How do you watch movies?

gunnar
Assistant

Re: How do you watch movies?

Post by gunnar »

I have a 55 inch tv that I for streaming movies and tv shows from Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, and YouTube. I also have my blu-ray player hooked up to it and watch dvds and and blu-rays on it, most of which are borrowed from the library. There are also some movies that I watch on my laptop which are on other streaming places or that I have on my hard drive.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Considering that I "started" this conversation...

I love -- love -- going to the movies. I love it. It's my favorite. No distractions. Total immersion. A break from my everyday life. Nothing has changed in that relationship. There's nothing I love more than going to the movies but I'd be remiss if I didn't admit that I'm certainly going less and less. There's less that I want to see and I'm also a bit concerned about Coronavirus. But I feel like this fall will get me back into the swing of it. I've recently moved to a new part of town and there aren't any movie theaters terribly close. Downtown is the closest. There's an Alamo Drafthouse I haven't ventured to yet.

This past year, I bought my first place. I'm living alone for the first time in fifteen years. I'm struggling to figure out what kind of television to get. I've spent a lot of my time in Los Angeles enjoying other roommate's televisions but now I want to get my own. I came very close to getting a projector. I enjoyed a roommate's projector for a few years and it was a wonderful experience but my ceiling is a bit awkwardly shaped for it and it would be a big to do. I'm still trying to figure out the right screen for my place. I know I want it to be special.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I watch most of my movies on my laptop. I have an old CRT TV that has color issues. I pretty much only use it to watch awards shows.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

On a 54" TV from a distance of 12 feet.

I watch films mostly from DVDs and Blu-rays or via streaming.

I have approximately 1,350 Blu-rays in their original cases in 3 display cabinets (approximately 90 per shelf). I have an additional 4,000 plus Blu-rays and DVDs in storage boxes the size of shoeboxes that I keep in a closet.
mlrg
Associate

How do you watch movies?

Post by mlrg »

Sabin wrote: Unnecessary side note: I haven't personally owned a television of my own in over five years. It's certainly put a damper on my viewing habits. But today I went shopping for one which (when I settle on the model) will be the first entertainment unit purchased with money from being a full-time creative.
This side note from Sabin got me thinking about the best way to watch movies (aside from a big screen in a movie theater) and how you guys watch them.

How big is you TV set? Do you prefer to watch old movies on you laptop? Do you have a big projector at home?

I bought a 65 inch tv for my 320 square feet living room and watch movies with the least surrounding light possible. I own 1400+ movies in digital format stored in two different hard drives that can be connected to the tv (I got rid of 600+ dvds for space purposes). Personally I hate to watch a movie on a laptop or an airplane.
Last edited by mlrg on Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”