R.I.P. Tom Wilkinson

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Tom Wilkinson

Post by Reza »

Most memorable in so many roles on television as well - was brilliant in Normal (2003) opposite Jessica Lange.

May he RIP.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I admit, it jarred me a bit to see obit headlines highlight The Full Monty, when I feel like I know Wilkinson from so many other things. But I guess it was his breakthrough part -- finally, in his late 40s, after decades of honorable but semi-anonymous work, he became singled out: The Full Monty Old Guy. He followed it up with so much more: his resume over the 20 years following containing enough memorable titles for multiple careers. Including those two Oscar nominations, the most exceptional being In the Bedroom, for which I'd have voted him best actor that year.

This one's a real crusher. An actor's actor.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Big Magilla wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:53 pm So, in England, he is remembered more for his BAFTA winning supporting role in The Full Monty than for his BAFTA and Oscar nominated Best Actor performance in In the Bedroom. Interesting.
Because one was a monster hit there and the other is likely unknown to most. The Full Monty made a whopping $84 million in the UK, while In the Bedroom made less than a million.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

So, in England, he is remembered more for his BAFTA winning supporting role in The Full Monty than for his BAFTA and Oscar nominated Best Actor performance in In the Bedroom. Interesting.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Tom Wilkinson

Post by Sabin »

News breaking. He was 75.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-65823240

Cause of death not yet revealed.

"Well, technically the procedure IS brain damage."
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The People”