Multiple nominated performers in NO Best Picture nominees

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Multiple nominated performers in NO Best Picture nominees

Post by Big Magilla »

Good catches.

The closest Cruz has gotten is a Best Foreign Language Film (All About My Mother).

Hayward's I want to Live! was nominated for Best Director but not Best Picture. It was nominated for Best Picture at the Golden Globes where her With a Song in My Heart won a Best Picture award six years earlier. She did star in a film that was a sequel to a Best Picture nominee, 1954's Demetrius and the Gladiators, the sequel to The Robe, but that's as close as she got.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Susan Hayward had five Oscar nominations and Penélope Cruz has had four. I don't notice any Best Picture nominees that either one acted in (although I do miss things occasionally).
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Thank you! I knew there was probably someone else. Barrymore of course was, like Page, another stage actress who didn't make a ton of films. (Less than 25 in the Oscar era.)

I always forget that Lee Grant wasn't nominated for In the Heat of the Night. She falls into the Laura Linney/Joan Allen category of "never nominated for a Best Picture nominee, but appeared in one" (a winner, in Grant's case).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Ethel Barrymore. Unless I missed someone, Barrymore, Page, and Lee Grant are the only ones with four or more nominations, none of which were in Best Picture nominees.
dws1982
Emeritus

Multiple nominated performers in NO Best Picture nominees

Post by dws1982 »

Now that school is slowing down (briefly, as I have to spend time this summer preparing for next year when I am giving up my planning period for a dual enrollment course) I am working on another project I've had on hold for awhile and I have a question:

Is Geraldine Page the only actor or actress to have four or more Oscar nominations to never appear in a Best Picture nominee?

I know when you get down to three, you have at least one (possibly more) who never appeared in a Best Picture nominee: Marcello Mastroianni, whose career was mostly in Italian films, and kind of Gig Young, who was, from what I gather, an uncredited extra in Sergeant York.

Wikipedia has a sortable list of actors with Academy Award nominations, but short of clicking on every single name, it's easy to overlook someone.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”