A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood reviews

Sabin
Tenured Laureate

Re: A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood reviews

Postby Sabin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:32 pm

I think Tom Hanks might be very well-positioned to win for a few reasons. He's playing a beloved figure. There's been some reason enthusiasm for him to take on this role. It's been twenty-five years since his last Oscar. He's going through a mild resurgence with well-received unrecognized roles in Captain Phillips and Sully (to say nothing of his SNL appearances).

But another reasons that occurs to me... Marielle Heller. Last year, she directed Can You Ever Forgive Me? which did very well and probably was within mild striking distance of a Best Picture nomination. Less than a year later, she's going to have this film (with released in Thanksgiving will likely be a big hit). There's pressure to nominate a woman and she's carved out a very strong resume in a short period of time. Regardless of whether or not it's a great film, these factors could push A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood closer into the Best Picture circle, which certainly help Hanks' chances.
"Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough." ~ FDR

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:18 pm

I see Hanks, Pitt, Hopkins and Dafoe (The Lighthouse) plus Pacino (The Irishman), a supposedly legitimate supporting turn but slumming nonetheless.

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:44 pm

Yeah, by all accounts, the story is structured around Matthew Rhys' reporter character, with Hanks the subject of his magazine story but not the protagonist of the film.

Of course, we can cite instances where lead Oscar nominations went to the more colorful non-protagonist character over the blander nominal lead -- Denzel vis a vis Hawke in Training Day, Whitaker vis a vis McAvoy in Last King of Scotland -- but the studio seems to have settled on supporting as Hanks' slot.

Which means we have the potential for an all-slumming slate of huge stars gunning for a supporting Oscar: Hanks, Pitt, Hopkins, and one of Bale/Damon (probably the latter) in Ford v. Ferrari. The character actor community lets out a collective groan.

Sabin
Tenured Laureate

Postby Sabin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:15 pm

My critic buddy just saw it and said Tom Hanks is supporting all the way. He's in no way a lead.
"Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough." ~ FDR

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:40 am

I was hoping these reviews would give some indication of whether they are going to push Hanks for Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor, but the question remains up in the air.

Variety's glowing review focuses on Hanks' Mr. Rogers while Screen Daily clearly states that Matthew Rhys' character dominates the film while the Hollywood Reporter's meh review focuses more on director Marielle Heller.

Return to “2019”