January 6 Hearings

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: January 6 Hearings

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:I don't think they are trying to convince the diehards. They are trying to convince the DOJ and the persuadable public. Unfortunately, unless that is then tied to the current iteration of the Republican Party with more force, it won't affect any change in that Party.
The DOJ has enough to indict but maybe not enough to convict. All it takes is one tainted juror to have a hung jury.

I don't think there is a persuadable public. If they haven't gotten the message by now, they're not going to get it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote: Theory:
When a bombshell drops, and someone says "But is anyone really surprised?" and that it will change no one's minds, and the person who says that isn't Sabin, it means that the tide has finally turned.
Yes, but for the better?

We've been waiting since he came down the escalator to announce his running for president in 2015 for people to reject him and his ilk. Nothing has changed nor will it other than that they will substitute DeSantis or some other clone if he does become too toxic.

I am more hopeful that the tide will turn against another Republican surge thanks to people on the other side getting out and voting thanks to the actions of the Supreme Court.

Elect more Democrats, maintain the Democratic majority in the House, end the filibuster in the Senate, and pass needed reforms including expanding the Supreme Court to 13.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't think they are trying to convince the die hards. They are trying to convince the DOJ and the persuadable public. Unfortunately, unless that is then tied to the current iteration of the Republican Party with more force, it won't affect any change in that Party.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Theory:
When a bombshell drops, and someone says "But is anyone really surprised?" and that it will change no one's minds, and the person who says that isn't Sabin, it means that the tide has finally turned.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

What we heard today was disgusting, but was anyone really surprised and more importantly, does anyone still think his head-in-the-sand supporters will turn on him? As I watched, I couldn't help but think they'll just say "see, he wasn't lying when he said he would see us at the Capitol. The Secret Service stopped him from keeping his word."

"I'm the f'n president. Take me up to the Capitol now" -- Hutchinson testifies that Trump GRABBED AT THE STEERING WHEEL of a car to try to force the secret service to take him to the Capitol."

"There was ketchup dripping off the wall" -- Hutchinson testifies Trump literally threw his lunch against the wall after Bill Barr told the AP there was no evidence of election fraud sufficient to overturn the election."

Hutchinson on Meadows's characterization of Trump's reaction to the "hang Mike Pence" chants: "He thinks Mike deserves it. He doesn't think they're doing anything wrong."
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

...fucking hell.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

January 6 Hearings

Post by Big Magilla »

The third hour of the fourth hearing today was extraordinary.

Former Fulton County, Georgia election worker Shaye Moss and her mother, Lady Ruby, as well as Ruby's unseen mother are instant folk heroes. Whoever gets to play them in a TV miniseries or theatrical film could well become Emmy or Oscar front-runners.

Return to “Current Events”