Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Franklyn (2009) Gerald McMorrow 2/10

Zombieland (2009) Ruben Fleischer 6/10

Away We Go (2009) Sam Mendes 6/10

Wake in Fright (1970) Ted Kotcheff 8/10 (2nd viewing in 20 years)
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Zahveed wrote:It's been an animated weekend for me

It started out like any other relaxing Friday evening, but, unbeknownst to them, this would be their WEEKEND IN HELL!!!!!

Edited By Damien on 1260777946
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

It's been an animated weekend for me:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - 8/10
Castle in the Sky - 7/10
Princess Mononoke - 9/10

The above Miyazaki films were seen in Japanese with English subtitles.

The Princess and the Frog - 8/10

Great animation, decent songs (I'd put it above Pocahontas but below Hercules - if that helps any), and an excellent villain. The story had a chance to be original, but there are so many nudges and "inside jokes" to past Disney films that it borders on satire and ends up being predictable. If you're into drinking games, bring your flask and take a hit after each Disney reference.

Edited By Zahveed on 1260766313
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Hangover (Todd Phillips) - 5/10

The Road (John Hillcoat) - 8/10
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

The Witnesses (Andre Techine, 2007) 7/10

This story of a love quadrangle set amid the early AIDS epidemic in Paris sounds like soap opera meets disease movie of the week, and that's pretty much what it is, but Techine handles the material deftly with just a few awkward/forced moments. Terrific cast, especially Sami Bouajila as the (sexy) bisexual cop.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Paranormal Activity (2009) Oren Peli 2/10

Me and My Brother (1969) Robert Frank 7/10

9 (2009) Shane Acker 4/10

Barocco (1976) Andre Techine 4/10

Helen (2009) Christine Molloy & Joe Lawlor 7/10

Adventures in Sahara (1938) D Ross Lederman 4/10

Shank (2009) Simon Pearce 3/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Portrait of Jennie (William Dieterle, 1948) 8/10

One of the great fantasy romances of all time. Joseph Cotten, Jennifer Jones and Ethel Barrymore are superb. My only quibble......why did they put in the green and brown tints at the end?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Maid of Salem (Frank Lloyd, 1937) 7/10

Surprisingly a solid film which perfectly captures the mass hysteria during the Salem Witch trials. A superb cast helps things along although Claudette Colbert is the only member of the cast who is all made up. Despite that she gives an excellent performance.

No Time For Love (Mitchell Leisen, 1943) 6/10

Fred MacMurray & Claudette Colbert made an excellent team. Amusing film with a great supporting cast. An Oscar nominee for it's art direction.

The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (Tony Scott, 2009) 4/10

I can't recall the 1974 version with Walter Matthau but I enjoyed the interplay between Denzel Washington and John Travolta here. Otherwise it's the usual Michael Bay school of film making.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Ils (Moreau & Palud) - 6/10

Not bad. Very similar to The Strangers; lacking the chills early on, but more cohesive. Good, nasty ending. Kinda meh.

Wolf Creek (McLean) - 7.5/10

One of the most upsetting films I've ever seen. Beautiful nightmarish imagery. Impossibly bleak in equating tourists to human game. Several leaps in logic fail to bog down narrative. Good.
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Boogie (2008) Radu Muntean 6/10

Anything For Her (2008) Fred Cavaye 3/10

Bigga than Ben (2008) S A Halewood 3/10

Sauna (2008) Antti-Jussi Annila 2/10

Dead Snow (2009) Tommy Wirkola 2/10

Where the Wild Things Are (2009) Spike Jonze 4/10
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I Met Him in Paris (Wesley Ruggles, 1937) 6/10

A pleasant diversion with the three leads, Claudette Colbert, Melvyn Douglas & Robert Young, doing what they did best in this screwball film.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

(500) Days of Summer - (2009) - Marc Webb

9/10

What a great surprise. Loved it!
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Finally saw the much-hyped TV version of Days of Wine and Roses. I think Piper Laurie's final scene is excellent, and she's heartbreaking in different ways than Lee Remick's final scene in the film version. But oh my God, her big drunk scene is something to see. I honestly don't quite know what to say. All I could think while watching it was this: This must be how Janis Joplin behaved while on a drug binge. She even looks like her, with the awful dress, and the shag hair. To be honest, I thought that scene was absolutely embarrassing--one of the worst pieces of acting I've ever seen in anything. When that scene ended, I could not believe what I had witnessed. It was like watching a mentally challenged person misbehave in public.

I've seen performers go to some pretty big extremes of good/awful in one movie, but those are scenes that were shot individually, days, weeks and sometimes months apart. But this was a live TV broadcast; Piper Laurie went from unbelievably terrible to pretty excellent in the space of about twenty minutes.

Edited By dws1982 on 1260250568
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Julie & Julia (Nora Ephron, 2009) 6/10

I enjoyed the period detail, the music and the relationship between Julia and her husband in the Parisian ''Julia'' sequences. The ''Julie'' sections with Amy Adams were also surprisingly quite enjoyable.

After all the critical dissection of Meryl Streep in the Best Actress threads, I can now understand what everyone was saying. What a ''busy'' performance she gives here....that voice, accent and mannerisms......although I did not find it annoying. Was amused to see her gain height.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

The Road - 8/10

A very powerful, realistic (one would guess) portrayal of a post-apocalyptic world right down to cannibalism. Its execution of the dream scenes are probably the most plausible I've ever seen in a film. The entire piece is utterly depressing with only a few pencil holes in the box to let in some kind of light.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox - 10/10

I couldn't find anything not to like about this film.

Let the Right One In - 9/10

Disturbingly touching, in a way. I haven't read the book, but I have particular interpretation of this film.

Shaolin Soccer - 7/10

This was pretty funny, but Kung Fu Hustle had a better story and better choreography.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “Other Film Discussions”