New Developments III

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Eric wrote:Not to be Italiano about it, but were you all sleepwalking to the fact that you live in America?
Actually, the polls I've seen show the American people split down the middle as to whether more troops should be sent to Afghanistan.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Not to be Italiano about it, but were you all sleepwalking to the fact that you live in America?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Ooh. Yeaaaaaaah. This is bad. Until the post-apocalypse, no war is going to come down to landmines.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Add me to Disillusioned. It Was Nice While It Lasted. Damn, it was so much nicer being in favor of the President than not, but -- quel surprise! -- here I am forced into negative territory.

Edited By Damien on 1259132117
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The troops thing doesn't really bother me since we're still trying to clean up Bush's fuck ups...and by sending needed troops in, we can hope things will go more like Iraq when it finally got the troops it needed.

But the Landmines thing is bull shit. Obama should know better than that. Who gives a fuck if our security needs them? A five year old wandering accidentally into a mind field sure doesn't feel secure when blown up by one.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Bill Moyers, who was Press Secretary to Lyndon Johnson, has some thoughts on Obama and Afghanistan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvGmzen5X-s
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Here's a video of someone who "punked" a tea party. He gave an anti-immigration speech where he came out against European immigration and led the crowd in a chant of "Columbus go home!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O66qDqfZm7k
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't necessarily think this is a "we must fight Al Qaeda so they don't attack us" war...and I don't think the Administration believes that either. They may hint at or outright say that, but that's because the small-minded American public is probably too stupid to understand the truth.

Bush and company helped destabilize the region with their ill-funded, ill-conceived war. Now that Obama has inherited that, he is attempting to fix what we fucked up in the first place, hopefully attempting to bring some measure of order to the chaos. At least, I'm going to hope that's the case.

And regarding the nose thumbing of Republicans I say that it is more of a side benefit of the whole thing. While trying to fix the region, Obama has the capability of earning victory and showing that he's not as weak on foreign policy matters as the Republicans claim. I doubt he would stay in there for simply that reason, but it's an added benefit and that was my point, not that it was their internal justification of the action.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I see no legitimacy in the claim of, "We have to fight them there so we won't fight them here," whether there is Iraq, Afghanistan, or any other place out there. For Al-Qaeda, the organization responsible for 9-11, there is no there there. They are not a country. They are not a government. They are a roving band of thugs that are only too happy to set up shop in a small portion of any country that has a central government too weak to keep them out, like many countries in the region.

If the U.S. military defeats Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan, they will simply move to the mountainous region of eastern Pakistan; if the U.S. defeats Al-Qaeda in Pakistan, they will move to Yemen; if defeated in Yemen, then the Sudan, then Somalia, then Rwanda.

Additionally, there is no evidence that Al-Qaeda can make an attack on the United States from outside the borders of the United States, such as pushing some buttons and launching some bombs. It appears to me, then, that the most effective way to confront the terrorists is through domestic law enforcement, with more metal detectors, police officers, video cameras in public places with large numbers of people gathering, etc. The best way to protect Americans is truly to fight them here rather than fight them there.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Sonic Youth wrote:Heksagon, there will never be enough troops to make a significant difference in acheiving the desired end result (whatever that is). Eventually, the Taliban will reorganize, unless our intention is to maintain a strict military presence in Afghanistan for a century or so.

That is probably true. There are really no good alternatives here; pulling out may well be the least evil. I have no idea what the U.S. government can hope to achieve by staying in the country. What I'm trying to emphasize is, there are two alternatives: pull out, or establish some military objectives (whatever they are) and then try to achieve those. The former might be the "leave" option and the latter the "blood and tears" option. This may not be a good way of putting this, but staying there with too few troops would be the "first blood and tears, then we leave" alternative. If the U.S government cannot commit itself to specific objectives, then it should probably start pulling out now, not later. Staying in the country without sufficient troops to fulfill any military objectives would be inviting disaster. That is the point I'm trying to make.

There is also the issue that besides American troops, there are also many "Coalition" troops in the country. Except for British, French and Canadian (?) troops, they are used mostly to garrison the northern parts of the country. Even if the Unites States decides to stay, if it does not commit itself with adequate troops, the Coalition troops may decide to pull out on their own. It is difficult to say what would happen then, but it would possibly force the United States to pull out anyway.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Except the White House is denying they made any decision on Afghanistan

So it was either a mistake or a trial balloon. For all we know it'll be 38,000 additional troops anyway, but they didn't want to announce until after the holidays. Anyway, Bush isn't the only president who draws things out.

Heksagon, there will never be enough troops to make a significant difference in acheiving the desired end result (whatever that is). Eventually, the Taliban will reorganize, unless our intention is to maintain a strict military presence in Afghanistan for a century or so. Is that what we want?

Despite what pundits like Alexander Cockburn says, pulling out isn't an attractive alternative either. The repurcussions would be potentially disasterous. There is no viable civillian government. The U.N. doesn't seem to want any part of this. Nor, for damn sure, do Afghanistan's regional neighbors. There is no good answer here, but that includes increasing troops. Will it decrease casualties? Maybe, but to what end? To maintain a puppet government? We've had several opportunities to oversee fair elections. What a joke that turned out to be.

And if one of the reasons to send more soldiers to die is to rebuke the Republicans and tell them to stfu, then I'd be happy with impeachment right now. No responsible leader should ever use spite as a reason to make serious life-or-death military decisions. This is not a playground tantrum.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1257866524
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Indeed, no surprise.

It is properly understood that the only sensible alternatives are to pull out or send more troops. If you want to pull out, that's fine, as far as you're prepared to live with the consequences. But if you're going to stay and fight, it would be completely insane to try and do so with insufficient troops.

It was one of Bush and Rumsfeld's many mistakes that they tried to stabilize Iraq with troop levels that they knew were inadequate. It is disappointing - but not surprising - that some Democrats would now want to repeat that mistake with respect to Afghanistan. It is illusory to believe that operating with lower troops levels would be politically cheaper. In purely financial terms, it is of course true that fewer troops cost less, but that makes little difference. The fact is that more troops results in fewer casualties, and a better chance of achieving military objectives - whatever they happen to be in Afghanistan.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Until things stabilize in Afghanistan, I expect this. It's also a way to "give the commanders what they need" in a way to rebuke the Bush administration for not doing that and thus drawing things out...see what happened in Iraq when fully operated? Things are finally winding down there.

I'm not saying I don't want these wars to end, because I do, but I think Obama's doing things reasonably and in a way that tells Republicans to stfu.
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Greg wrote:OH NO!!!
What, you were expecting a pull-out? This shouldn't come as a surprise at all.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Current Events”