R.I.P. Sinead O'Connor

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Re: R.I.P. Sinead O'Connor

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

mlrg wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:47 pm Her song “You made me the thief of your heart” composed by Bono and Gavin Friday for 1993’s In the Name of the Father is a great song that was overlooked by the Oscars (but not by the Globes btw).
Also worthy of note, her rendition of Lullaby for Cain, from The Talented Mr. Ripley, written by Yared/Minghella, is beyond exquisite. Another deserving original song ignored by the Academy.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Her song “You made me the thief of your heart” composed by Bono and Gavin Friday for 1993’s In the Name of the Father is a great song that was overlooked by the Oscars (but not by the Globes btw).
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Franz Ferdinand wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:57 am Anyone who wants a crash course in what "cancel culture", as defined in modern terms, truly looks like would do well to study the career of Sinead after the SNL hysteria. It was a heinous dogpile that would have destroyed even the strongest of people. Although she never backed down or changed her tune, she suffered so much for speaking the truth, and her life had been tumultuous before and after; don't forget that she lost her youngest son to suicide last year. Her first two albums are both fantastic, Am I Not Your Girl from 1992 an underrated gem, and her performances ever since have always been special. A truly sad loss, I hope has found some peace.
I would add Faith & Courage to the list of her great underrated albums.

She had a rare unique talent as well as an apparently tormented life everybody seem to be well aware now that she’s untimely gone. So sad… in my book, a great and deeply saddening lost.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Anyone who wants a crash course in what "cancel culture", as defined in modern terms, truly looks like would do well to study the career of Sinead after the SNL hysteria. It was a heinous dogpile that would have destroyed even the strongest of people. Although she never backed down or changed her tune, she suffered so much for speaking the truth, and her life had been tumultuous before and after; don't forget that she lost her youngest son to suicide last year. Her first two albums are both fantastic, Am I Not Your Girl from 1992 an underrated gem, and her performances ever since have always been special. A truly sad loss, I hope has found some peace.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Watching the media slowly exact their vendetta upon her was really uncomfortable to witness as it was going on. True, some people don't have the constitution to be a public figure and Sinead O'Connor was definitely one of them. And the public outcry in response to her anti-Catholic statements and gestures shouldn't have been all that surprising. After all, she did mean to provoke. But the way the media encouraged it and pretty much accelerated her destruction - for being outspoken, for being a chick who could act flaky, for having a shaved head - was disgusting. Back then, accusing the media of being anti-Catholic was a common thing, with Madonna's videos and The Last Temptation of Christ the evidence to their claims. Sinead O'Connor's targeted downfall was proof to the contrary

I vividly remember the very first time I saw/heard her. It was in the rec room at college, which had a grill for burgers and franks, billiard tables, arcade games and of course a TV set with MTV semi-blasting away.
Everyone's hanging out, chattering away, playing games, MTV serving as background audio. Then "Nothing Compares 2u" comes on. It was my first time seeing the video, and I bet it was everyone else's first time as well, because the room froze. Most everyone literally stopped what they were doing. It was a transfixing moment. Granted, the song alone likely wouldn't have done that. It was the image - the shaved head, the eyes, the extreme close-up - that stopped the room. It made quite an impression, needless to say. Afterwards, she quickly became a superstar, and then not long after that a media joke. What a shame. And what a tragic life.

For most people "Nothing Compares 2u" is pretty much all they will ever know about Sinead O'Connor. And since the video is going to be played repeatedly, let's honor her by at least acknowledging that her career was more than that one song. Find a decent compilation (I've never found her albums completely satisfying) and pay your respects.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

My reaction to hearing of her death at the age of 56 wasn’t one of surprise. She always seemed like the type who might die young. I do feel sad, though, knowing that she experienced so much emotional pain in her life. She was a force, a rare talent, perhaps brave in a way that didn’t always serve her well. Personally I didn’t think ripping up a photo of the pope on national TV was a radical act, but one that was a justified expression of anger given the context. Peace, Sinead.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Sinead O'Connor

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “Broadcast Media”