USC Scripter Nominees

For the films of 2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: USC Scripter Nominees

Post by Sabin »

I’ve had doubts for a little bit as to whether or not Jane Campion would pick up Oscars for writing and directing The Power of the Dog, and part of this is due to whether or not the film is seen as a feat of writing or directing. With a few exceptions (involving a popularity I don’t think TPOTD has), I generally feel as though Oscar voters view a film as a feat of one or the other. It seems to me that The Power of the Dog is seen more as a product of Jane Campion’s directorial eye rather than her writing. I still think she can walk away with both prizes, but I wonder which film might be beneficiary if voters opt to spread the wealth.

It’s probably between CODA and Drive My Car. I could make a case for either one.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's not a surprise to me.

Although I did believe The Power of the Dog was more deserving and my predicted winner, this is a woman centric organization that almost always votes for either a screenplay written by or one based on a novel written by a woman, especially if the central character is a woman. So, disappointing, but not surprising that they went there.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, big surprise to me:

The Lost Daughter is your winner.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sabin wrote:I wonder if Dune's screenwriting nomination chances are underrated. I haven't been considering it likely but it might actually be somewhat locked in.
I agree. Eric Roth is a six-time nominee, including twice in the last 3 years!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I wonder if Dune's screenwriting nomination chances are underrated. I haven't been considering it likely but it might actually be somewhat locked in.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

USC Scripter Nominees

Post by Mister Tee »

This year's slate:

Dune (screenwriters Eric Roth, Jon Spaihts and Denis Villeneuve), based on the novel of the same name (author Frank Herbert)

The Lost Daughter (screenwriter Maggie Gyllenhaal), based on the novel of the same name (author Elena Ferrante)

Passing (screenwriter Rebecca Hall), based on the novel of the same name (author Nella Larsen)

The Power of the Dog (screenwriter Jane Campion), based on the novel of the same name (author Thomas Savage)

The Tragedy of Macbeth (screenwriter Joel Coen), based on the play Macbeth (playwright William Shakespeare)

Return to “94th Academy Awards”