Box Office Predix - What will be the blockbusters of 08?

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

rolotomasi99 wrote:[the other sentence which i found odd was, "If the script and acting are great..." uh, i love james cameron as much as the next fanboy, but since when have his movies been known for great scripts or acting? despite all its nominations, the writers refused to recognize TITANIC for its screenplay.
Cameron's screenwriting abilities are negligible, but he seems to have a knack for guiding actors, particularly female actors, to great things: Sigourney Weaver, Kate Winslet and Gloria Stuart all received Oscar nods under his direction, and Linda Hamilton and Jamie Lee Curtis both enjoyed career-high performances working with him.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

To each his own. Why again do we both live in the same exact neighborhood, yet have never met up for a drink?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:I still don't understand how you can take the time to put every film title in CAPS, yet you can't properly capitalize sentences. Why? Why? WHY!?!?!?!
i was just thinking about you flipp!

at first i just did it because it was quick, but now i do it as my signature style of typing.

the fact that you notice warms my heart. :D
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I still don't understand how you can take the time to put every film title in CAPS, yet you can't properly capitalize sentences. Why? Why? WHY!?!?!?!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

MovieWes wrote:I think that the furthest The Dark Knight can possibly go (and this is as liberal as possible) is no more than $560 million, but honestly I believe that it won't make more than $510 million. Titanic is at least safe for now.

That said, there are two other films on the horizon that I think could pose a possible threat to Titanic. The first is next Christmas's big release Avatar, which just happens to be James Cameron's first feature since Titanic, and which is said to have the most photo-realistic visual effects ever committed to film (and it's also going to be in 3-D, so people are going to want to see it in the theater). If the script and acting are great, then I believe it could gross as much as $850 million.

The second is The Hobbit in December 2011, which I think will gross between $650-700 million. After all, The Phantom Menace grossed an inflation adjusted total of $600 million and The Hobbit is going to be every bit as anticipated as that film was.

???

"the most photo-realistic visual effects ever committed to film." where have i heard that compliment before. oh, right! the FINAL FANTASY film. considered one of the biggest bombs in box office history.
great f/x may help a film have a huge opening, but are not enough to keep a movie going. THE DARK KNIGHT has hardly any big f/x scenes, and yet it is beating the pants off of all the other f/x heavy films of this year.
the other sentence which i found odd was, "If the script and acting are great..." uh, i love james cameron as much as the next fanboy, but since when have his movies been known for great scripts or acting? despite all its nominations, the writers refused to recognize TITANIC for its screenplay.

i think the biggest stumbling block for AVATAR (in addition to its horrible title) is the fact that it is an unkown commodity. almost all the films in the box office top ten are either sequels or adapted from a popular comic book character. only the first STAR WARS, ET, and TITANIC where original films. ET was released at the apex of spielberg's popularity, so he was the known commodity. TITANIC was the "perfect" film, being able to attract every demographic of filmgoer, faced no competition, and received a huge boost from its oscar triumph. STAR WARS is the only film in the top ten to come out of nowhere to become a blockbuster. the STAR WARS films are also the only movies in the box office top twenty to take place in outer space, as AVATAR does.

sure, james cameron's name alone will get some people excited, but outside of fanboy and movie websites most people are not familiar with his name. the more than 10 year span since TITANIC has left james cameron without the cache to open a film on his celebrity alone. i think AVATAR will make $300 million at the most.

as for THE HOBBIT, since warner bros decided to split one perfectly good book into two movies, as well as THE DEATHLY HOLLOWS, i am praying to the movie gods to punish the greedy studio. just like THE PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN sequels and THE MATRIX sequels (also warner bros), the executives are taking one movie's worth of a story and stretching it out to two movies so they can rake in as much cash as possible. i know some believe THE HOBBIT should/could be adapted into three movies, but the story is one book for a reason. it is not epic like THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. it reads more like a travelogue, with amusing side stories and fastidious descriptions of meals and such.

the same goes for THE DEATHLY HOLLOWS. it is not necessary to stretch that book into a five hour movie split in two.

i think audiences will pick up on the studio fucking with them just like they did with THE PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN and THE MATRIX sequels where the second sequel did far less than the first...or at least i hope so. warner bros deserves to be punished for its arrogance and greed. hopefully audiences agree. :angry: :p

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1217867706
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Oh, word. Thanks, Damien.
"How's the despair?"
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I think that the furthest The Dark Knight can possibly go (and this is as liberal as possible) is no more than $560 million, but honestly I believe that it won't make more than $510 million. Titanic is at least safe for now.

That said, there are two other films on the horizon that I think could pose a possible threat to Titanic. The first is next Christmas's big release Avatar, which just happens to be James Cameron's first feature since Titanic, and which is said to have the most photo-realistic visual effects ever committed to film (and it's also going to be in 3-D, so people are going to want to see it in the theater). If the script and acting are great, then I believe it could gross as much as $850 million.

The second is The Hobbit in December 2011, which I think will gross between $650-700 million. After all, The Phantom Menace grossed an inflation adjusted total of $600 million and The Hobbit is going to be every bit as anticipated as that film was.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sabin wrote:
...thus why I told him to fuck off.

Never heard "thus" paired with the rest of the sentence before in my life.
:D Sabin, I'm so glad you're here!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:Now, that lead was increased by Iron Man's strong performance in second-run theaters, so the race isn't nearly over, but it's good news for everyone who wanted Iron Man to not lose out to Indiana Jones.
That is good news.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

...thus why I told him to fuck off.

Never heard "thus" paired with the rest of the sentence before in my life.
"How's the despair?"
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Oh, come on now. You know I was just joking around. If you decided to take it as an insult, then maybe you should lighten up.

And I'm not even going to comment on your crass and completely uncalled for comeback. Some things are just better left alone.

Edited By MovieWes on 1217819299
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Okay, everybody, chill.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I just didn't think his attitude was called for. I voiced my displeasure with constantly reading about it...MovieWes decided to turn it into an insult game, thus why I told him to fuck off.

As for beating Mummy 3 as being news? 1) It only barely beat Mummy 3. 2) So what? It's not like Mummy 3 was going to have great repeat business anyway...it had a few fanboys left over from its previous run and that's about it.

Now, to put things in perspective. Spider-Man still holds the record for best third weekend and it dropped less than 40% whereas Dark Knight dropped more than. Not much more. Just because it sits ahead of Spider-Man at this point doesn't mean anything if it drops harder and faster than.

The real news you people should be discussing is the fact that Iron Man is still holding onto its hair-thin lead over Crystal Skull. Now, that lead was increased by Iron Man's strong performance in second-run theaters, so the race isn't nearly over, but it's good news for everyone who wanted Iron Man to not lose out to Indiana Jones.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1217814191
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:Why don't you fuck off.
I'm glad we're so civil.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Penelope wrote:I wonder if fanboys are going back to see the film just so it takes over the #1 slot from Titanic. Regardless, I still say it's the worst movie I've seen so far this year.
The last time I heard about an effort like that was when The Phantom Menace came out in 1999. The fanboys of that film failed and I don't think TDK will make it either.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes

Return to “2008”