R.I.P. Tina Turner

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
danfrank
Assistant

Re: R.I.P. Tina Turner

Post by danfrank »

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Here's a video of one of Turner's greatest performances, her duo with Mick Jagger at the 1985 Live Aid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wyuwJP-u9Q
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

We were talking about legendary status when Gordon Lightfoot died. There is no arguing anything but that Tina is an absolute legend, one of the most mesmerizing performers of recent generations. That she suffered so much pain and overcame it just adds layers to what makes her star so brilliant. I was fortunate to see her perform once in a very intimate club, back before she rose back to superstardom, and then again in one of her huge arena shows. Safe passage, Ms.Tina.
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

I know she endured a stroke, intestinal cancer, a kidney transplant, and the suicide of her eldest child all within a short amount of time, but she's still one of those icons folks never thought about hearing this news about, at least not me. Saw her in concert twice, both in 2000, and they were as electrifying an experience as you can imagine. There will never be another one like her.
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Cher, who had visited her recently, phoned in to Ari Melber's show on MSNBC at 6:30. Said it was kidney disease that killed her. She had a dialysis machine in her home in order to keep the seriousness of her illness from the public.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Cher did too.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

For a period of time that lasted several decades, when someone said the name "Tina" you understood they were only talking about one person. As with Frank, Elvis, Bruce or Marilyn, the level of superstardom was so gigantic that last names were extraneous. (Beyonce and Madonna probably understood this.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

An icon of multiple generations
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Total shocker.

None of us were aware, at the time, of what was going on behind the scenes with Ike in the mid-60s, and that's obviously horrible. But the music was great. River Deep, Mountain High an all-timer.

And what a second act. Her solo breakthrough in 1984 was inspiring. What's Love Got to Do With It? one of the great Top 40 hits of my early adulthood.

Very hard to start seeing pop idols dying of old age.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

R.I.P. Tina Turner

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

One of the great icons of our time.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... es-aged-83
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Tina Turner

Post by Sonic Youth »

"What the hell?"
Win Butler