R.I.P. Robert Blake

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Robert Blake

Post by Big Magilla »

There is no way they will include anyone who has not been declared legally dead in the In Memoriam segment. It takes seven years for a missing person to be declared legally dead in the U.S. Don't expect to see him to be included until 2030.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Mister Tee wrote:I'd just finally printed out my list of recent celebrity deaths for my Oscar party (we, too, use last-in-the-In Memoriam as tie-breaker), and, two days in a row, I have to amend it.
This got me thinking, will the In Memoriam include Julian Sands? This puts the Academy in a very delicate position. They do not want to be seen as ignoring Sands; but, they also do not want to be seen as squelching any hope that he could still be found alive.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

He was a very good child actor in the 1940s, the second to die this week following Ted Donaldson.

I always thought that the jury knew he was guilty but looked for an excuse to let him off the hook for murdering the woman who ruined his life. I doubt he had much peace in life the last twenty years. I kind of felt sorry for him the way you do him and Scott Wilson in In Cold Blood.

R.I.P. is indeed appropriate.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

He had a pretty big presence in the 70s when he played Baretta. There was a certain charm about him. When you read about his life, starting from the very beginning, it’s pretty Dickensian. The charm appears to have been a survival mechanism, with exceedingly dark layers just underneath.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Like with Phil Spector, I'm not sure R.I.P. sits exactly right for a guy who killed his wife. But you can't take away that he was extraordinary as Perry Smith.

I remember, when he won his Emmy for Baretta, he started thanking Lewis Milestone and Hal Roach. I didn't know at the time that he'd been an Our Gang actor, and I thought he was hallucinating.

I'd just finally printed out my list of recent celebrity deaths for my Oscar party (we, too, use last-in-the-In Memoriam as tie-breaker), and, two days in a row, I have to amend it.
anonymous1980
Laureate

R.I.P. Robert Blake

Post by anonymous1980 »

Story.

A complicated legacy but did some good work.

Return to “The People”