Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

--Penelope wrote:Frost/Nixon (2008; Ron Howard) 7/10

Better than I expected, primarily due to the excellent performances; still, the pacing isn't very strong--there were moments when my eyes glazed over.

Agree with the rating, although I thought the pacing was strong. Did have a problem with Morgan's historical revisionism, and Oliver Platt and Sam Rockwell, as Frick and Frack, respectively, play two of the more punchable characters of the year, threatening at times to turn it into an Aaron Sorkin smugfest. It's a well-done movie, and at the end, the final scene between Nixon and Frost is quite moving. If Howard had just kept it on Nixon after Frost left, it would've made a really strong ending, but unfortunately he had to cut away to Frost driving cross-country, having gotten the girl, and Rockwell's character opening his smug yap about how the only thing Nixon ever accomplished was that political scandals now have "-gate" after them, or some such nonsense, and THEN back to Nixon, standing there alone. Those final shots of Nixon standing alone out there in his back yard could've been pretty moving, but the emotional impact was lost in those cutaways.

Enjoyable movie, even with two of the most annoying people yet born sitting behind me in the theatre. They were those people who thought they had gone to see a comedy, and decided that they had to laugh at every third line, whether it was meant to be funny or not.

Also saw Doubt, which was enjoyable as camp, but insane as serious drama. More to come on that one.

Also saw, for the millionth time (actually only the third or fourth, but once was too much), the trailer for that Julia Roberts and Clive Owen thing, Duplicity. It's one of those trailers I hate--it seems so sure of how charming and intelligent and funny it is, and how explosive the chemistry between its stars is. I've never been so sick of a trailer.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1276693622
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Frost/Nixon (2008; Ron Howard) 7/10

Better than I expected, primarily due to the excellent performances; still, the pacing isn't very strong--there were moments when my eyes glazed over.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Eric, your facts in your Slant review of The Stewardesses are a bit off.

The version that made all that money in 1971 was the infamous re-cut with body doubles that turned the original X-rated 1969 film into the XXX hit that Mister Tee recalls. The DVD release version is the original 1969 film.

FYI, the re-issue of Mary Poppins is indeed the same transfer as the 40th Anniversary Edition and serves only to publicize the touring version of the London and Broadway hit, the highlight of which is star Ashley Brown's dog harmonizing with her in warm-up. You didn't miss anything in not watching those "extras".
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Eric wrote:The Stewardesses: *½
Is this the legendary skinflick -- seen by most of us almost forty years ago as The Stewardesses in 3-D?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

The Stewardesses: *½
Bolt: **
Oliver & Company: *½
Mary Poppins: **½

(On the Disney beat again.)

Edited By Eric on 1233450032
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

WALL•E
9.5/10
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Bog wrote:And who sees a shit ton of films...Precious I'm always impressed with the sheer quantity of films that go up here on a weekly basis!
What enables me to see a relatively large number of films is that I do not watch TV, don't do housework of any kind (pay someone to do that) and have the advantage of living close to my place of work which means no long journeys on public transport.

I start and finish work at whatever time I want provided that I work the required hours within the month.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I'm very surprised to hear that Black Ice was (is) shown in theatres in Australia. I hate to admit I haven't seen it myself yet, I plan to see it, but I'm waiting for the television run. I rarely see Finnish films on theatres anymore, in fact, I have recently skipped some of them even on television. Ten years ago it seemed like the quality was improving, and I tried to see almost all new releases, but that didn't last very long.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

And who sees a shit ton of films...Precious I'm always impressed with the sheer quantity of films that go up here on a weekly basis!
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Precious Doll wrote:Smiley Face (2007) Gregg Araki 2/10

Wow! What a fall! From the brilliance of Mysterious Skin to this and to add salt to the wound the usually reliable Anna Faris is annoying and one note.
Totally (though I don't think Mysterious Skin was "brilliant" so much as just solid). It's nice that there's someone else here whose grading curve is tougher than my own.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Doubt
8/10

Yes Man
7.5/10

Role Models
6/10
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Times and Winds (2006) Reha Erdem 7/10

Dance of the Wind (1997) Rajan Khosa 4/10

Adulthood (2008) Noel Clarke 1/10

Smiley Face (2007) Gregg Araki 2/10

Wow! What a fall! From the brilliance of Mysterious Skin to this and to add salt to the wound the usually reliable Anna Faris is annoying and one note.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

The No1 Ladies' Detective Agency 5/10

Anthony Minghella's last film as a director is an ok made for TV movie, with the main appeal being it's protagonist and the african setting. It is written by Richard Curtis, but it has really nothing new to offer.

Personal Effects 2/10

Why the hell did Michelle Pfeiffer agreed to do this? We know she doesn't need the money, so i guess she either needs the research (older woman/younger man relationship) for Cheri or she owed big time to the producers. This plays like an average TV movie, that has no purpose of existing. It will probably be released straight to dvd, and it deserves so. Ashton Kutcher is mediocre as always, the lighting is bad (to the point that Pfeiffer looks her age at some scenes), and there are also some very annoying zoom in/outs.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Heksagon wrote:I'm stunned that someone on this board has seen Black Ice - and it isn't me. Where did you find that film?
It's been given a cinema release in Australia which came as a surprise after seeing actually seeing the film. What on earth possessed a distributor to pick the film up and a cinema to actually show what should have gone straight to cable TV. It's now in it's third week.

I found this beautifully filmed film, silly stuff to begin with but very watchable until about the 80 minute mark when it lurches into totally absurd territory. The writer should have no problems selling the story to Hollywood.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Paul Blart: Mall Cop (2009; Steve Carr) 5/10

It's as dumb as you'd expect it to be, yet, it's strangely endearing, and even occasionally inspired: the early scene involving Survivor's "I Can't Hold Back" is genuinely brilliant.

Edited By Penelope on 1233347603
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “Other Film Discussions”