In Memoriam

For the films of 2022
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: In Memoriam

Post by Big Magilla »

The Academy has addressed the issue, but not adequately.

A committee comprised of members from all branches decides on who gets in which explains the inclusion of agents and other hangers-on. Not sure if they vote on exclusions although it does seem that they do when they leave out controversial people like Robert Blake, Tom Sizemore, and Anne Heche.

I believe it's the TV producers who tell them how many they can have based on their calculations. This should be changed, especially as the years roll on and more and more people associated with the industry die each year.

As to why the Twitter universe is hot and bothered over certain exclusions but not others, I suspect it's because of their familiarity with certain people and not others. They know Sizemore from Saving Private Ryan, Sorvino from GoodFellas, and Heche from the headlines. Sadly, Jean-Louis Trintignant is one whose films including The Conformist, Z, Three Colors: Red, and Amour are probably not films they've seen.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:Lots of people are complaining about the omissions of Sorvino, Hudson, Sizemore, Philip Baker Hall, Charbli Dean on recency basis.

I can see the point on all of them, but what strikes me is, no one seems to be citing Trintignant. Does front-lining three Foreign/International Oscar winners (A Man and a Woman, Z, Amour) over half a century -- with The Conformist on top of it -- get no respect?
It would be interesting to hear from the Academy about why many names were omitted. Of course they will be mum on the subject. There were so many on the list - on the business side of Hollywood - that one had never heard of but got in. That was to be expected since its a show by the industry for themselves. Another 10 names added on would hardly have made a difference. So was it deliberate or just poor research?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Lots of people are complaining about the omissions of Sorvino, Hudson, Sizemore, Philip Baker Hall, Charbli Dean on recency basis.

I can see the point on all of them, but what strikes me is, no one seems to be citing Trintignant. Does front-lining three Foreign/International Oscar winners (A Man and a Woman, Z, Amour) over half a century -- with The Conformist on top of it -- get no respect?
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Reza wrote:I think its especially disgraceful if a former Oscar nominee is omitted. Melinda Dillon was nominated twice but was ignored. Ditto Hugh Hudson who was nominated for Chariots of Fire. Weird.
And Chaim Topol. Although he died after that segment was probably already produced.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:A number of very surprising omissions: Jean-Louis Trintignant, David Warner, Paul Sorvino, Melinda Dillon, Arnold Schulman, Hugh Hudson, Stella Stevens.

If anyone here picked Mirisch to end the list, I want them to pass me some lottery numbers.
I believe I was the only one to pick Mirisch. The former AMPAS president was a Thalberg and Hersholt honorary winner as well as a regular Oscar winner for producing In the Heat of the Night. He was beloved within the industry.

I knew that Angela Lansbury was not going to be last because she was last at SAG. I knew they would go their own way, and Lansbury, as great as she was in movies, was bigger on TV and stage. If the Tonys don't give her a special tribute something will surely be amiss.

I did think, however, that she could be first, but had I known John Travolta would be introducing the segment I would have given greater consideration to Olivia Newton-John and Kirstie Alley.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I think its especially disgraceful if a former Oscar nominee is omitted. Melinda Dillon was nominated twice but was ignored. Ditto Hugh Hudson who was nominated for Chariots of Fire. Weird.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Mister Tee wrote:A number of very surprising omissions: Jean-Louis Trintignant, David Warner, Paul Sorvino, Melinda Dillon, Arnold Schulman, Hugh Hudson, Stella Stevens.
He's more of a Canadian legend, but Gordon Pinsent was certainly snubbed.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A number of very surprising omissions: Jean-Louis Trintignant, David Warner, Paul Sorvino, Melinda Dillon, Arnold Schulman, Hugh Hudson, Stella Stevens.

If anyone here picked Mirisch to end the list, I want them to pass me some lottery numbers.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Kind of shocked Tom Sizemore got left out, specially considering how prominent in media and recent his passing was.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Updated. Significantly fewer typos than I thought I'd made.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:Heavy on typos and they pulled away from a couple that I didn't recognize.
Angelo Badalamenti was one of them.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Heavy on typos and they pulled away from a couple that I didn't recognize.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Pretty good getting nearly every name on that first pass.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Utterly disrespectful to Angela Lansbury. She didn't even get a clip in her slide.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

In Memoriam

Post by OscarGuy »

Please be patient as these are seldom done slow enough to perfectly type every name. I'll go back over it all just as soon as I possibly can and update.

Olivia Newton-John
John Korty
May Routh
Louise Fletcher
John Zaritsky
Albert Brenner
Mitchell Goldman
Irene Papas
Bob Rafelson
Ian Whittaker
Albert Saiki
Robbie Coltrane
Kirstie Alley
Ray Liotta
Angelo Badalamenti
Vicky Eguia
Gregory Jein
Neal Jimenez
Mike Hill
Tom Luddy
Marina Goldovskaya
Christopher Tucker
Irene Cara
Gregory Allen Howard
Owen Roizman
Gray Frederickson
Luster Bayless
Robert Dalva
Nichelle Nichols
Edward R. Pressman
Douglas McGrath
Julia Reichert
Edie Landau
Mike Moder
Jean-Luc Godard
Marvin March
Ralph Eggleston
Burt Bachrach
Nick Bosustow
Clayton Pinney
Donn Cambern
Simone Bar
Tom Whitlock
Amanda Mackey
Angela Lansbury
Wolfgang Petersen
John Dartigue
Burny Mattinson
Jacques Perrin
Maurizio Silvi
Mary Alice
Gina Lollobrigida
Douglas Kirkland
Carl Bell
Vangelis
James Caan
Raquel Welch
Walter Mirisch
Wesley Lovell

Return to “95th Academy Awards”