R.I.P. Ryan O’Neal

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Ryan O’Neal

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:52 pm I've never seen Love Story, What's Up Doc? or Barry Lyndon.
*Gasp*
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I've never seen Love Story, What's Up Doc? or Barry Lyndon. I have to believe someone's gonna program it in Los Angeles after this.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Mister Tee wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:13 pm . . . pretty much everyone in sight outclassed him in What's Up, Doc?. . .
I thought his laconic demeanor suited the character quite well.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Well, he certainly was prominent for a stretch there. Though not a good actor, per se, he had a certain comic charm in What’s Up, Doc and Paper Moon, two very enjoyable movies.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I kind of disliked Ryan O'Neal from his pedigree -- knowing him first from Peyton Place and then Love Story didn't start him off on the right foot. And he was never the best element of any film he appeared in: his daughter (and Madeline Kahn) acted him off the screen in Paper Moon, pretty much everyone in sight outclassed him in What's Up, Doc?, and Mr. Kubrick plus all the visual designers were far more memorable in Barry Lyndon. Also, by many accounts, he was very much not a nice guy.

However...those three titles were legitimately moments in 70s movie-going, and, along with Oscar-honored Love Story, put him in the cinema history books, for which he merits a brisk sendoff.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I didn't see that one coming. For a while there, I thought his daughter might beat him to the grave.
mlrg
Associate

R.I.P. Ryan O’Neal

Post by mlrg »

Barry Lyndon is my all time favourite film.

RIP

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235730468/

Return to “The People”