Categories One-by-One: Live-Action Short Film

For the films of 2023
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Categories One-by-One: Live-Action Short Film

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
I'm even ambivalent on whether I WANT him to win for this -- I feel like, should Anderson finally win an Oscar, it ought to be for, at very least, screenplay; not something so minor-league as this.
I'm ambivalent, leaning no. I don't want this category to become some sort of off-ramp also-rans to become ringers. This category has a very clear purpose... for people you've never heard of to get one moment in the sun and never heard from again, with the exception of one or two people a decade at most. And look, we can snark all we want about that but it matters to them, especially considering that the efforts for filmmakers who still do shorts are monumental (often times while juggling a day job) in contrast to Wes Anderson getting bankrolled by Netflix.

On the other hand, were Wes Anderson to win his one Oscar for The Wonderful Life of Henry Sugar, it wouldn't really feel out of place in his adventurous career. He's managed to convey his style across so many styles of storytelling: commercials, animation... why not short films?

I like the short fine (haven't seen the others so I can't give a best in competition judgement) but I'm inclined to say I'd rather see him win an Lifetime Achievement like Stanley Donen and get his moment in the sun for a body of work rather than the tiniest of asterisks. That said, it's not like they give out that award in the show anymore anyway! I think I'd prefer him to win some award for screenplay award when the competition is mild or just go on being an under-appreciated surprisingly productive purveyor of eccentric American comedies. I think anyone who gets into the career of being in the eccentric American comedy business shouldn't get used to the idea of winning Academy Awards.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I belatedly realize that I never came back to comment, after seeing Invincible.

It turned out, that was my least-favorite of the bunch, simply because it felt like the thinnest storyline. As Magilla says, we know what happened from the get-go, and what follows doesn't particularly illuminate it. There's nothing wrong with it -- the whole roster here is solid enough -- but it wouldn't get my vote.

I feel close to equally unimpressed by The After. The shocking opening is pretty much what there is to the film; the rest feels like just playing out the string.

Knight of Fortune stands in contrast: I never had any idea where it was going. I appreciated the droll deadpan quality of it, embodied by its lead actor. I'd have no problem with a win here.

Red White and Blue's shocking moment arrives late, and, I have to say, I totally didn't see it coming (though, looking back, I feel I should have). It's a blisteringly hot topic of the moment, and I can see voters going for it to make a statement.

The real question is, has the opening of the shorts categories to general membership voting given the highest-profile candidates an insuperable advantage...and is Wes Anderson, of all people, poised to take advantage of that? Certainly, by virtue of its Netflix position, the film will be the most widely-seen of the nominees...but will that be enough? Recent better-seen winners have been more down-the-middle choices. Does Anderson fit that bill, or will he always be, for some, just too quirky to embrace, even for a minor prize like this? This film, like all his work, takes place in that imaginary, dry-ice zone. Will that be what voters want, with such serious drama as Red White and Blue there for the asking?

I'm even ambivalent on whether I WANT him to win for this -- I feel like, should Anderson finally win an Oscar, it ought to be for, at very least, screenplay; not something so minor-league as this. (I felt much the same about PTA when Licorice Pizza was in contention for original screenplay. A major filmmaker like he should win the whole works -- film and director, at least; not be pensioned off with a secondary prize, like Neil Jordan or Sofia Coppola were.)

I think it could go either way, with maybe Knight of Fortune as a wild-card.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

On reflection, I think Red, White and Blue is the one to beat. It's topical, extraordinarily well acted by Brittany Snow and the two most adorable kids they could possibly find to play her children, with a twist guaranteed to melt the coldest heart.

Wes Anderson may well have to wait a little longer for his Oscar.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The order in which I liked them:

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar - quite possibly Wes Anderson's best work, lean and to the point. I thought it was hilarious. Great ensemble acting by Ralph Fiennes (as Roald Dahl), Benedict Cumberbatch (as Henry Sugar), Dev Patel, and Ben Kinsley.

Red, White and Blue - wonderfully evocative depiction of a single mother and her two children. That third act twist is a shocker, but it leads to a nicely done ending. If anything can beat Wes Anderson this year, this would be the one to do it.

Knight of Fortune - very droll Swedish comedy complements the very sad story of a man saying goodbye to his wife in a morgue who meets another man who asks him to help him say goodbye to another man's wife.

The After - I watched this after watching several episodes of NCIS, Season 10 in which several characters grieve in ways similar to David Oyelowo after experiencing similar horrific acts that befall Oyelowo's family which is probably I why I found it good but not exceptional.

Invincible - it's well acted, but you know from the opening that it's about the suicide of a 14-year-old boy with the rest of it documenting his last two days. Very sad, and not in a good way.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

If one of you would tell me how you watched Invincible, I could chime in here, as I've seen all the others, but can't locate Invincible.

And this is the easiest shorts category to complete. I'm only 3-for-5 in doc short (missing ABCs and Nai Nai), and John & Yoko was the only animated I could track down.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

The After and Red, White and Blue were the standouts for me. I thought The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar was good, but I wasn't an enamored with it as you were.

My preferences:

1) Red, White and Blue
2) The After
3) Invincible
4) The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
5) Knight of Fortune
anonymous1980
Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Live-Action Short Film

Post by anonymous1980 »

Here's my assessment of the live-action shorts:

The After - David Oyelowo plays a man who becomes an Uber driver after an unspeakable tragedy happens to him. The main thing this film has it going for it is David Oyelowo's truly great performance. I don't know if this one works as a short, it feels like this could have been a feature since it simply just ends. But Oyelowo sells it enough for it to have a shot. (B)

Invincible - Based on a true story, this is about a troubled teenage boy who's determined to never come back to the juvenile detention center. This is another sad one anchored by a great central performance but this time, I think it works as a short. This could surprise. (B+)

Knight of Fortune - A man grieving the loss of his wife meets and befriends another man in the morgue. Yes, another sad one but this time it's got a bit of a deadpan, dark sense of humor. But I don't think it has a chance. (B-)

Red, White and Blue - A single mother of two working as a waitress goes on a road trip to procure an abortion. This film brings to mind the recent abolishment of Roe V. Wade so voters who have that on their heads will vote for this especially because there's a third act twist that really hammers home the importance of abortion rights. (B+)

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar - I already reviewed this so you can read that. I will say that after going through really sad and heavy shorts, this is a breath of fresh air. It's funny and it's happy. Plus this is an opportunity to give Wes Anderson an Oscar. (A-)

Prediction: The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar. Though I think any one of them except maybe Knight of Fortune has a shot at upsetting but the short is such a standout, it's hard to argue against it.

Return to “96th Academy Awards”