Elimination Sign-up! - A Game to Pass the Time

atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

After five votes are cast (four are cast as of now), I will repost the character list with their new amount of points. Whenever the scoreboard is reposted, those who've already voted once can vote again. Just to keep it balanced and organized.

Thanks to those who participated thus far.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

+ Marge Gunderson
- Alonzo Harris
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

+Captain Jack Sparrow ("Pirates" trilogy)
- Colonel Frank Slade ("Scent of a Woman")
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

I was actually going to start a new thread, but that's fine; the rules are on the first post in this topic.

+Hannibal
-Scarlett
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

+ Frank Costello
- Norman Bates
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Zahveed wrote:I'll play. Hmmm, what character to use. Are there any guidelines?
Okay, so, let's say we go with the Elimination Game using movie characters:

Hannibal Lecter ("Silence of the Lambs")
Norman Bates ("Psycho")
Darth Vader ("Star Wars")
Captain Jack Sparrow ("Pirates" trilogy)
Colonel Frank Slade ("Scent of a Woman")
Alonzo Harris ("Training Day")
Frank Costello ("The Departed")
Marge Gunderson ("Fargo")
Scarlett ("Gone with the Wind")
Borat ("Borat")

I know, I know. It's a random list. But I had to pull from several different genres and years. So...

If this looks okay, fine. But still, unlike Penelope, I think playing this game with the actual players at stake would be conflicting, but still more engaging.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I'll go with whichever one happens.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I kinda like Pen's idea, but it's not similar to yours, atomic, at all. Good idea for a different game.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I'll play. Hmmm, what character to use. Are there any guidelines?
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Penelope wrote:atomicage, I have an idea--something I've been thinking about for awhile--that will fit in with your Elimination Game and, yet, shape it to the interests of this board without "hurting" any feelings directly (well, as far as that goes).

Here's how The Oscar Elimination Game could work:

The first player, say, me, selects an Oscar category from a particular year (any year that I choose) and replaces the winner with one of the other nominees; then that category from that year is out of contention; I assign the category/year for the next player, who eliminates the winner and replaces that person (or persons) with one of the other nominees; and so on, until all categories/years are changed.

For example, say I choose Best Actress 2004: I eliminate Hilary Swank and replace her with Kate Winslet; then that category for that year is out of contention; the next player is Damien, and I select Best Supporting Actress 1995 for him to eliminate the winner; he eliminates Mira Sorvino and replaces her with Kate Winslet, and so that category for that year is out of play; the next player is Italiano and Damien selects Best Actress 2006 for him to eliminate the winner; Italiano eliminates Helen Mirren and replaces her with Kate Winslet; etc., etc.

Obviously, there will be categories where we don't want to eliminate the winner, so each player has 3 passes--the winner remains the winner and that category/year is out of contention; but, once those three passes are used, the player must eliminate the winner and select a choice from one of the other nominees; thus, if you must eliminate Casablanca, then, sorry, you must.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
With all due respect, Penelope, I don't get it.

However, how about this? It would be played exactly the way that my game was going to be played, with the + and - and everything. However, instead of attacking and promoting one another, we do that with a list of classic movie characters.

Let's say we organize a list of, I don't know, ten different film characters, and go about it that way. Instead of a

+Sabin
-Okri

sort of thing, it could instead be a

+Hannibal Lecter
-Hal 3000

What do you think about that? Instead of making it personal, just sort of promote your favorite characters and - away the points of your least favorite?

P.S. If anything, this sort of combines our ideas together, I think.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

ummm...sure why not
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

atomicage, I have an idea--something I've been thinking about for awhile--that will fit in with your Elimination Game and, yet, shape it to the interests of this board without "hurting" any feelings directly (well, as far as that goes).

Here's how The Oscar Elimination Game could work:

The first player, say, me, selects an Oscar category from a particular year (any year that I choose) and replaces the winner with one of the other nominees; then that category from that year is out of contention; I assign the category/year for the next player, who eliminates the winner and replaces that person (or persons) with one of the other nominees; and so on, until all categories/years are changed.

For example, say I choose Best Actress 2004: I eliminate Hilary Swank and replace her with Kate Winslet; then that category for that year is out of contention; the next player is Damien, and I select Best Supporting Actress 1995 for him to eliminate the winner; he eliminates Mira Sorvino and replaces her with Kate Winslet, and so that category for that year is out of play; the next player is Italiano and Damien selects Best Actress 2006 for him to eliminate the winner; Italiano eliminates Helen Mirren and replaces her with Kate Winslet; etc., etc.

Obviously, there will be categories where we don't want to eliminate the winner, so each player has 3 passes--the winner remains the winner and that category/year is out of contention; but, once those three passes are used, the player must eliminate the winner and select a choice from one of the other nominees; thus, if you must eliminate Casablanca, then, sorry, you must.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Please, all those who feel it necessary to deem forum games childish, please refrain from doing so. I realize now that there is not a single game such as this on this forum. And at every discussion board I've been a part of, I've found that this really keeps people interested in the community, despite the fact that it pits people against one another. So here goes,

The Rules
This is a game very similar to Tag, save for the fact that you have both a positive and a negative tag every round. What happens is, after everyone who is willing to play is signed up (I will get to that in a moment), the first round begins. Let's say, for example, that Sabin, Okri, Bog and I are all signed up. We all start with ten points.

AtomicAge - 10
Bog - 10
Okri - 10
Sabin - 10

Any of us can go at any time. Let's say I go post first, something that looks like this:

+Sabin
-Okri

That would immediately make the score as follows:

AtomicAge - 10
Bog - 10
Okri - 9
Sabin - 11

You see? With every turn you get, you are allowed to both give someone a point, and take one away from someone else. Notice that the points I took from Okri did not roll over to me, but rather, disappeared into thin air.

However, there is a catch. After you have your turn, you can not + or - anyone until the round is over. And, this is the key here, the current round does not end until every player has had a turn.

Let's say that I've had a turn, Sabin's had a turn, Okri's had a turn... but Bog hasn't done anything yet. He has five days to have his turn before the next round begins without him having a turn the first time around. This allows so that, were a player to become inactive during the game, it would not affect the rest of the people involved.

Now, usually the game stops when it gets to the top three. You are out of the game once your points reach zero. Your objective is to keep yourself afloat, though that will be difficult with allies and rivals flopping back and forth every round.

The rules, as you can see, are pretty simple. And while this may seem like a tool to create feud amongst the members of this forum, I promise that it will not create anymore tension than is apparent during some of our prediction debates.

I ask that all those who want to be involved post on this thread. This will allow for me to make up a player list. Once I feel we have enough players, I will start a new thread entitled "Elimination Game!" (simply enough, right?), and we can begin to play there. I ask that all of you who "sign up" be willing to commit at least partially to this game so that it doesn't die halfway through.

I look forward to hearing from you, guys.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”