Good ole days

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Good ole days

Post by OscarGuy »

So now that I've looked at my predictions for 1996, it turns out I was higher on Evita than The Crucible. My last predictions that I could find for 1996 had Daniel Day-Lewis & Winona Ryder predicted and Adapted Screenplay, Cinematograph, Art Direction, and Costume Design but not Best Picture. All of those predictions were eventually removed as is my process with Hopefuls. I start with the big contenders and whittle down as things get nearer and films get seen and build up or lose a reputation.

It's no different than thinking early on The Color Purple would be a nominee for Best Picture and in the end predicting it to get a single nomination.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Bog wrote
Yes, I remember pretty specific Titanic/L.A. Confidential debate being near the beginning as well as both Sabin and myself considering the Braveheart year to be one of our first "serious" Oscar endeavors as early/near teens....and both of us ashamed to have been so ecstatic at the time for its late dominance that award season
I'm glad there's no longer any trace of me describing Braveheart as "pure storytelling."

I ventured onto the board in late 1998/early 1999. That said, I think my first encounter with this board was with Wes' predictions in summer of 1997. I was spending a lot of my time in library reading books about film and old film magazines, as well as looking for Oscar-related resources online.

I wish we still had access to a lot of the political discussions back then. I think Allan Lichtman got newfound fame for "predicting" Donald Trump but I was turned onto him eight years prior thanks to Mister Tee's insistence that Obama had it in 2008.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

OscarGuy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:32 pm Based on all of my records, my site went live in 1996. And for 1995, I was pushing for Babe, not The Crucible. I didn't predict a single award for The Crucible, at least according to my records.
Yes, 1996. Sorry for that
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This version of the board went live 1/1/2003 which is the oldest date of any of the logins - I don't recall what happened between 3/16/2002 and then - it may have been that the initial version crashed.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Based on all of my records, my site went live in 1996. And for 1995, I was pushing for Babe, not The Crucible. I didn't predict a single award for The Crucible, at least according to my records.

2.15.1996 - Launched The Oscar Guy on GeoCities
3.18.2002 - Launched the oscarguy.com domain
1.22.2010 - Changed from OscarGuy.com to CinemaSight.com

Sadly, I don't have specific information on the board itself.

Here are same dates I was able to find:

I used Ikonboard from 2002 through 2011 until their latest version became unsustainable. 3.25.2011 is the date I started this new phpBB version of the board.

The earliest date I can find in the Wayback Machine for the discussion board was May 2, 1999; however, some of the posts have dates and the oldest is 4.28.1999.

If you want to visit the wayback machine, here's the earliest web address:
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/3713/ (shockingly, this address came back to me far faster than I expected to remember it)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Also, in 1999 and into 2000, we had Chloe Sevigny's cousin posting almost daily. She left when Chloe lost the Oscar to Angelina.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The year before, we had one of that year's Oscar winners posting under a pseudonym.

Andrew, though, was the only one who said he would acknowledge the board in his acceptance speech if he won.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I first came across Wes’s website in November 1995 when he was predicting The Crucible would sweep the following year.

My first recollections of the board date back to the 1999 awards. We even had an academy nominee as a member. The editor of The Sixth Sense.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

1997 is when it all began.
Bog
Assistant

Good ole days

Post by Bog »

Responding to Greg's query on the history ...and Magilla mentioned 1998...I feel like '98 or just prior is correct...Oscar Guy would be able to hammer this down for near certainty. It used to show those exact dates under our name/avatar but now I think we have to click into the individual profile and it shows 2003, when there was a LARGE revamping.

Started this thread so I didn't contribute further to hijacking much more relevant/topical threads....

Yes, I remember pretty specific Titanic/L.A. Confidential debate being near the beginning as well as both Sabin and myself considering the Braveheart year to be one of our first "serious" Oscar endeavors as early/near teens....and both of us ashamed to have been so ecstatic at the time for its late dominance that award season

Return to “General Off-Topic”