2023 Emmy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: 2023 Emmy Awards

Post by Sabin »

Man, this new website layout is weird!

I just caught up with Barry. I wasn't an especially big fan of the series until Season 3 because it left those acting classes behind, really found a balance between its tones, and gets into thornier territory. Season 4 was a slight letdown. It was conceptually interesting but less exciting moment to moment and just blunter overall. I'd imagine he's a longshot but I'd really like Anthony Carrigan to win. NoHo Hank is a very memorable character. He's a Chechen monster who is unfailingly polite, sunny, and naive and prone to saying phrases like "Barry is like super nice guy." He starts off a very one-note source of comedy but finds a lot of layers as the series goes on while staying true to what makes him such a memorably funny character. I have no doubt they'll give Brett Goldstein one more for the road. I haven't seen Season 3 of Ted Lasso but I'm so tired of that show and Roy Kent is such an overplayed character at this point (CORRECTION: it will be Harrison Ford in Shrinking). It would be nice for Anthony Carrigan to win one for Barry, especially considering that as an actor with alopecia he usually gets typecast as a villain and rarely gets to demonstrate such depth.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The insane number of choices kind of makes me understand why they'll sometimes have eight nominees in an acting category representing only three or four shows. When the category can include actors from everything including Power Book II: The Ghost to Chicago PD to Bel-Air to Fire Country to Carnival Row to Mayor of Kingstown, it makes sense that they would just fill out the category mostly with people from Succession and The White Lotus because it's much easier to just go with what you know than try to begin to catch up on everything that's out there.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yep.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

anonymous1980 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:18 pm The Emmy ballots.
Wow, I don’t believe I’ve looked at one of these ballots before. Being an Emmy voter seems to be pretty overwhelming. I picked out one category fairly randomly to review, which was Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series. There are well over 200 choices (closer to 250). It made me realize a few things:

1) it’s nigh impossible to get nominated among such an enormous herd;
2) it’s impossible for even the biggest television devotee to watch even half these shows, far fewer of which you can watch with regularity;
3) because of number 2, your chances of getting nominated increase if:
a) you’ve been nominated before and voters assume you’re worthy even if they don’t (regularly or at all) watch your show (this helps to explain why the same people get nominated over and over)
b) You’re a really famous actor (so many of these!) with a strong reputation on a show that’s got at least some buzz (example: Harrison Ford on Shrinking, who will probably get nominated); or
c) you’re on a show that’s super-popular and/or is a critical darling and you’ve stood out in some way.

In other words, television is a sh*t show when it comes to selecting the best of the best. It’s much easier to be a Tony voter where there are maybe a couple dozen new shows each year that you only have to see once.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

mlrg wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:07 pm
anonymous1980 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:31 am Kieran Culkin and Sarah Snook will be submitting themselves in the Lead categories this year for Succession.
Has any show ever had three leading actors nominated in the same year? Because there’s no chance in hell that Brian Cox, Jeremy Strong and Kieran Culkin don’t get nominated for Succession
Yes. The Golden Girls did it 4 years in a row. Three of them got nominated in Lead (and three of them took turns winning) while Estelle Getty went Supporting. There's no word where Brian Cox will be submitting. He could win in either Supporting or Guest if he so chooses to submit in those categories.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

anonymous1980 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:31 am Kieran Culkin and Sarah Snook will be submitting themselves in the Lead categories this year for Succession.
Has any show ever had three leading actors nominated in the same year? Because there’s no chance in hell that Brian Cox, Jeremy Strong and Kieran Culkin don’t get nominated for Succession
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Kieran Culkin and Sarah Snook will be submitting themselves in the Lead categories this year for Succession.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

anonymous1980 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:21 pm I also finished Beef which is reportedly going to compete in the Limited Series categories which ups its win chances by tenfold. And it deserves it too since it's a superb piece of work overall.
This is good to hear. (Still have not finished it, but I still don't see it as a story that should go on to another season.) I would guess Jessica Chastain may be the frontrunner in the Lead Actress category but I think Yeun could make a play for the Lead Actor award. Evan Peters does have the showier role, but Dahmer feels like it was years ago, a lot of people found it off-putting and in bad taste, and not that the Emmy voters care much, but Peters does already have one. Although it would be nice to see Steve Carell win too, because he is excellent on The Patient, doing something different, and should've won a couple of times by now. But I think Carell has long ago quit caring about awards.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

mlrg wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:46 pm Does any of you follow Succession? This last episode is magnificent. Best Drama series is in the bag.
Yep. Loved it. It's gonna win all the Emmys.

I also finished Beef which is reportedly going to compete in the Limited Series categories which ups its win chances by tenfold. And it deserves it too since it's a superb piece of work overall.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

flipp525 wrote
Did you notice that Justin Aaron Johnson also played Trump (on the phone) in She Said?
Yes. I found it very distracting because his Trump makes me break out into laughter every time I hear it. Not the appropriate reaction to that scene.

I really never thought I'd be able to laugh at anything related to Trump again but Johnson's rambling bullshit take on Trump just kills me. To the point where I'm like "Can we not do this right before an election?" I don't want anything making him look less harmful.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Does any of you follow Succession? This last episode is magnificent. Best Drama series is in the bag.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:19 pm
anonymous1980 wrote
OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Anthony Carrigan, Barry (HBO)
Harrison Ford, Shrinking (AppleTV+)
Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso (AppleTV+)
Nick Mohammed, Ted Lasso (AppleTV+)
Ebon Moss-Bachrach, The Bear (Hulu)
Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Prime Video)
Tyler James Williams, Abbott Elementary (ABC)
Henry Winkler, Barry (HBO)
Don't know who gets the bump but as their regular impressionist guy, I think Justin Austin Johnson might be getting close to his first nomination for SNL. I honestly reached the point where I never wanted to see anyone do a Trump impersonation again but his take is just remarkable. Just rambling bullshit.
Did you notice that Justin Aaron Johnson also played Trump (on the phone) in She Said?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I see Beef listed in for Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, and if it has to go in a Series I guess that's a better fit than Drama (although I could be persuaded that it's a Drama as well; it straddles the fence like so many shows do now), but based on the first half at least, I would really want it in the Limited Series categories, because I don't think it needs to be a continuing series. Steven Yeun should be winning everything for this. He is so good. (I do think Ali Wong's material is much weaker.)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

anonymous1980 wrote
OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Anthony Carrigan, Barry (HBO)
Harrison Ford, Shrinking (AppleTV+)
Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso (AppleTV+)
Nick Mohammed, Ted Lasso (AppleTV+)
Ebon Moss-Bachrach, The Bear (Hulu)
Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Prime Video)
Tyler James Williams, Abbott Elementary (ABC)
Henry Winkler, Barry (HBO)
Don't know who gets the bump but as their regular impressionist guy, I think Justin Austin Johnson might be getting close to his first nomination for SNL. I honestly reached the point where I never wanted to see anyone do a Trump impersonation again but his take is just remarkable. Just rambling bullshit.

Quick aside: I've only seen the first three or four episodes of Shrinking and my first thought was "This will get cancelled." That it's already been renewed and it's being predicted for Emmys is astonishing to me. It means well but I find it entirely weak sauce.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Broadcast Media”