R.I.P. Tom T. Hall

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
dws1982
Emeritus

R.I.P. Tom T. Hall

Post by dws1982 »

Deeply under-appreciated songwriter. I guess his association with "Harper Valley PTA" is probably his most well-known cultural imprint, although that's probably more associated with Jeannie C. Riley (and even producer Shelby Singleton) than Hall. Truth is, Hall came out of the other side of that song better than Riley or Singleton and he wrote lots and lots of songs better than it. It's a deep bench: "Little Bitty", which became a number one hit for Alan Jackson in the 90's, "That Song Is Driving My Crazy", "Sneaky Snake", "I Love", "That's How I Got to Memphis", "The Year Clayton Delaney Died", and his biggest hit "(Old Dogs, Children, and) Watermelon Wine".

He was better at the novelty song thing, in my opinion, than Roger Miller (who wrote some songs I love--since this is an Oscar board, it still annoys me every time I remember that "Love" from Robin Hood got the Oscar nomination and not any of the Roger Miller songs), but didn't win all of the Grammys that Miller won, probably because the categories were more competitive when Hall was active than they were when Miller was hot.

----------
Tom T. Hall, 'The Storyteller' of country music, dies at 85

Tom T. Hall, a Country Music Hall of Fame artist who wrote unassuming songs with distinct depth, died Friday at age 85.

Hall died at his home in Franklin Tennessee, according to his son, Dean Hall.

A consummate country songwriter who penned the classic "That's How I Got To Memphis, captured life's intimate details with lighthearted songs such as "I Like Beer" and showcased era-defining sharpness with "Harper Valley PTA," Hall entered the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2008, alongside Emmylou Harris, The Statler Brothers and Ernest Stoneman.

Many knew him as "The Storyteller," an apt nickname given to Hall by a fellow legend -- Tex Ritter.

A Grand Ole Opry member since 1971, the venerable radio program paid tribute to Hall late Saturday.

"Thank you for all of the music, Tom T. Hall," the Opry shared on social media. "We’ll miss you."

Return to “Broadcast Media”