"Frauds" and "Snubs"

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: "Frauds" and "Snubs"

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
That was a terrific "what if" series, Sabin. I hope you will pick it up again.
Thank you. I just did.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

That was a terrific "what if" series, Sabin. I hope you will pick it up again.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just apropos of the title of this thread (which tbh, I was looking forward to), about a year and some change ago, I started a series of threads on this board poorly titled "Corrected Oscar [Year]." In hindsight, it really should've been called "Fraud Alert." But anyway, the goal of it was to go backwards in history to discuss instances of (sorry, Magilla) category fraud as a way of revisiting Oscar races past, imagining how they might have gone differently had instances of category fraud not been in effect, as well as discussing the role that different characters had in their films. It didn't really inspire the kind of conversation I was hoping but those kinds of things are what has kept me coming to this corner of the internet.

I want to discuss things like snubs and category fraud. I'm not terribly concerned about the effect that these words have on our society. I want to talk about the nuances behind them. I am more persuaded that Robbie was snubbed than Gerwig, but it depends on what one's definition of "snub" means. The reason I keep coming to this board is it's the best place out there to have these kinds of conversations and historicize them.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm getting too old for this.

I don't mind being the sole moderator. I am for my community website, which also takes up a good deal of my time, and for which I receive the same amount of pay - none, albeit with a lot less aggravation. As moderator, however, there is only so much I can do. I can't bring the site back up if it goes down.

To clarify one issue, this site may have had a significant drop in commentary over the years, but it has not suffered a loss in readership. At any given moment, there are 10-15 people viewing the site. Many of them are either non-members or members who have not signed on. Maybe if some of us would be a bit kinder in our responses to one another, more people would participate. No one likes having their head bitten off, metaphorically speaking, or otherwise.

I know that we do not have any racists, homophobes, or misogynists amongst our ever-shrinking group of posters, but I can understand that someone might be irked at some of the comments and read things into them that aren't there if they have had to deal with people in their lives who really are racist, homophobic, or misogynistic, especially if they're having a hard day.

The number one reason, though, that people stop posting here is that they don't get a response to something that they have taken the time to share information or give their thoughts on. This is a discussion board. People come here to discuss, not to be ignored unless you find something you want to jump down their throats about.

Take the time once in a while to offer encouragement to someone.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Well, I hope you reconsider. I think no one wants you to leave the board for good.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And no, I don't think Barbie's the best film of the year. I had my issues with it, but I really get tired of a bunch of white men whining about what women and minorities are offended over and griping that they are being too sensitive. This board, for all it's "liberal" sensitivities, sure shares a lot of commonalities with all the aggrieved Trump supporters who are upset that they aren't being allowed to say sexist, racist, homophobic, ableist things for fear of being called out on their attitudes and behaviors. Just remember that you aren't upset that you aren't being able to say those things, you're just afraid of being called out on it and suffering the consequences of those statements. I cut that kind of cesspool behavior out of my life on Facebook and I see that I'm going to have to do the same here.

It's not like anyone here respected my thoughts or opinions as every one I have is criticized and demeaned. I rarely post anymore and this kind of behavior is why. I'm done. I can't take it anymore. I will join the long list of people who stopped posting here because of those behaviors. Magilla will be your sole moderator. Make sure to bookmark the site.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:28 pm
Sabin wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:28 pm The problem with your frustration is that I find conversations about "snub" and "fraud" tend to lead to a lot of good conversations. Maybe not in general but certainly on this board.

The word snub is definitely thrown around loosely and it's pretty subjective. Category fraud isn't. I like conversations about category fraud. I think it's generally cynical to position stars in supporting roles. It's been a frustration of mine basically since I started coming here. This is the first time I've heard charges of category fraud for screenplay at this volume though.

I don't know. I think it makes for good conversation?
Yes, it does make a good conversation. You start to get into real dangerous ground when you stop having conversations for the sake of fear of “offending someone”. Everyone tends to be offended by something these days…
Strictly a thingee that has lately and horrifically developed in the West. Thankfully we are spared of this in other parts of the world and still have the sense to enjoy getting snubbed along with snubbing in return. It can be done in jest too. Or have people forgotten how to laugh? Absolutely absurd to see and hear all this whining and acting like a martyr because someone says something we don't like. Grow a spine and learn to laugh at yourself.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Wes, what are these strong feelings about? Were you personally crestfallen when Barbie didn’t get the noms for director and actress?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Right. So the DGA just so happens to have had access to the same films but nominated two different people. Still not buying it.

And Magilla, I've seen griping about the "outrage" at the snubs all over this board since the nominations were announced. I even posted about it on Facebook I was so annoyed by it. You might not have participated in it, but it was pervasive enough that I am just over turning a blind eye to it. Honestly, I don't know what the purpose of this board is anymore. Perhaps it would be better for the world of cinema if it didn't exist.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:16 am
Gerwig was nominated by the DGA, but not the Academy? Why. Snobbery. The directors branch is the worst bunch of snobs out there. The only reason Triet was nominated was because her film was considered more "artful" by a cliquey bunch of men who didn't want any furor over not nominating a woman.
Or, like me, they collectively thought it was a far better, more powerful film. And, having literally just walked in from seeing it, it's a much more credible explanation to me. I actually think there's a lot in what you said. But not this part with the rank speculation.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:16 am Now, you guys need to stop being insulted by everyone who gripes over the Oscar nominations. You are not the gatekeepers (that's the directors branch, apparently) of taste and acclaim. Your constant mewling over people being upset that their favorites weren't nominated is becoming frustrating. There are far more people who've quit reading this board because you have become so insular and disrespectful of alternative voices.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Not only is this the first time I've written anything about the gripers, I have no recollection of anyone else here doing so either.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Emma, not Sharon. Fixed below.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:11 pm I liked Margot Robbie in Barbie. I just didn't like her more than Annette Bening, Sandra Hüller, Sharon Stone, Lily Gladstone, and the criminally neglected Greta Lee.
Sharon Stone?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think you're entirely missing the point of my post and that is the pure definition of what the UAADB has become. There's a reason I don't participate much anymore.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Discussions about category placement and nomination omissions always make for interesting discussions but when you start out referring to them as frauds and snubs you don't leave much room for discussion. It seems that if you don't completely agree you must either be old and out of touch or worse, a bigot.

I don't get that finding more to like in the performances of a 65-year-old actress playing an aging lesbian swimmer and a middle-aged German actress playing a bisexual murder suspect who prefers to speak English in a French film to a hot younger actress playing a plastic doll somehow makes you anti-woman. I liked Margot Robbie in Barbie. I just didn't like her more than Annette Bening, Sandra Hüller, Emma Stone, Lily Gladstone, and the criminally neglected Greta Lee.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”