1958-1967 Best Supporting Actress Winners

Which Best Supporting Actress winner 1958-1967 was best or most deserving?

Wendy Hiller - Separate Tables
13%
Shelley Winters - The Diary of Anne Frank
13%
Shirley Jones - Elmer Gantry
No votes
Rita Moreno - West Story Story
No votes
Patty Duke - The Miracle Worker
13%
Margaret Rutherford - The V.I.P.s
13%
Lila Kedrova - Zorba the Greek
13%
Shelley Winters - A Patch of Blue
No votes
Sandy Dennis - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
38%
Estelle Parsons - Bonnie and Clyde
No votes

Total votes: 8

CalWilliam
Temp

Re: 1958-1967 Best Supporting Actress Winners

Post by CalWilliam »

Wendy Hiller was very good; Shelley Winters’ first Oscar was probably more deserved than her second; Shirley Jones’ slyness is used to great effect in Elmer Gantry; Rita Moreno’s performance is iconic and she comes back this year with a movie named after the one she won for; Patty Duke (as good as she was) won Lansbury’s Oscar; Rutherford is hilarious and unforgettable in a dreaful movie; Kedrova’s pathos is the reason to sit through Zorba the Greek and Parsons provides a great counterpoint to a legendary movie. Nevertheless I think Sandy Dennis is by far the most unique actress and gives the most groundbreaking performance among this group.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Reza wrote:Voted for Lila Kedrova - Zorba

None of the others should have won as they either had stronger competition amongst the nominees or they won over someone who should have been nominated - Magilla covers the lot below.
I understand these polls as an exercise of chosing between the 10 winners of the decade so I really don't get excluding someone from the analysis because someone else should have won that specific year.

Anyway, voted for Wendy Hiller.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Voted for Lila Kedrova - Zorba

Followed by Rutherford.

None of the others should have won as they either had stronger competition amongst the nominees or they won over someone who should have been nominated - Magilla covers the lot below.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

1958-1967 Best Supporting Actress Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

While all these women deserved their nominations, there was only in my estimation that deserved to win for the her performance.

Wendy Hiller was fine in Separate Tables but the center of gravity of that film's storied ensemble was Gladys Cooper at her bitchiest as Deborah Kerr's controlling mother.

Shelley Winters was justifiably irritating in The Diary of Anne Frank, but both Susan Kohner and Juanita Moore in Imitation of Life and the non-nominated Edith Evans in her Hollywood film debut in The Nun's Story were stronger.

Shirley Jones shattering her nice girl image in Elmer Gantry was the best of the nominees, but this is the one Wendy Hiller should have won for Sons and Lovers.

Rita Moreno was the best of the cast in West Side Story but Fay Bainter's grandmother of the brat in The Children's Hour gave the year's most forceful performance in this category.

Patty Duke perfected her portrayal of Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker on the stage, but Angela Lansbury's still amazing performance in The Manchurian Candidate should have won this won hands down.

Margaret Rutherford was at the top of her popularity as Miss Marple in 1963's Murder at the Gallop, but her hilarious turn in The V.I.P.s gave them something to vote for in the supporting category despite stiff competition from Edith Evans in Tom Jones and Lilia Skala in Lilies of the Field. She gets my vote.

Lila Kedrova was a surprise winner forZorba the Greek over veterans Gladys Cooper in My Fair Lady, Edith Evans in The Chalk Garden, and Agnes Moorehead in Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte. My pick was Evans.

Shelley Winters won her second Oscar for her bigoted mother of the blind girl in A Patch of Blue over a field that included Ruth Gordon in Inside Daisy Clover and Peggy Wood in The Sound of Music but oddly ignored Joan Blondell in The Cincinnati Kid who should have won.

Sandy Dennis always remined me of a scared rabbit beginning with her Oscar winning turn in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. I would have voted for a second win for Wendy Hiller in A Man for All Seasons.

Estelle Parsons was interesting in Bonnie and Clyde but the award should have gone to the delightful Mildred Natwick in Barefoot in the Park or the equally delightful but Oscar ignored Marjorie Rhodes in The Family Way.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”