The Official Review Thread of 2020

anonymous1980
Laureate

Re: The Official Review Thread of 2020

Post by anonymous1980 »

EUROVISION SONG CONTEST: THE STORY OF FIRE SAGA
Cast: Will Ferrell, Rachel McAdams, Pierce Brosnan, Dan Stevens, Demi Lovato, Melissanthi Mahut, Mikael Persbrandt, Ólafur Darri Ólafsson, Graham Norton.
Dir: David Dobkin.

Two aspiring Icelandic musicians is given the unlikely opportunity to represent their country in the Eurovision Song Contest. Hilary ensues. This film has some really funny moments in it. But it's all found inside of a bloated, unnecessarily long running time (over two hours, that's very long for a broad comedy). Because of that, this film is strictly hit and miss. Will Ferrell does his usual thing which in this context is also fairly hit and miss. Rachel McAdams though is a delight through and through. She handles the comedy and the singing very well and she makes the two hours almost seem worth it.

Oscar Prospects: I better brace myself for the possibility that a song called "Jaja Ding Dong" might get a Best Original Song Oscar nomination next year. Haha.

Grade: C+
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: The Official Review Thread of 2020

Post by Sabin »

The King of Staten Island (Judd Apatow)

The bar for Judd Apatow directed films is a little low. They're all shambling hang-out joints that go on a little long, but they all have their charms. The King of Staten Island starts off very well with a lived-in authenticity to the locations, to the central star (Pete Davidson, on whose life this film is based), and strong cinematography by Robert Elswitt that just gives it a different feel. For a moment, it feels as though Apatow has captured something interesting in a bottle. A somewhat uniquely interesting tragic portrait of arrested development (lazy slacker whose firefighter father died when he was seven), flirting with danger but too lazy to embrace it. Or (if you want to be more cynical) just an appropriate subject matter to wrap his shambling hang-out films around and not appear at first glance to be hopelessly derivative. But the beer goes flat halfway through. This film is seriously overlong, but more damningly it just becomes this cuddly thing that forces Pete Davidson's character towards redemption, in the process losing most of its bite. The reason is the film truly believes that Pete Davdison's character can't hit rock bottom because he already did when he was seven years old. So, it doesn't really devote any energy to put him through the wringer. It just wants to point to what might happen if he doesn't turn himself around. We see relationship's momentarily lost, friends get into danger on his behalf, etc. That said, it does feel fairly authentic to his character, who has a lazy, fuck-up slacker charm to him because all his pain is so visibly on the outside. It's not really a "Losers Losing" movie. It's a "Losers Doing Okay." The problem isn't really the direction. The problem is that it can't commit to whether Pete Davidson is going to change or stay the same, so it hedges in cuddly directions. The cuddliness is what I ultimately resist. Nothing quite feels hard enough in the second act. Judd Apatow isn't making a rom-com this time. It isn't Trainwreck. It isn't This is 40. This is a guy who has problems and is a problem and it just goes so ridiculously easy on his coming of age story that it feels like a celebration that the character (and even Pete Davidson) barely would believe or want to participate in.

I enjoyed the Staten Island atmosphere. Bill Burr is quite good and he spikes the energy levels to a fun new place when he shows up.

I saw Big Time Adolescence earlier this year which did not warrant a write-up. It's not a good film but at least in a supporting role that film commits to this character being a ridiculous doofus that needs to be left behind.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

The Official Review Thread of 2020

Post by anonymous1980 »

BIRDS OF PREY (or THE FANTABULOUS EMANCIPATION OF ONE HARLEY QUINN)
Cast: Margot Robbie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jurnee Smollett Bell, Rosie Perez, Ewan McGregor, Chris Messina, Ella Jay Basco, Ali Wong.
Dir: Cathy Yan.

This is Harley Quinn's solo film and a follow up of sorts to Suicide Squad....and it's a heck of a lot better. In this film Harley Quinn breaks up with the Joker and gets entangled in the scheme of an even worse super villain, the Black Mask. I was quite impressed by the visuals in this film. I'm not too familiar with director Cathy Yan but I'm not eager to see more of her work. Some of the scenes here are quite impressive. I hope that this film is a big hit and we get to see more of her work. The film has great energy and that's thanks to the cast. For all of Suicide Squad's faults, Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn is not among them. She now gets to shine here with a better movie around her. This is a solid first 2020 flick.

Oscar Prospects: This is actually worthy of Production Design, Costume Design and Makeup & Hairstyling nominations. I think Margot Robbie could score a Best Musical/Comedy Actress nomination at the Globes as well.

Grade: B+

THE INVISIBLE MAN
Cast: Elisabeth Moss, Aldis Hodge, Storm Reid, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Harriet Dyer, Michael Dorman.
Dir: Leigh Whanell.

