Perez
Best Screenplay: Coralie Fargeat, The Substance
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think Toni Erdmann had the highest rating in a decade and it won nothing.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “2024”