93rd Oscars Trivia

For the films of 2020
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: 93rd Oscars Trivia

Post by OscarGuy »

The Father was eligible for all critics awards because there was supposed to be a qualifying run in 2020. I don't think they ended up doing it after all, so it may have cheated eligibility. Hopkins won 3 critics awards, was runner-up in an additional 3, and received a total of 28 total nominations, third only to Boseman and Ahmed, with all but 6 being critics groups. Some of those had expanded eligibility period, but the vast majority were calendar year-only.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
If you give the voters more time, they'll make their own decisions. I fully believe the Hopkins win wouldn't have happened if this had all happened on last year's schedule.
On last year's schedule, it's very likely that Ma Rainey... & One Night in Miami get nominated and The Father & Judas and the Black Messiah don't.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

This was the worst Golden Globe match-up to the four Oscar acting categories since 1998 -- that year, and this, only one winner matched, and one Globe winner missed even being nominated by AMPAS.

The last time the Globes failed to forecast either lead acting winner at the Oscars was, I believe, 1985 (Jon Voight & Whoopi Goldberg).

I think the elongated season might have had something to do with that. It's worth noting that, in the years just before the move to February, there were significant surprises: Adrien Brody in 2002, Denzel and Halle Berry in 2001 (when Crowe and Sissy Spacek seemed front-runners after the Globes), Marcia Gay Harden in 2000. The shorter the season, the more the Globes started setting an agenda that other groups progressively began ratifying.

If you give the voters more time, they'll make their own decisions. I fully believe the Hopkins win wouldn't have happened if this had all happened on last year's schedule.
Last edited by Mister Tee on Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

First time since the 78th Academy Awards that no film won more than three awards. Before that, we have to go all the way back to the 13th Academy Awards.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Big Magilla wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:With four awards, Denmark now ties with Spain and Japan as the most successful country for Best International Film.
Italy has the most wins - 14, followed by France with 12.
Yes, of course... I need to double check this things up. I was meant to say "...ties with Spain and Japan for the THIRD place..."
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Some COVID-specific trivia: Hopkins and Kaluuya, as far as I know, were not eligible for this year's critic's awards (certainly NY). I'm not sure Youn was, either. Meaning they'll be eligible when voting rolls around in December.

This sort of thing used to happen back in the days of one-week-in-LA-only releases, but rarely had much impact -- the only real case I can think of is Gregory Peck, nominated at the 1949 Oscars for Twelve O'Clock High, winning best actor at the 1950 NY Critics. But in these cases, Hopkins especially, you have performances widely considered all-timers. It's quite possible Oscar-ineligible work will rule at next years' critics' awards.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:With four awards, Denmark now ties with Spain and Japan as the most successful country for Best International Film.
Italy has the most wins - 14, followed by France with 12.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:There seems to be very little interest in starting this topic. in previous years, it would have been already posted, so I will try to start it up:
That's because it was traditionally Uri's thing, and his appearances are brief at this point.
HarryGoldfarb wrote:- At 89, Ann Roth is now the oldest woman to win an Oscar in any category.
I just love this stat so: both times, she's won over an adaptation of Emma.
HarryGoldfarb wrote:- Yuh-jung Youn is the first Asian actress to win since Miyoshi Umeki in 1957.
Perhaps more notably, she's the first-ever supporting winner for a perfomance in a foreign-language film. Valentina Cortese (1973) and Marina deTavira (2018) are the only two previous such nominees.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

93rd Oscars Trivia

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

There seems to be very little interest in starting this topic. in previous years, it would have been already posted, so I will try to start it up:

- Hopkins now holds the record for the oldest actor to win a competitive Oscar. The record applies to the four performance categories.
- At 89, Ann Roth is now the oldest woman to win an Oscar in any category. Same age as James Ivory, but I don't have the time or dedication to determine who is the oldest when they won.
- Frances McDormand is now the seventh person to earn a third acting statuette. And we know that she is only the second woman to achieve three Leading Role awards.
- Frances McDormand joins Michael Douglas, George Clooney and Brad Pitt in the group of actors who have won Oscars in acting and Best Picture. She is the first to do so for the same film.
- Yuh-jung Youn is the first Asian actress to win since Miyoshi Umeki in 1957.
- We saw several very long gaps between previous awards and the one received last night: Ann Roth (24 years), Hopkins (29 years) and Christopher Hampton (32 years). I don't know if someone escapes me.
- With four awards, Denmark now ties with Spain and Japan as the third most successful country in the Best International Film category.
- Mia Neal and Jamika Wilson become first black women to win hair and makeup Oscar.
Last edited by HarryGoldfarb on Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”