R.I.P. Herman Raucher

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Herman Raucher

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:14 pm Won't mean much to many of you, but Summer of '42 was a huge hit when I was in college.
The film was a massive hit in Pakistan when it was released sometime in 1975 or 1976. I remember watching it with a bunch of my high school mates. Sex has always been a best seller.
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Herman Raucher

Post by dws1982 »

I like Summer of '42, although most of what I like about it is the atmosphere that Mulligan, Surtees, and Michael Legrand's music create. I don't know that Raucher's screenplay is high on its list of virtues. Based on his filmography, he seemed to have a pretty specific lane of doomed/impossible romances. I've never seen Ode to Billy Joe, but Bobbie Gentry is one of the most interesting singer-songwriters of the late 60's/early 70's era, and it's very funny to me that that song was made into a movie that seemingly tried to "explain" the song. (I don't know that it's ever a great idea to adapt a song into a movie, but "Fancy" is much more cinematic if we are talking about Bobbie Gentry songs.)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Herman Raucher

Post by Mister Tee »

Won't mean much to many of you, but Summer of '42 was a huge hit when I was in college.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/09/movi ... -dead.html

Return to “The People”