1948-1957 Best Supporting Actor Winners

Which Best Supporting Actor winner 1948-1957 was best or most deserving?

Walter Huston - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
55%
Dean Jagger - Twelve O'Clock High
No votes
George Sanders - All About Eve
36%
Karl Malden - A Streetcar Names Desire
9%
Anthony Quinn - Viva Zapata!
No votes
Frank Sinatra - From Here to Eternity
No votes
Edmond O'Brien - The Barefoot Contessa
No votes
Jack Lemmon - Mister Roberts
No votes
Anthony Quinn - Lust for Life
No votes
Red Buttons - Sayonara
No votes

Total votes: 11

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 1948-1957 Best Supporting Actor Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

I voted for Walter Huston for what may be the finest performance ever to win this category. George Sanders, Frank Sinatra, and Jack Lemmon were the other winners I agreed with.

Dean Jagger won for more than taking off his toupee. His narration helped bring his character into focus, but Ralph Richardson in The Heiress owned the category.

I didn't much care for Karl Malden in A Streetcar Named Desire. His was the weakest of the four acting nominees for the film. Peter Ustinov's Nero was my idea of the best of the year's nominees, although the non-nominated Robert Walker in Strangers on a Train was my favorite.

I don't remember much about Anthony Quinn as Marlon Brando's brother in Viva Zapata!, but none of the nominees stood out. My favorite performance of the year was the non-nominated Barry Fitzgerald in The Quiet Man who I passed over the year he won for Ging My Way.

I didn't care for Edmond O'Brien's sweaty performance in The Barefoot Contessa at all. This is the year Malden should have won for On the Waterfront.

Yes, they gave it to the wrong Anthony in 1956. It should have been Perkins for Friendly Persuasion.

The Buttons win over Hayakawa remains one of the greatest injustices of many in Oscar history.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

For me the three standouts are George Sanders, waaaay ahead of both Walter Huston and Frank Sinatra. In that order. Followed by Quinn's two wins.

Dean Jagger got his for throwing off his toupée and appearing with his natural bald head. Of his competition I preferred Ralph Richardson and John Ireland. Karl Malden got swept up with the rest of the 2 winners although only Brando and Vivien Leigh should have won. It was a weak lineup although Peter Ustinov is campy fun as Nero. Quinn was very good and deserved his two wins. Not fond of the wins for Edmond O'Brien (both Lee J. Cobb and Karl Malden were so much better) and Red Buttons (the award should have gone to Sessue Hayakawa). Lemmon was ok.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

George Sanders’ brilliance all the way, with Walter Huston and Karl Malden a close second and third. Of the rest I would only consider Dean Jagger, Anthony Quinn in Viva Zapata! and Jack Lemmon in Mister Roberts.

Sinatra won by default in the movie of the year in a very weak lineup. O’Brien was solid but one of the On the Waterfront guys should have won, probably Rod Steiger. I don’t remember Quinn as Paul Gauguin, but you had Tony Perkins’ new talent in what was sadly and incomprehensibly his only chance. And Red Buttons was the saving grace in Sayonara, but Sessue Hayakawa deserved it hands down.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Walter Huston is the easy choice here, followed (for me) by Jack Lemmon and Frank Sinatra.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

1948-1957 Best Supporting Actor Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

The supporting male winners in this this decade on the whole provided more memorable performances than their winning female counterparts.

I actually agree with four of the winners as opposed to only two of the "best" supporting actresses this decade.

What do you think?

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”