This is the updated version of the classic "Invisible Man" monster movie. This time, the Invisible Man is an abusive, rich husband who found a way to be invisible, stalking his estranged wife. We've seen the Invisible Man trope used throughout film history in various forms. But writer-director Leigh Whanell updates this to the now, using it as an allegory for the #MeToo movement and the problem of domestic abuse. But make no mistake, this is still a pretty scary thrill ride of a horror film and it is anchored by a fantastic performance by Elisabeth Moss. It has some pretty great visual effects too. I have to say, this is an excellent start for the year in horror.

Oscar Prospects: Visual Effects is very possible and Elisabeth Moss wouldn't be a too bad contender for Best Actress but that's doubtful.

Grade: B+

ONWARD ***1/2
Cast: Tom Holland, Chris Pratt, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Octavia Spencer, Mel Rodriguez, Kyle Bornheimer, Lena Waithe, Ali Wong, Tracey Ullman, John Ratzenberger (voices).
Dir: Dan Scanlon.

In a world where fantasy creatures live like modern day humans, two elf brothers go on a quest to resurrect their dead father for one day. First off, I will say that this is mid-tier PIXAR but it is still a pretty darn good film. I wasn't so sure about the premise and it does kind of starts out a bit iffy but as it moves along, it builds and becomes an overall strong film that stays true to the unbeatable PIXAR formula of big laughs and a big heart. Tom Holland and Chris Pratt make a great team but I think Octavia Spencer steals the film as the Manticore. She is friggin' hilarious and I would love a spin-off film starring her. This is an excellent on the year in animation.

Oscar Prospects: Animated Feature is assured.

Grade: A-

THE WILLOUGHBYS
Cast: Will Forte, Maya Rudolph, Alessia Cara, Ricky Gervais, Martin Short, Jane Krakowski, Terry Crews, Sean Cullen (voices).
Dir: Kris Pearn.

A group of siblings living in an old-fashioned home with incredibly selfish and uncaring parents plot to get rid of them by encouraging them to travel. They meet a kind nanny in return. This is far from being PIXAR or even the best of Disney but I do love the look of this film. Despite it being a CGI animated film, they make it look and feel cartoony, almost like a stop-motion animated film. The plot of the film is nothing new but I do like the twists and turns the film makes as well as it's kind of dark edgy humor (I mean, for a kids family film). It is in fact also genuinely sweet as well. It's not an all-time great but it's a pretty solid quarantine watch for the kids and the adults will not mind it too much either.

Oscar Prospects: Maybe Animated Feature and Original Song.

Grade: B

EXTRACTION **1/2
Cast: Chris Hemsworth, Rudhraksh Jaiswal, Randeep Hooda, Golshifteh Farahani, Priyanshu Painyuli, David Harbour, Pankaj Tripathi.
Dir: Sam Hargraves.

A former Australian special forces soldier turned black market mercenary is hired to rescue a kidnapped son of India's biggest drug lord kidnapped by Bangladesh's biggest drug lord. This Netflix film contains some truly impressive action scenes including one that was stitched together to look like one long take. It's also slickly made and Chris Hemsworth is a worthy action star. But it feels all been-there-done-that and fairly predictable. The film is too silly to take seriously yet at the same time too brutal to be enjoyed as a silly action film. If you're craving for a new action flick for this quarantine, this would somewhat satisfy you but it's all a rather forgettable affair.

Oscar Prospects: None.

Grade: C

DA 5 BLOODS
Cast: Delroy Lindo, Clarke Peters, Jonathan Majors, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Norm Lewis, Chadwick Boseman, Jean Reno, Melanie Thierry, Jasper Pääkkönen, Paul Walter Hauser, Johnny Tri Nguyen, Le Y Tan, Veronica Ngo.
Dir: Spike Lee

The latest Spike Lee joint is about four African-American Vietnam War veterans who return to Vietnam to recover the body of a fifth fallen comrade...and to get millions of dollars worth of lost gold bars in the process. The release of this film could not be more timely. There are moments in this that eerily comments on what's been going on the past weeks. Like other Spike Lee's films, he delivers his message on this like a sledgehammer which can be both a strength and a weakness and here, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. But any reservations I have for its flaws, the film totally makes up for it by the fantastic performances of the main ensemble. Delroy Lindo is absolutely incredible in this. He is amazing in this. The rest of the cast matches him as well. Is it Spike Lee's best? No but it's definitely in the upper-tier.

Oscar Prospects: Delroy Lindo is most likely a LOCK for at least a nomination in the Best Actor race at this point (though I could see Netflix possibly frauding him in Supporting for an easier win/nomination). Picture and Screenplay are both possible as well.

Grade: A-
Last edited by anonymous1980 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2020”