Hustlers reviews

Okri
Tenured

Re: Hustlers reviews

Postby Okri » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:14 pm

MaxWilder wrote:J.Lo went 21 years between good movies. Will voters hold that against her? They should.

You could just as easily be describing Glenn Close.

MaxWilder
Graduate

Postby MaxWilder » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:47 am

J.Lo went 21 years between good movies. Will voters hold that against her? They should.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:24 pm

I wouldn't say that Lopez isn't a serious actress but all the reviews by critics, most of whom I've never heard of, aren't talking about her acting chops, they're talking about her ability to shimmy up and down the stripper pole at 51.

The film itself sounds like a dumbed down version of last year's Widows. I've seen some of the director's previous work. It wasn't very good.

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:05 pm

In theory, I agree with you...though I can't really come up with many examples of people I'd have nominated who'd fit the "more populist than serious, still deserving" criteria. I do think there's always been a tendency among Oscar voters to conflate "solemn" with "serious", and performances like, say, Fiennes in Grand Budapest Hotel, or Hugh Grant in Four Weddings and a Funeral, have been overlooked for less impressive work.

I will, though, confess to an aging-guy worry: I've watched critical reaction change over the past few years. It seems to me we've seen a generation (if not generations) of critics move into place who've never known a time when serious movies were also popular movies (which was the norm well into my adulthood). Because, in their experience, most any movie with ambition has been a late-Fall release geared to an awards campaign, they tend to lump all of them -- from a dull biopic like The Theory of Everything to a PTA masterpiece like Phantom Thread -- as "Oscar bait," something to be mildly disdained. Conversely, they seem to elevate (I'd say overrate) genre pieces like the ones that have been their daily bread since childhood -- super-hero movies (the Dark Knight and Black Panther pushes), horror films (Get Out their big success, but also advocacy for things like Hereditary), pure action (hello, Mad Max: Fury Road) and broad comedies (Tiffany Haddish, Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder). None of these genres strike me as generally prize-rating -- The Dark Knight and Get Out are the films that come closest for me, and I'm 50/50 on either -- but I think we're heading to a future where more and more such films get promoted into prime Oscar position, because critics, who used to dismiss such films, are now promoting them past their station.

I'm actually not sure if any of this applies to Hustlers, which may be able to pass for a serious movie on a female empowerment/critique the rich basis (though I'm thinking, commercially, it's going to ride somewhat on "watch half-naked women work the pole"). But the certain JLo campaign seems guaranteed to draw out the worst of junk-movie-loving Twitter.

Sabin
Tenured Laureate

Postby Sabin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Yeah, they'd never give it to anyone like Cameron Diaz in a million -- oh wait.

I actually don't like this game. I wouldn't have given Cameron Diaz or Tiffany Haddish the awards but I don't like snarking on accomplished comedic performance or the notion that someone like Cameron Diaz, Tiffany Haddish, or Jennifer Lopez isn't a *SERIOUS* actor and thus undeserved of such accolades. [said stuffily]
"Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough." ~ FDR

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Big Magilla wrote:
Sabin wrote:I could see critics lining up behind Jennifer Lopez for Best Supporting Actress. An Oscar, maybe not. This is the kind of performance that sounds like NYFCC.

Only if they've completely lost their minds.

Yeah, they'd never give a prize to something like Tiffany Haddish in -- Oh; wait.

Sabin
Tenured Laureate

Postby Sabin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Big Magilla wrote

Excuse me?
"Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough." ~ FDR

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:40 am

Sabin wrote:I could see critics lining up behind Jennifer Lopez for Best Supporting Actress. An Oscar, maybe not. This is the kind of performance that sounds like NYFCC.

Sabin
Tenured Laureate

Postby Sabin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:29 am

I could see critics lining up behind Jennifer Lopez for Best Supporting Actress. An Oscar, maybe not. This is the kind of performance that sounds like NYFCC.

Return to “2019”