Early 2010 Oscar Candidates

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

--Bog wrote:I'll go out on a "limb" and disagree totally with that statement.

What, with the Pixar assumption?

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860575
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If there are enough eligible pics, it could end up with 5 nominees.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I'll go out on a "limb" and disagree totally with that statement.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

--MovieWes wrote:Best Animated Feature
9 (FYI, this is not to be confused with Nine)
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel
Astro Boy
A Christmas Carol
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Coraline
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
Monsters vs. Aliens
Planet 51
The Princess and the Frog
Up

I have some strange feeling that Pixar won't get its annual nomination this year.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox

These are the ones I'm feeling will be acknowledged. That's one CGI, one stop-motion, and one traditional. It's way too early to start narrowing hopefuls down, but these are the ones that pop out at me.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860582
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Don't forget Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea.

Not sure if Sylvan Chomet's animated production of the unmade Tati script the Illusionist will be ready and released by the end of the year.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Best Animated Feature
9 (FYI, this is not to be confused with Nine)
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel
Astro Boy
A Christmas Carol
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Coraline
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
Monsters vs. Aliens
Planet 51
Up

Best Visual Effects
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Land of the Lost
The Lovely Bones
Race to Witch Mountain
Star Trek
Terminator Salvation
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Watchmen
Where the Wild Things Are
The Wolfman
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Edited By MovieWes on 1236030556
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

--Sabin wrote:And Julia Child is half-negroe.

Then pity Sigourney Weaver was not chosen for the part. She needs to make a comeback at the Oscars as well.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860453
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

--Greg wrote:
--Snick's Guy wrote:Meryl turns 60 this summer, so she needs to nab her third award in the next ten years or so.

Katharine Hepburn won a Best Actress Oscar in her 70s and Jessica Tandy won a Best Actress Oscar in her 80s.

Maybe Meryl can win one in her 90's. That gives her another thirty years!

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860460
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

--Snick's Guy wrote:Meryl turns 60 this summer, so she needs to nab her third award in the next ten years or so.

Katharine Hepburn won a Best Actress Oscar in her 70s and Jessica Tandy won a Best Actress Oscar in her 80s.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860473
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

--Mister Tee wrote:Making any stab at predicting Oscars right now is a show of wankery that even I try to resist.

However...some things can be said with certainty, and one of them is, anyone who looks at Shutter Island as a major contender simply hasn't read the book. It's an utter potboiler, with a twist ending that...let's say...will seem just a bit familiar to anyone who's been a regular movie-goer in the past decade. Scorsese's a gem, but he'd need a complete rewrite on this one to get it into AMPAS territory.

That didn't stop them from giving Scorsese nominations (and even the win) for mediocre films before.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860481
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I don't understand why nobody is offended at the idea of Meryl Streep playing the 6'2 Julia Child. Meryl Streep is clearly between 5'5 and 5'6. They couldn't find a tall actress to play this part? Or do people really want to pretend that Sigourney Weaver is too busy? This is heightism!

And Julia Child is half-negroe.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860618
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Making any stab at predicting Oscars right now is a show of wankery that even I try to resist.

However...some things can be said with certainty, and one of them is, anyone who looks at Shutter Island as a major contender simply hasn't read the book. It's an utter potboiler, with a twist ending that...let's say...will seem just a bit familiar to anyone who's been a regular movie-goer in the past decade. Scorsese's a gem, but he'd need a complete rewrite on this one to get it into AMPAS territory.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

Rolo, why do you think there are people on this board that are offended by the possibility of lincoln being black? I don't really get that and you keep repeating it, like your sure this board and a lot of this country would go into mourning if it was proved that lincoln turned out to be part black.....i'm sure if it was true that there will be those who just flat out never will believe it even if the proof was right in front of them, but i don't think it would be outrage, just closemindedness. And i don't think there any on this board that would even really care beyond the point of it being interesting. I mean we are a pretty liberal bunch here and you keep repeating that we couldn't handle that a guy like lincoln was part black and that is the only reason we are argueing with you....i find that to be a little offensive and it just doesn't make much sense...when you walk down the street are you assuming most of the people next to you are racists? i'm not saying there isn't a lot of racism and prejudice in general in this country but you seem to not like giving people the benifit of the doubt until they prove you wrong and i'm not sure thats the right way to be...i'm not saying i'm right about your thinking, just wondering your opinion on all of that. Thanks.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

I haven't seen any pre-Oscar buzz surrounding one of two Meryl Streep movies for 2009, that being "Julie and Julia".

This is a film I am really looking forward to, and hope it will land her 16th nomination (and maybe a third win).

Meryl turns 60 this summer, so she needs to nab her third award in the next ten years or so.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

If Taking Woodstock has a chance, I'd like to see Demetri Martin nominated too.

Return to “2009”