Mass reviews

Okri
Tenured

Re: Mass reviews

Post by Okri »

I have to admit I'm a little bit surprised it didn't have a stronger presence this past awards race. All four leading performers were absolutely terrific - would've loved to see any/all of them recognized more. The film has a very narrow tone which makes it a tough sit. It's a film that feels as literate as a play would and Kranz' direction is unobtrusive but he does thing with camera placements (varying shot distance and length in interesting/productive ways). That said, the script is certainly the stronger of Kranz' work and I'd love to see him tackle something bigger to see if he can handle it. I can't recall the last film that had me crying as much as this one did.
flipp525
Laureate

Mass reviews

Post by flipp525 »

An incredibly affecting chamber piece that seems to transcend its own inherent claustrophobia to deliver a moving portrait of forgiveness, grief, empathy, and grace.

All four main actors are just phenomenal and each have a big “moment.” But “best in show” honors go to Martha Plimpton and, in particular, Jason Isaacs who almost arrests the entire film with his monologue.

Sure to show up for acting nominations this year and, perhaps, even wins.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “2021”