R.I.P. Bob Rafelson

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Bob Rafelson

Post by Mister Tee »

Five Easy Pieces is one of my all-time "I don't get it" films, so I don't have the same feeling of loss some do. I was hugely disappointed by the film in 1970, and a relatively recent re-watch didn't change my opinion. The performances were fine, but the drama, outside of the famous scene, let me unmoved.

On the other hand, I liked The King of Marvin Gardens when I finally got to see it in the past few years. And Stay Hungry was likable enough. Never saw what dws and Damien did in Mountains of the Moon, but the epic style has never been my favorite.

If you're interested in the sheer insanity that surrounded the whole BBS gang in 70s Hollywood, Ron Brownstein's Rock Me on the Water has some pretty fascinating stories.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Rafelson was a director with one great film and a handful of near misses.

The King of Marvin Gardens, Black Widow, and Blood and Wine are certainly worth seeking out, but only Mountains of the Moon comes close to approaching the greatness of Five Easy Pieces.

The old Artisan DVD of Mountains of the Moon has long been out of print, but there was a region-free Spanish Blu-ray released last year that is supposed to be excellent although there have been complaints of the inability to turn off the Spanish subtitles.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

dws1982 wrote
I think you'd really like The King of Marvin Gardens. It's available to stream on Prime. I may watch it soon. It's one of my favorite Nicholson performances.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Not looking forward to the impending wave of New Hollywood legends dropping.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I think you'd really like The King of Marvin Gardens. It's available to stream on Prime. I may watch it soon. It's one of my favorite Nicholson performances. Nicholson was also very good in Blood and Wine, the last Rafelson movie that anyone saw. It's a pulpy south-Florida neo-noir with a very atypical Michael Caine performance too. Mountains of the Moon is a completely forgotten film, his attempt at something approaching a David Lean-esque epic, but it is excellent, very much in need of re-discovery.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Bob Rafelson

Post by Sabin »

I assumed he was already dead.

New Hollywood giant as a writer, director, and producer. Monkees co-creator. Had no idea that he was related to Samuel Raphaelson. I've only seen Five Easy Pieces. I should explore at least the rest of his 70's output, as well as The BBS Story documentary, which looks interesting.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/bob- ... 235324320/

In 2004, he said in an interview: “If it happens that people respond to your work in your lifetime, well, you’re very lucky…it gives you permission to go on making movies. But if you don’t get the applause, well, there are other things. I mean, after all, there’s your life to live.”
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The People”