Christmas 2021

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Christmas 2021

Post by Sabin »

Sonic Youth wrote
It was quite an interesting Christmas this year. My 76 year old Jewish mother who was adamant about our religious and spiritual upbringing just announced that she's an atheist and has been all this while. That might explain why all that Jewish instruction never completely took hold in us kids.
After returning from Birthright, I had a conversation with my childhood Rabbi with whom I was always close about a spiritual crisis I was undergoing and he told me that he was an atheist. Didn't believe in God at all. He just believes that God exists in acts of godliness. Anyway, I don't think it's uncommon for Jewish traditions to be passed on for other reasons beyond belief in the hereafter.

I don't have much of a Christmas to report. The previous month has been an emotionally exhausting one for me so I opted to sit the day out and watched some movies alone at my place. Hopefully next year brings better tidings.
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate. Mine was quiet this year, which was just what the doctor ordered.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Merry Christmas.

My family got together last Saturday to celebrate since my brother and his wife are at Disney World for the week. I went over to my mom's house and we went to see Sing 2. Otherwise, it was a pretty quiet and relaxing day.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

It was quite an interesting Christmas this year. My 76 year old Jewish mother who was adamant about our religious and spiritual upbringing just announced that she's an atheist and has been all this while. That might explain why all that Jewish instruction never completely took hold in us kids.

Thanksgiving isn't the only holiday for shocking family revelations.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Christmas 2021

Post by Mister Tee »

Almost belatedly, a very Merry Christmas to all. I passed my COVID test and have been able to spend the holiday with my 90-plus parents. Hope all are enjoying a bit of rest as the year winds down.

Return to “General Off-Topic”